The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:43 am 
Site Admin

Ya know, sometimes when I read these threads, I'm often reminded of this scene (NSFW):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axkjkD0PcOU

But back to the topic at hand......my good friend Steve Carter (who many of you 'round these parts know as carter9000) has attended the Aero Horrorthon in L.A. for the past few years. He always gives them glowing reviews, mainly due to the charismatic host, goofy short subjects, free food, etc. It's odd, because I've had the same reaction as many of you to some of their lineups. But according to Carter, the spirit of the event is so strong that the films themselves are often a secondary part of the attraction. And, as has been the case with many a memorable Marathon, a seemingly weak lineup can often gel in unexpected ways, offering the audience a chance to revisit a lost classic or see an apparently rotten film under the right circumstances.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:52 am 

What miss out of seeing Suspira on 35MM?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:12 pm 

I don't *want* to miss out on Suspiria. I don't want to miss any part of this line-up. And if the 'thon wasn't actually on Halloween weekend? Nothing would keep me away.

But my wife isn't so keen on losing her husband for the weekend when all the Halloween parties and events will be going on. And I've got a Heroes Alliance event in the morning again, and after a year now of having Heroes Alliance events before every marathon and then being completely exhausted and wiped out before the marathon begins, leading to me being too tired to really enjoy the event, I kind of promised I wasn't going to do another marathon if I had an event that morning.

All of which? Doesn't change the fact that I'm really, really bummed that I'll probably miss this line-up, and I'm still trying to figure out if there's some way around it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:28 pm 

Exactly, Joe. I started a thread for the L.A. Horror Marathon(s) in the CAMERA OBSCURA section:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1682

Joe Neff wrote:
Ya know, sometimes when I read these threads, I'm often reminded of this scene (NSFW):

But back to the topic at hand......my good friend Steve Carter (who many of you 'round these parts know as carter9000) has attended the Aero Horrorthon in L.A. for the past few years. He always gives them glowing reviews, mainly due to the charismatic host, goofy short subjects, free food, etc. It's odd, because I've had the same reaction as many of you to some of their lineups. But according to Carter, the spirit of the event is so strong that the films themselves are often a secondary part of the attraction. And, as has been the case with many a memorable Marathon, a seemingly weak lineup can often gel in unexpected ways, offering the audience a chance to revisit a lost classic or see an apparently rotten film under the right circumstances.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:34 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
And, as has been the case with many a memorable Marathon, a seemingly weak lineup can often gel in unexpected ways, offering the audience a chance to revisit a lost classic or see an apparently rotten film under the right circumstances.

Actually, yea - if I were in LA, I'd go, regardless. As weak as the line-up seems, I can see how it could turn out to be quite entertaining. Shatner fighting hordes of spiders? Yes, please! And, The Sentinel - I have kind of a nostalgic spot for that one (plus, hey, early Christopher Walken). I can find reasons for all of those, individually, to be good marathon movies.

But, my main issue with it is that a full half of the films are from the same year, and the entire line-up only spans 12 years, 1977-1989. I like just a little more diversity. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:18 pm 

Actually there's 3 good films at the LA marathon. The Fly is a classic and only a fool would dispute that. But The Sentinel is a very underrated film too and if the print is the same one that played Chicago a couple of years ago it's pretty flawless. But Amityville Horror 2 is a really undervalued movie that I admit to not seeing until last year. It's way better than the original IMHO. It's got this dreamlike surreal quality that only an Italian director from the early 80's could bring to it. The other titles aren't that good, but I'm sure it'll be a fun event.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:35 pm 

Now I admit to having a soft spot for some extremely crappy horror (are we sure it's not too late to get a print of Slaughter High?? Stagefright? Dawn Of The Mummy??), but regardless, I don't mind admitting that I would be really into that LA marathon lineup.

-Amityville 2 is unfocused, sleazy, and would be fun with a crowd, even as it completely falls apart in the second half (IMHO).
-I love The Sentinel as a bizarre, poor man's Rosemary's Baby afterthought with some batshit crazy crowd-pleasing moments, as well as cameos from every 60s/70s character actor you can think of.
-The Fly... no real need to defend that one, right?
-As mentioned before, (I assume) Kingdom Of The Spiders would be fun with a marathon crowd. It's been awhile. Another reason it would peak my curiosity.
- I've never seen all of The Car, but I like its messy score of swelling, screeching strings.
http://youtu.be/346L--8K9L8
- What was that last unimpressive movie?
Hey. I guess I'm pretty easy to please.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:58 pm 

Since nobody seems to want to visit the Camera Obscura sub-forum, here is what I posted there:

While I agree that it isn't that exciting a line-up, it is only 6 films and the Cinematheque is more a museum than a commercial theater, so keep that in mind when criticizing the schedule. And, they give out Free Food!

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar ... -horrothon

pend all night at the Aero Theatre’s eighth annual Horrorthon! Complete with between-film free food, giveaways, trailers, crazy shorts and surprises!

Six Back-To-Back Films!
AMITYVILLE II: THE POSSESSION
1982, Orion Pictures, 104 min. Dir. Damiano Damiani.

KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS
1977, Dimension Pictures, 97 min. Dir. John 'Bud' Cardos.

THE FLY
1986, 20th Century Fox, 100 min. Dir. David Cronenberg.

HELL HIGH
1989, JGM Enterprises, 84 min. Dir. Douglas Grossman.

THE CAR
1977, Universal, 98 min. Dir. Elliott Silverstein.

THE SENTINEL
1977, Universal, 92 min. Dir. Michael Winner.
Special Horrorthon prices: General $20, Student/Senior $18, Members $15 - includes all-night snacks and coffee.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:08 am 

Sounds like fun. I'd be up for it even without the cool venue.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:41 am 

Sigh... not that I want to keep discussing this, but I counted at least 3 separate posts knocking Cabin in the Woods. The last of which was 2 lines long, and the first line was about Cabin in the Woods. And I'm the crazy one? I think not.

I know you didn't say anything about Safety Not Guaranteed. Willcail did, about 17 times, which is who I was comparing you to. I was trying to tell you, in the nicest way possible, that no one cares and that you're not the only person on Earth with an opinion. I should have known you wouldn't take the hint and that I shouldn't bother, but I didn't want to read the same thing 17 times.

Let me put this in perspective for you. Several films have shown at the marathon that I don't like, and I don't waste my time writing numerous posts insulting them. I just don't watch them, and I let everyone else enjoy them and have their own opinions. It's not that difficult. What I don't do is act like I'm the ONLY person in the audience. I'd just like this place to FINALLY be a little better than the AICN Talkbacks, where the mention of any specific film title brings on bellows of "Dat Moobie SUUUUUCKED, and yer STOOPID if you like it!!" Even if it's Citizen Kane. Can we be better than that? If you want to be positive about the lineup, then let's be positive about the lineup already. I've been doing that for years. What are we waiting for?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:12 am 

I thought we agreed to let it go, WolfNC17?

NOW, who's belaboring the argument?

Let

It

Go.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:19 am 

Now that I've clarified what I was saying, rather than what you made it sound like I was saying, yes. It's let go of. Done.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:03 am 

For the record, I think Citizen Kane is highly overrated.

*self satisfied (sniff)*

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:21 am 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:24 am 
Site Admin

Oh, and one more gentle reminder:

Folks, we have a separate forum for the epic pissing contests that so many of you seem to relish. It's called WHERE'S THE KABOOM. If you feel so compelled to turn good natured arguments into re-creations of that PUNCH DRUNK LOVE scene, please head on over to that forum and have at it.