The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:45 am 

Well Marathoids, it's September, summer is (unofficially) over, and there are less than two months to the 2014 24-Hr Horror Marathon. And you know what that means...the return of the WHAT ARE YOU WATCHING LEADING UP TO THE THON thread!

That's right, it's time to start boning up on your horror movies...training your butt to sit through multiple features at a time...and toughening up your digestive system for pizza, popcorn, and coffee. So go forth, watch some horror, and report back with what you're watching to get ready for the 666TH ANNUAL SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:47 am 

I started off my prep with KILL LIST (2011), which showed at the 2012 4th Annual SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK. I wasn't at that marathon, but this movie turned out to be a good companion for THE WICKER MAN.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:22 pm 

I'll play along, watched Videodrome (1983), John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) and Room 237 (2012) all within the last few weeks. First time seeing all three films. Have quite a few more lined up to watch as we get closer to October.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:40 pm 

I watched Joan Collins and Donald Pleasence in the dreadful but fun I Don't Want to Be Born (aka The Monster, aka Sharon's Baby). Collins plays an ex-showgirl who spurned the sexual advances of a dwarf who works with her. The dwarf puts a Satanic curse on her. Later Collins marries, becomes pregnant, and has a child with her new husband, but from the beginning it's obvious that something isn't right with the baby. It seems that somehow the spirit of the dwarf is terrorizing Collins and her family through the baby. Collins' sister-in-law, an Italian nun (Eileen Atkins, with one of the worst Italian accents you've ever heard) comes to the rescue. OK movie for a bad movie night - there are several crazy scenes - though the second half is a little boring. Don't Look Now's Hilary Mason (the blind psychic) is fun as a grumbling housekeeper.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:11 am 

I watched JOHN DIES AT THE END but don't worry I will not ruin the surprise ending!!

I would love for this to play at the 'thon someday

Last edited by Ghost on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:37 pm 

I watched BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (1992) over the weekend. Very bizarre but I think I liked it, aside from the oft-maligned performance by Keanu "Whoa" Reeves as Harker. Based on the trailer for NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE, I think the Coppola DRACULA was good prep for both the story and the tone.

srowley75 wrote:
I watched Joan Collins and Donald Pleasence in the dreadful but fun I Don't Want to Be Born (aka The Monster, aka Sharon's Baby).

Where does Donald Pleasence come in? Is he the dwarf?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:28 pm 

Ghost wrote:
I watched JOHN DIES AT THE END but don't worry I will not ruin the surprise ending!!

I would love for this to play at the 'thon someday

I second John Dies At The End, I think it would go over VERY well at the marathon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:11 pm 

I watched a movie on netflix Saturday night called "13 Sins" and really liked it, it kept me on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next. How far would you be willing to go for money???

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:45 pm 

Ghost wrote:
I watched a movie on netflix Saturday night called "13 Sins" and really liked it, it kept me on the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next. How far would you be willing to go for money???

I'll have to check it out. I've already watched Videodrome, Scanners, Jason Takes Manhattan, and will be watching Cannibal Holocaust sometime this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:16 pm 

I watched the original Night of the Living Dead (1968) for the first time. I enjoyed it a lot, would like to fit in some more from the series before the marathon. I think the only other one I've seen is the 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:33 pm 

Sat down with my wife and watched Suspiria over the weekend. Got to say, I'm mildly glad a watched it at home with a remote to control the volume, can't imagine what it was like in the theater last year. All in all I enjoyed the ride and ended up getting Inferno to watch later in the week.

Although its not strictly horror related, my 2 year old son and I sat down at watched Tarantula (1955) yesterday. Hearing him scream "SPIDER!" everytime it was on screen was priceless.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:23 am 

Myself and some other Thon-goers do a whole pre-thon on the Friday before. I think all we have solidified now is the REAL version of the Wicker man.

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:56 am 

I watched The Evil Dead (original) & Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn the other night.

Last night was Land of the Dead & Halloween (1978).

Probably going to watch Slither, Dog Soldiers, Dawn of the Dead (1978) in sometime this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:32 pm 

On Saturday October 4th I am watching all 10 Halloween movies with the new Scream Factory Box Set

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:05 am 

Ghost wrote:
On Saturday October 4th I am watching all 10 Halloween movies with the new Scream Factory Box Set

Wow... That sounds like it will be just as long as the thon! Sounds Fun.

I have recently just finished re-watching all of the Nightmare on Elm Street films. Including the Remake and the Documentary Never Sleep Again, which goes through the production of the series. Really enjoyable to watch and a must see for Freddy fans.