The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

All right ya deranged maniacs, in case you missed the Facebook rollout, here it is: the OFFICIAL LINEUP for SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK, the 666th Annual 24-Hour Horror Marathon!

*The OHIO PREMIERE of the festival hit HOUSEBOUND, an eerie, comedic, haunted house film from New Zealand. Sentenced to house arrest with her parents, trouble-making Kylie soon finds out that her childhood homestead holds a lot more secrets than she bargained for. Peter Martin, of Twitch Film says HOUSEBOUND "“Quickly tears apart the classic haunted-house movie piece by piece, and then reconstructs it on the fly with fresh new materials, garnished with oodles of blood, dark comedy, strong characters, and genuine suspense”, and Peter Jackson calls it "Bloody Brilliant!" See the OHIO PREMIERE with our fantabulously loony audience!

*The OHIO PREMIERE of Helene Catte and Bruno Forzani's psychedelic, psychotropic, mind-bending Italian horror tribute THE STRANGE COLOR OF YOUR BODY'S TEARS. Ainitcool News calls it "Freakish...sexy...and deeply, deeply disturbed", and Fangoria dubs it "Hypnotizing and assaulting". It's a bloody, erotic dreamscape of a tribute to your most primal fears...and beyond. See it first with the Nightmarathon faithful!

*The OHIO PREMIERE of local experimental filmmaker (and longtime Marathoid) Mike Olenick's haunting horror short RED LUCK. The Underground Film Journal calls RED LUCK "gorgeous and disturbing" , and it won the Most Beautiful Film Award at the Chicago Underground Film Festival. We've seen it, and it's one hell of a deranged, lyrical, mind-melting experience. Mike will be on hand for a Q+A accompanying the film.

*An incredibly rare, once in a lifetime 35mm screening of Zoltan Spencer's long lost satanic cult/erotic film THE SATANIST! For almost 50 years, this was thought to be a lost film, but we'll finally be unleashing it once again on a live audience! Outside of a Philadelphia screening a month ago, there's very little known about THE SATANIST...which should make it perfect fodder for your demented minds.

*A new 4K DCP restoration of the one, the only, the ORIGINAL, the greatest drive-in movie ever (to quote Joe Bob Briggs: "The Saw is still king!"), the brand new 4K restoration of Tobe Hooper's THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE!!! For the first time, the filmmakers have gone back to the original 16mm elements to create a TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE experience like you've never seen before. Unleash the terror in this gorgeous, brutal landmark of terror, all in butcherific DCP!

*Lamberto Bava's absolutely brilliant and bonkers "I went to the movies and all I got was this demon possession" gorefest DEMONS! In glorious 35mm! If you enjoy blood, possession, heavy metal and more motor cycles than you can throw a dead cat at, you'll have a blast!

*Dario Argento's sleek, modernist, gory, haunting slasher classic TENEBRE! Anthony Franciosa is an American horror author on book tour in Rome who is haunted by the series of copycat murders that mirror his books. Featuring some of Argento's best gore scenes and a throbbing soundtrack by most of the original Goblin! (NOTE: For years, we've tried to secure a close to uncut 35mm print of TENEBRE, but it's become apparent that we won't be able to secure said print anytime in the near future. So we'll be presenting a high quality digital copy of the film; we've seen it, and it's absolutely gorgeous. Plus, this finally gives us the opportunity to share it with the greatest audience in the world!)

*A brand spankin' new 2K DCP restoration of Werner Herzog's lush, atmospheric remake of NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE, featuring the luminous Isabelle Adjani, the magnetic Bruno Ganz, a haunting score by Popul Vuh......and, oh yeah, the madman of Deutschland himself, Klaus Kinski as everyone's favorite fang-toothed vampire. This comes from our good friends at Bleeding Light Film Group, who brought you the complete version of Andrzej Zulawski's POSSESSION that played in 2012, so expect nothing but the best in this Marathon first.

*Another Horror Marathon first (believe it or not) with a 2K DCP screening of James Whale's creepy and humorous, "why are those pants running down the street" Universal classic THE INVISIBLE MAN.

*Christopher Lee, Edward Woodward and the gorgeous Britt Ekland in the critically acclaimed Final Cut of Robin Hardy's stone cold Brit cult classic THE WICKER MAN (in paganistic 2K DCP.) We've been waiting for years to screen this at the Columbus Horror Marathon, and now, thanks to the twisted folks at Rialto Pictures, you can savor the creeping dread of this horror landmark with the best audience in the world.

*Kubrick! King! Nicholson! Duvall! Redrum! Penderecki! Carlos! Faked moon landings? It's a testament to its enduring power that THE SHINING continues to inspire such diverse levels of appreciation. Now, revisit the Overlook Hotel once again in haunting 2K DCP.

*A rare 35mm screening of the absolutely bizarro gem THE MANITOU, with an all-star cast of Tony Curtis, Susan Strasberg, Stella Stevens, and Burgess Meredith, with a score by the great Lalo Schifrin. Seriously, if you haven't seen this yet (it's out of print on DVD) you should wait until October, and then run to the Drexel like there's no tomorrow to experience all of THE MANITOU's wild charms.

*And last, but certainly not least, is Barbara Crampton in Adam Wingard's superior home invasion shocker YOU'RE NEXT. This one had great buzz coming out of the 2011 festival circuit, but when it was finally released last August, crowds stayed away. Boy, did they miss out, 'cause this one if a tremendous exercise in suspense and raw, bone-chilling terror. Highly recommended, and sure to go over well with this crowd in atmospheric 2K DCP.

Tickets for SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK are
$40 in advance
$45 at the door (if there are any left)

They can be purchased at

-The Drexel Theater (2254 E. Main St.)
-Laughing Ogre Comics (4258 N. High St.)
-The PayPal link on this website (http://www.horrormarathon.com)

JOIN US! JOIN US! 'Cause this October 18th is going to be one Hell of a ride!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:09 pm 

I updated my YouTube playlist of trailers for all the films in the lineup: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... sXHO2WzMNK

I couldn't find any trailers or videos for THE SATANIST or RED LUCK, but if anyone can find anything good on YouTube related to either of these, let me know and I'll add it. Otherwise maybe I'll have to add the trailer for PUSS IN BOOTS. :twisted: Happy watching!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

No YouTube link for the RED LUCK trailer, but you can find it via VIMEO at:

http://redluckiscoming.com/trailer.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:49 pm 

Hey what's happening with the K Gordon Murray's Puss in Boots flick? Just announced on the Horror Marathon FB page?

Housebound will be released into theaters and VOD on October 17. Is it really a Ohio premiere? Will the Gateway Film Center get Housebound on October 17?

I'm glad that you are able to find a positive review of The Strange Colour of Your Tears. After watching the movie and read the endless of terrible reviews for this stinker of a movie. Why can't you book a bad but fun horror movie instead?

Tenebre a great film.

Demons a fun cheesey film. Can't wait to see it again on the wide screen.

I can't wait to the the new 4K RCP of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Can't wait to see ole Grandpa in 4K.

The Satanist is going to be strange. Good thing that There are four movies I can sleep through so I won't miss it.

You're Next. I can see why people stayed away from this clunker. A poor man's take on Last House on the left and The Strangers. One dimensional characters that you can't relate to. The premise have been done to death.

The Manitou. Plays out like a bad movie of the week from the 1970's Watch it on YouTube.

The Shinning is going to look great. Better than that bad 35mm print that was screened during one of the two headed marathon.

Nosferatu Remake. Why Joe Why can't you get the original. This remake doesn't tell a story at all. No plot to it at all. If I want to watched a plotless vampire movie I watched Blood for Dracula. The only good thing about the remake are the kittens.

The Wicker Man Can't wait to see it. Hopefully there won't be a mix up.

Well going to get my ticket next week. Can the theater work something out with a local Italian eatery to get some Italian food? Due to the Italian horror films?.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:00 pm 

https://screen.yahoo.com/debbie-downer- ... 00704.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:57 pm 

I for one think this is an awesome lineup. I don't know anything about Housebound other than what's above but I'm looking forward to seeing it anyway. Strange Color should be an experience, as will The Satanist.

I'm betting the audience will enjoy You're Next as much as I did. It plays much better on the big screen than at home.

Another excellent lineup of films with something for just about everyone. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:48 am 

Hey I can be like L.A. Connection complain about the lineup and NOT BUY a ticket. Still remembers the Studio 35 horror marathons. Those were the best. Plus I'm not some brown noser sycophant who thinks Joe can do no wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:09 am 

willcail wrote:
Hey I can be like L.A. Connection complain about the lineup and NOT BUY a ticket. Still remembers the Studio 35 horror marathons. Those were the best. Plus I'm not some brown noser sycophant who thinks Joe can do no wrong.

OH GAWD!!

I love how all you do is bitch and moan about every line up, complain about the price of tickets, how the food sucks but then you, begrudgingly, still attend? Why waste your time and money? Since everything is sooooo beneath you, don't show up...

And as I've said to you plenty of times before...if you can do a better job, than do it. What's wrong with a little healthy competition? Oh that's right...you're probably too lazy to put on something like this... (queue standard - I live in a downtown studio apartment, make good money and own a Dodge Stratus...I'M AN IMPORTANT PERSON!! - response).

Trust me, I'm sure J and B would not miss your over critical, snarky comments and general negative attitude.

and please, don't give me your "I pay good money and expect a better product". As I've said prior, if you're not satisfied with the product, don't pay the money and don't show up.

LA has a good enough reason to be critical and not attend BECAUSE HE LIVES IN EFFING LA!!! I'm sure if he lived closer, and not 3000 miles, he'd attend...albeit, he'd still be overly critical but I'm sure he appreciates the time and effort put into the event.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:27 am 

willcail wrote:

I signed up for this free forum. I am allowed to make fun of your ceaseless complaining and nitpicking.

*complaining about willcail's hilariously predictable whining does not constitute a sycophantic brown nosing of Joe Neff

**unrelated, Joe Neff is not only smart and clever but he's damn sexy too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:46 am 

not worldsfinest wrote:
willcail wrote:

**unrelated, Joe Neff is not only smart and clever but he's damn sexy too.

I approve this message and...OH GAWD!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:49 am 

Wow, definitely excited to be able to make it this year. Really digging the line up. Is it safe to assume a new marathon chat podcast is in the works regarding the recently annouced films?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:12 pm 

How did I get involved in this?!!

Crikey, I was going to post and compliment folks for setting what must be an All-Time record for earliest posting of a Complete Marathon Schedule in advance! (check with Bruce, but, I do think it is the earliest ever between Boston & Ohio).

Congrats!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:41 pm 

Another Chudless year...

OH GAWD!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:23 pm 

You do realized that people exchange currency for a ticket right. You know those green prices of paper you get when performing work? If the marathon was free then it would be different.

There was a person from the UK that was able to get to one of the marathon last year. Plus there are these newfangle things called planes. They been around for over one hundred years. There are many people comes all over to attend. A plane ticket doesn't cost that much money.

I wonder how many tickets do you buy over the years. Are you one of those people who bring in food and not support the Drexel by buying from the consession stand?

I can scan and post my student loans bills and my paycheck stub from my second jobs over the years to payback those loans. I'm too busy working for most of the year. We can't be all like Worldsfinest who doesn't understand that films are subjective to the viewer. If you want I can post a definition of the word subjective. Not every one is going to like the same films. You can understand that? I don't care for some of the films. I pay for a ticket every year with the exception of one year. How many do you attend and pay for a ticket over the years?

I pay and went to SF 30. Was it a good marathon? Not really. Even Joe wasn't too keen on that marathon. I'm not some sort of kiss ass who thinks Joe needs to be defended. Joe can defend himself.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:29 pm 

@agentstinky -- the Red Luck trailer is now up on youtube too. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilxEXxWZk4M

redluckiscoming.com