The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.fatguysatthemovies.com/2013/10/second-reel-ep-30-the-5th-annual-24-hour-ohio-horror-marathon/

Yep, it's once again time for a semi-meandering conversation about Da Marathon between Kevin Carr and yours truly. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:42 am 

I only got to listen to the first thirty minutes or so last night (I unfortunately had to turn it off before the discussion turned to trailers, etc), but I liked hearing some of the behind-the-scenes details about the marathon.

With all that's been said about Suspiria, I hadn't given much thought as to the version of The Exorcist that will be playing. I had assumed that the version you had acquired would be the "version you've never seen" from the re-release (as it would seem that version is the one most readily available these days), but I will be even happier if it's the original theatrical release.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:41 am 

I'm kinda worried it will ruin too many surprises if I listen, since I haven't seen most of the movies in the lineup. But it's really cool that this is a yearly thing. Maybe I'll go back and listen after the marathon instead.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:28 pm 

I'm glad that there was confirmation that trailers are returning. I do agree that anyone can watch bunch of movies at home.

Now I still very concern about the concessions. If the Drexel decides to continue with the same sub par offerings I'll might skip on buying anything.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

Umm....I sooorta mentioned the food situation in the podcast. Yes, the Drexel is fully committed to shaping things up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:05 am 

I need more proof. The podcast did nothing to answer the food issue. It wouldn't surprise me that the sandwiches will be of questionable origin and I'll have to go outside the theater to eat something decient. This is the CAPA's Drexel after all.

Well before anyone say "If you don't like the Drexel then why buy a ticket?" Well CAPA's Drexel is like Time Warner Cable. They are both poorly run but I don't have a choice. I don't have a choice when it comes to cable or where the marathons are held.

Plus there was no word on the merch. Will there be a coffee mug this year? I will buy a mug but pass on the swill that passes for coffee since it won't be Stauf coffee.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:45 am 

willcail wrote:
I need more proof. The podcast did nothing to answer the food issue. It wouldn't surprise me that the sandwiches will be of questionable origin and I'll have to go outside the theater to eat something decient. This is the CAPA's Drexel after all.

Well before anyone say "If you don't like the Drexel then why buy a ticket?" Well CAPA's Drexel is like Time Warner Cable. They are both poorly run but I don't have a choice. I don't have a choice when it comes to cable or where the marathons are held.

Plus there was no word on the merch. Will there be a coffee mug this year? I will buy a mug but pass on the swill that passes for coffee since it won't be Stauf coffee.

Well, here's to hoping that Joe, The Drexel Staff, Time Warner Cable, COTA, the City of Columbus and the Upright Citizens Brigade can accommodate all your needs and wants, princess.

Do you ever, not complain?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:25 am 

Worldfinest

Why do you accept mediocrity? I don't. When I exchange green pieces of paper for good and services I expect a certain level of quality. TWC cable boxes are of poor quality. Their HD DVR's failed to record shows. I went and purchase an TIVO Premire 4 DVR and rent a mutistream cable card. Fix that problem.

The Drexel was better run when it was a private for profit buisness.

I used to go to the Drexel alot. I went to see Pecker and Pink Flamingos re release there. They did a better job when booking films before CAPA took over. Now they are late in booking films I want to see. I end up watching some of the films on VOD and pay the 7 to 10 dollars to TWC than go and see them at the Drexel.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:26 am 

Re: coffee and merch, see this page: http://www.scifimarathon.com/Horror/info.html. It says "Posted October 6" at the top so I'm guessing the info is current, unless there was some sort of website glitch.

Also I did end up listening to the podcast and there were no movie spoilers or anything, so if you're in a similar situation as me (i.e. not having seen most of the movies), it's still a good listen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:40 am 
Site Admin

Yes, the FAQ page is as up to date as possible...as of right now. The mug price might fluctuate, depending on the ultimate production costs. And as far as I know, the Grandview only served Stauf's coffee for the first year or two of SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK.

On a general note, there are many different factors that go into planning and executing a Marathon. Some of those factors are not public knowledge, and some of them never become public knowledge. Sometimes, these factors lead to blips in the Marathon radar, whether from a technical standpoint, a food standpoint, etc. And some of those factors that are never made public are resolved by the time of the next event. All due respect Will, but you don't know all of the factors that led to the Sci-Fi Marathon being less than successful. And those factors might never be made public. But I can guarantee you that the blips in the radar were not a result a CAPA's management of the theater. Whether you choose to believe me is your own choice....but I really don't make my living lying to an audience that I see twice a year.

All I can tell anyone on this board is that Bruce and I would not be running the Horror Marathon at the Drexel if we didn't have faith in them. Now, does that mean that we can 100% guarantee that everything will be perfect? Of course not. There are always ghosts in the machine that change things, sometimes at the last minute. But the Drexel is totally committed to making things right.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:02 am 

willcail wrote:
Worldfinest

Why do you accept mediocrity? I don't. When I exchange green pieces of paper for good and services I expect a certain level of quality. TWC cable boxes are of poor quality. Their HD DVR's failed to record shows. I went and purchase an TIVO Premire 4 DVR and rent a mutistream cable card. Fix that problem.

The Drexel was better run when it was a private for profit buisness.

I used to go to the Drexel alot. I went to see Pecker and Pink Flamingos re release there. They did a better job when booking films before CAPA took over. Now they are late in booking films I want to see. I end up watching some of the films on VOD and pay the 7 to 10 dollars to TWC than go and see them at the Drexel.

WOW, At&T U-Verse, Direct TV, DISH are several options but you're choosing to stay with Time Warner...who accepts mediocrity?

The thing is, you just complain...you don't make any suggestions to make things better, you just bitch about how bad everything is, whether it's food, projection quality, movie selection, seating, etc... without making any attempt to better the outcome...again, as I've stated in a prior thread, if you can do so much better...than do it.

Also, since the Horror Marathon was re-booted in 04, there's only been one time where I was disappointed in my experience. That wasn't Joe and Bruce's fault, that was due to a group of guys who decided to get drunk and talk through every movie...other than that, I've been very pleased with The J&B Rock n' Horror Express (Yes, I just made Joe and Bruce into a WWE Tag Team).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:42 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:

All I can tell anyone on this board is that Bruce and I would not be running the Horror Marathon at the Drexel if we didn't have faith in them. Now, does that mean that we can 100% guarantee that everything will be perfect? Of course not. There are always ghosts in the machine that change things, sometimes at the last minute. But the Drexel is totally committed to making things right.

Ugh. Ghost in the Machine sucks. That would be an awful last minute change.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:07 pm 

not worldsfinest wrote:
Ugh. Ghost in the Machine sucks. That would be an awful last minute change.

In b4 someone doesn't get the joke and starts arguing with you about Ghost in the Machine

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:01 am 

Word Finest

I'm trying to explain it so you can understand. Time Warner Cable is only subscription television that is available to me. I can't get anything else. There are these non compete agreements that are setup between some of the subscription television providers.

I can't get UVerse, Dish, Direct TV, or WOW cable. The apartment buliding is only wired for TWC. Hence I don't have a choice. If you practice some sort of basic comprehension skills that I DON'T HAVE A CHOICE IN CABLE. The only thing that TWC does right is their internet.

As my posts before I'm glad that CAPA's Drexel is bringing back film. I agree in an other post that if people want to bring in outside food they can purchase a cover fee to cover the loss consessions sales.

In all honesty not for profits shouldn't run movie theaters. Let the market decide if a movie theater can make it or not. If the Drexel couldn't make it as a for profit business then it shouldn't be run as a not for profit. This comes from a person who perfers a single payer health care system.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:17 am 

I hate to burst your bubble Will (well, maybe I actually enjoy it...), but where I live, it is wired for only time warner, yet I have DirecTV...you see, the lovely folks of DirecTV ran their own wiring into the apartment...time warner's wiring is still there for someone else to use, but unlike you, my wife and I don't accept mediocrity