The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:22 am 

@ScottCoz

I went to see Goblin in Asheville on the 3rd of this month. They were absolutely amazing...and loud, REALLY loud!
My wife got me VIP tickets so we got to meet the band and got a very cool poster. I managed to get a few things autographed (said poster, My LP of Suspiria, the Death Waltz EP they were selling, a Suspiria 7" and the Suspiria poster that came with the LP.

They really liked the Japanese 7".

One of the neatest things about the show was seeing the setup during sound check. Hearing all the pieces of Suspiria come together was a treat.

Outside of the soundtrack music (mostly Zombi, Profondo Rosso, Suspiria and Tenebre) - things missing were Buio Omega and Patrick, but I'm pretty sure that no one of the current lineup was even in the band at that time - They played a lot of Roller. There was a lot of energy and they were very tight, not to mention they were enjoying themselves.

Now that I've gotten to see Goblin, I'm super excited to see Suspiria on the big screen. I've seen the movie quite a few times, but just at home.

To get ready for the 'Thon I did watch Phenomena and still holds up very well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:19 pm 

There is a second 12 hour Marathon slated for L.A.. The list isn't too enticing. Probably be skipping it:

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/492846
6 feature films (not necessarily in this order) in addition to a Three Stooges short, a cartoon, and vintage horror trailers, all presented in 35mm:

VAMP (1986)
DRACULA'S DAUGHTER (1936)
DEATH SHIP (1980)
A surprise feature
NIGHT TRAIN TO TERROR (1985)
THE FINAL TERROR (1983)

The other lineup which I'm planning on going to:

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar ... -horrothon

AMITYVILLE II: THE POSSESSION
1982, Orion Pictures, 104 min. Dir. Damiano Damiani.

KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS
1977, Dimension Pictures, 97 min. Dir. John 'Bud' Cardos.

THE FLY
1986, 20th Century Fox, 100 min. Dir. David Cronenberg.

HELL HIGH
1989, JGM Enterprises, 84 min. Dir. Douglas Grossman.

THE CAR
1977, Universal, 98 min. Dir. Elliott Silverstein.

THE SENTINEL
1977, Universal, 92 min. Dir. Michael Winner.

all in 35mm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:15 pm 

Dvr'd "And now the screaming starts"... worth watching, or should I delete it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:27 am 

Did an Evil Dead/Evil Dead II double feature last night. Had seen bits of both of them but neither all the way through. It'll be interesting to rewatch Cabin in the Woods now; the beginning of that movie practically follows Evil Dead beat for beat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:59 pm 

100s of flicks as usual since I'm guessing they won't be showing anything rare at the 'thon I am diving into my more than 19,000 VHSs and DVDs and have already logged in favorites like Hospital Massacre(X-Ray),Blood and Lace,Crimson,Vampirella,The Incubus,TerrorVision,Hell High,Horrible Horror(good old Zach on a new SE DVD),Alone in the Dark("There are no crazy people,we're just all on vacation"),Are You in the House Alone,Dark Night of the Scarecrow,Let's Scare Jessica to Death,KIller Klowns,Pandemonium,Graduation Day,House of the Damned,Madman,The Nesting,Old Dark House,Race with the Devil,The DEvil's Rain,The Hearse,The Boogens,Invasion Earth,Night Train to Terror,Murder Mansion(a personal favorite since the Double CHiller days) and much more. The flow of horror continues...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:51 am 

I just saw The Other (1972) a few days ago and thought it was one of the creepiest films I'd seen in some time. Several friends have commented that the book was even better.

Enjoyed Shaun of the Dead (2004) last night and thought it was a really funny parody of the zombie genre (which has all but been wrung dry in the last few years).

Finally, I watched Dear Dead Delilah (1972), one of the last in the line of "aging classic actress turned scream queen" movies spawned by the success of What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?. In this case, the actress in question was Agnes Moorehead, and the plot was a variation on William Castle's Joan Crawford vehicle, Strait Jacket, but with a few more gruesome murder scenes. By no means a horror classic, but still more fun than the average Herschel Gordon Lewis movie.

Sometime before the marathon, I'll probably still try to schedule my traditional Halloween viewings of House on Haunted Hill '58 and Carnival of Souls (Rifftrax be damned, both are still good movies).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:50 am 

depechemodeone wrote:
@ScottCoz

I went to see Goblin in Asheville on the 3rd of this month. They were absolutely amazing...and loud, REALLY loud!

I just found out Goblin are coming back to play Ohio (Cincinnati and Cleveland) in December, so I may get my chance to see them yet!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:12 am 

Thus far...Halloween (Carpenter) with my wife which, watching her was far more entertaining than actually watching the movie. The Nightmare Before Christmas, Waxwork, 976-EVIL 2. the day before the 'Thon, we'll fit in about 6-7 movies in a very tight window...Not certain what will be in our mini-thon lineup but I'm sure a few thoids on here that will provide live updates....

Nice head, I think I'll take it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:10 pm 

Infa Kid

What is this VHS you speak of? ;-)

So bookings of Suspria on 35mm is common place?

Netfilx Streaming
Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer
The Stuff
Invasion of the Bee Girls
Hellraiser and Hellraiser II
Barracuda
ABC's of Death

Crackle
Silent Night Deadly Night 3
Return of the Living Dead 3

Big Star Movies free trial
The Gore Gore Girls
Maniac original

Blu Ray
Psycho
Psycho II
Psycho III
Jason Goes to Hell
Jason X
Halloween III

DVD
Army of Darkness Bootleg edition (Anchor Bay)
American Amy
Friday the 13th Uncut. The Blu Ray boxset doesn't have the uncut version

VHS I've a JVC D Theater DVHS deck
The Haunting DVHS version
The House of the Devil Comes with my copy of House of the Devil DVD
V/H/S also have it on BLU RAY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:17 pm 

Hallbeast wrote:
Dvr'd "And now the screaming starts"... worth watching, or should I delete it?

It's not bad as I recall, though it's been several years since I've seen it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:45 pm 

Tonight, revisiting what I think is one of the scariest films ever made, the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre from 1974 (as far as THE scariest, I think it's a toss-up between this one and Dreyer's Vampyr). I always get antsy watching this one alone, unlike the vast majority of other horror classics. Before now, I don't think I ever noticed how good the cinematography is, especially for a low-budget film. This is one instance where I'd have loved to have been there to watch the reactions of the audience at the premiere.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:36 am 

I tried watching And Now the Screaming Starts...not very good, deleted it...cujo is next on the radar....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:29 am 

Ok, I'm starting to doubt some peoples' lists on here... I mean, don't you have a job? Or, do you not sleep?

Just curious - and maybe a bit jealous! :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:27 am 

Work three 13 hours day. That equals to 39 hours a week. So I have Thursday thru Sunday off. Plenty of time to watch movies.

Here are some more

Blu Ray

Wes Craven library
New Nightmare
Nightmare on Elm Street original
Nightmare on Elm Street III The Dream Warriors
Scream
Last House on the Left

Netflix Streaming
Frankenstein The Monster from Hell
The Bay
A Little Bit Zombie
Forbidden World
Mutants
The Wolf Man
Bride of Frankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:51 am 

I do indeed have a job(4 incomes,in fact) but I always make time for horror flicks(pretty much I work just to buy more). I do always seem to suffer from lack of sleep. Been like that since I was younger growing up on Fritz The Nite Owl and other late night hosts. Just a "student of midnight", I guess(as referred to in the 1985 Twilight Zone episode "Monsters"). I am 45 so I am in that "Monsterkid" term era.
In the past many days I have watched even more of my favorites from my collection like Watcher in the Woods,Crawlspace(72),At the Earth's Core,Night of the Creeps,Found(would still make a great premiere),Beast Wishes(good old Bob Burns,the new Forry),Laserblast,The Snake Woman,Bad Biology,Scanners II and III,Track of the Moon Beast,F13th Pt.5 with special CInema Wasteland commentary,Raw Force,Creature from Black Lake and even more. The flickering TV continues....
I do love The Other and Dear Dead Delilah. Two favorites of mine from Double Chiller days from back in my youth. I have DVDs and VHS of both them. Watched them both about 2 months ago again.
I will also be checking out the Cleveland/Cincy Goblin shows. Very excited but just wish it was the original full lineup.
As for my response to Willcail(and to not cause a flamewar),I will keep it brief.
First,it is Infra-Kid,as in Infra-Man,except my more childlike version of myself.
Second,VHS is still a GREAT format and I still have 1000s upon 1000s of VHSs and will continue to collect them. There are even, at this point, 4 documentaries on VHS including Adjust Your Tracking(in which I am actually thanked and was interviewed for at The Tape Eaters convention in Dayton,OH). There are also several Horror VHS magazines like Lunchmeat and Tape Mold out there now and fans are still growing.
Third,there are several 35mm screenings(including Suspiria) playing every week somewhere across the US and Canada. If you come out of your mom's basement once in awhile you would see there are huge amounts of screenings and conventions across this land. Even this weekend there are multiple 35mm films showing at the Chicago 24 Hour Horror Marathon as well as showings in Maryland,California and NY. Just because they aren't showing them in Columbus,OH doesn't mean they can't show them. There was a rare showing of Astro Zombies on 35mm at The Grandview. Where were you? The New Bev and The Nuart,out in L.A.,show this kind of stuff all the time. Just because you aren't there doesn't mean it can't happen. The Cleveland 12 Hours of Terror Horror Marathon will be this weekend also(although probably most on DVD proj.)but just another example of the other chances to see things outside your room. Even Cinema Wasteland showed several movies on film over the weekend(including Frogs) and conventions are all over the country like Monsterbash,G-Fest,HorrorHound,Days of the Dead(coming up in a couple weeks),Monster Mania,Flashback Weekend,Horror Realm and many others. Don't remember seeing you at any of those,either.
So to wrap up,if you want to complain,complain to yourself. Horror is rolling along just fine without you. All the showings and conventions go on without a hitch without you. No problem.
..but to return to my original topics,I thought And Now The Screaming Stars was a little on the slow side,too. Plenty of late night creepers out there. I always recommend SCreams of A Winter Night,The Deathmaster,Let's Scare Jessica To Death and many others. Lots of great horror flicks out there. Probably why I have an entire room filled with them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next