The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:11 pm 
Site Admin

Because the Marathons have gone without Klaus Kinski for far too long...

As we announced at this weekend's fantabulous 31st Annual Ohio Science Fiction Marathon, we've booked the first six(!) titles for this fall's 666th Annual SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK, the Ohio 24-Hour Horror Marathon (October 18-19 at the Drexel.) We're already wildly excited, so just imagine what we'll try to cook up between now and then. The titles so far are:

*A brand spankin' new 2K DCP restoration of Werner Herzog's lush, atmospheric remake of NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE, featuring the luminous Isabelle Adjani, the magnetic Bruno Ganz, a haunting score by Popul Vuh......and, oh yeah, the madman of Deutschland himself, Klaus Kinski as everyone's favorite fang-toothed vampire. This comes from our good friends at Bleeding Light Film Group, who brought you the complete version of Andrzej Zulawski's POSSESSION that played in 2012, so expect nothing but the best in this Marathon first.

*Another Horror Marathon first (believe it or not) with a 2K DCP screening of James Whale's creepy and humorous, "why are those pants running down the street" Universal classic THE INVISIBLE MAN.

*Christopher Lee, Edward Woodward and the gorgeous Britt Ekland in the critically acclaimed Final Cut of Robin Hardy's stone cold Brit cult classic THE WICKER MAN (in paganistic 2K DCP.) We've been waiting for years to screen this at the Columbus Horror Marathon, and now, thanks to the twisted folks at Rialto Pictures, you can savor the creeping dread of this horror landmark with the best audience in the world.

*Kubrick! King! Nicholson! Duvall! Redrum! Penderecki! Carlos! Faked moon landings? It's a testament to its enduring power that THE SHINING continues to inspire such diverse levels of appreciation. Now, revisit the Overlook Hotel once again in haunting 2K DCP.

*A rare 35mm screening of the absolutely bizarro gem THE MANITOU, with an all-star cast of Tony Curtis, Susan Strasberg, Stella Stevens, and Burgess Meredith, with a score by the great Lalo Schifrin. Seriously, if you haven't seen this yet (it's out of print on DVD) you should wait until October, and then run to the Drexel like there's no tomorrow to experience all of THE MANITOU's wild charms.

*And last, but certainly not least, is Barbara Crampton in Adam Wingard's superior home invasion shocker YOU'RE NEXT. This one had great buzz coming out of the 2011 festival circuit, but when it was finally released last August, crowds stayed away. Boy, did they miss out, 'cause this one if a tremendous exercise in suspense and raw, bone-chilling terror. Highly recommended, and sure to go over well with this crowd in atmospheric 2K DCP.

More info and films on their way in the next few months. Keep yer eyes peeled to this site for all the latest!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:54 pm 

It's so cool that this was announced so early and at the SF thon.

(But, Jeff Neff, you surely realize that posting these titles so early will reduce posts on this messageboard - nuthin' like folks bitching and moaning about "when will titles be announced!?" to drum up posts.......... :roll: )

-- Too bad that f$cking Universal won't lend out their beautiful 35mm print of INVISIBLE MAN which played around the country just a couple of years ago. G0ddamn DCPs!

-- THE MANITOU is one terrific cult movie! Just so over-the-top bizarre. The one serious performance is by Michael Ansara who passed away recently.

-- THE SHINING should be paired with ROOM 237 for max conspiracy value

-- The 'Final Cut' of THE WICKER MAN is a bit of a misnomer. More like 'The best version we could get a hold of'. It's basically the 1979 American re-release version. And, the negative for even that re-release is missing so there are scenes that are they are a copy from a 33 year old print that was itself a copy from the Corman print - NOT, the original negative!

Still, no matter which version, THE WICKER MAN is a must-see.

-- NOSFERATU is a bit of a slow burn. I got to see with Herzog there to introduce it! The score by Popul Vuh is sublime. Crank it up.

All in all, a good start for the Horror Marathon.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:23 pm 

You're Next was an awesome movie. Would have easily been the best horror movie of the year if not for The Conjuring.

As for Room 237, I was one of the few that raised my hand when Joe and Bruce asked yesterday if we wanted to see it at the marathon. So yes, I'm in favor of it. But I'll admit, I was one of the few. (Though I'm not sure that there were all that many who were against it, just that their boos were louder than my raised hand.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

I loved ROOM 237, especially as it's actually much less about any supposed accuracy of the conspiracy claims and much more about the sometimes unexpected ways in which art can inspire. A lot of what will determine whether it plays at the Horror Marathon comes down to what other titles we can get, how well they fit into the lineup and schedule as a whole, etc. Maybe we can cut a few trailers out and add ROOM 237 as a 13th feature.....oh, wait, don't tell Bruce that I said that.....ummmmm.....errr.....I gotta go hide in my bunker now......

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:24 pm 

How dare you tease a *13th* film for the 666th marathon! Who can resist that?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm 

Oh, and the best way I can describe THE MANITOU (aside from "whackadoodle awesome sauce") is if WOLFEN and SHAKMA had a love child that starred Tony Curtis.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:55 pm 

For the record, I am always in favor of a single documentary. But I realize I'm in the minority there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:18 am 

I am mildly opposed to screening Room 237, simply because it will come at the opportunity cost of a different film. As I like to describe it, Room 237 is essentially "Shining: The Radio Call-In Show", which may or may not appeal to folks.

Very excited about the others. I haven't seen Herzog's Nosferatu in a decade, and You're Next has been in the mental queue for months.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:53 pm 

The early announcement meant I could get an early start on making a playlist of all the trailers: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGwyiA9f6MeWC9HLpcb8qmesXHO2WzMNK.

Where possible, I tried to use the same trailer that was shown this past weekend. The obvious exception is Nosferatu, since the trailer shown at the Marathon was for the wrong movie.

Enjoy! :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:12 pm 

Nice trailer playlist, Stinky! Thanks for adding that.

Personally, I think it's fascinating to watch The Shining after seeing Room 237. While I was one of the people who voted informally to show both, I totally get why some people don't like Room 237 and don't want to sit through it again.

There are some cool documentaries that have played at the marathons over the years, but I (like some folks, I would imagine) got documentaried-out with SciFi a few years ago. I agree with rotorueter that I wouldn't want it to replace a classic horror flick in the line-up. Also, since it came out just last year, it would be a recent repeat viewing for a good chunk of the audience (the majority of whom didn't like it much). :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:42 pm 

kevincarr wrote:
Also, since it came out just last year, it would be a recent repeat viewing for a good chunk of the audience (the majority of whom didn't like it much). :)

I'll bet less than 10% of the horror marathon audience has seen Room 237.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:00 am 

L.A

The 2K DCP's of Universal's classic horror films are great. The resolution is spectacular.

If I want to watch a bunch of tin foil hat wearing cranks that are feature in Room 237 I can tune in to Fox "News". One of them says that the Moon landings were fake. I stopped watching 237 after that was said.

I'm glad that The Wicker Man is booked . Get the remake trailer.

Room 237 available on Netflix streaming.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:22 am 

Just a Suggestion: Get your webmaster to update the horrormarathon.com page asap with the 2014 date, the first 6 titles etc. every second counts when it comes to advertising.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

Ghost wrote:
Just a Suggestion: Get your webmaster to update the horrormarathon.com page asap with the 2014 date, the first 6 titles etc. every second counts when it comes to advertising.

Ah, if only we had a full time webmaster who could devote all of their time to this crazy little endeavor we have....

Sarcasm aside, our webmistress knows about the updates and will be taking care of them. But she also has a real life to live (ya know, outside of Crazytime Marathonland), so she has a few other things to worry about. Cut her some slack; she does a damn good job for us, considering that we pay her in used popcorn husks and Officially Autographed Marathon Tickets. After all, we're SEVEN MONTHS OUT from the actual Horrorthon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:38 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
Ghost wrote:

Ah, if only we had a full time webmaster who could devote all of their time to this crazy little endeavor we have....

Sarcasm aside, our webmistress knows about the updates and will be taking care of them. But she also has a real life to live (ya know, outside of Crazytime Marathonland), so she has a few other things to worry about. Cut her some slack; she does a damn good job for us, considering that we pay her in used popcorn husks and Officially Autographed Marathon Tickets. After all, we're SEVEN MONTHS OUT from the actual Horrorthon.

She does an amazing job!!! I didn't know if you let her know about the already existing news or not.