The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:12 pm 

Hello everyone!

I'm super excited to come to Shock Around the Clock for the first time this year! I'm coming from Chicago, meeting friends in Indianapolis, and we're road tripping to Columbus.

My friends and I are veterans of other 24-hour movie marathons: for the last several years, I've gone to 3 or 4 every year. So we all have our marathon routines pretty well settled. However, I was wondering if you folks who have been regulars to Shock Around the Clock have any info for this show in particular? Every marathon has its own style and specific rules, etc.

For example, what time should we get to the theater? I usually show up about 3 hours before a marathon's stated start time to stake out seats. Is that OK, or will my friends and I get shooed away from the theater if we show up at 9 a.m.?

Thanks in advance for any advice and/or suggestions! Looking forward to the show!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:38 pm 

Here's an early welcome to Columbus. Not that 9 AM is too early but me and my marry band of Thonazoids show up around 10 AM and we usually get pretty good seats.

Food options for the most part are pretty good. Of course you'll have your concession stand staples but in the past we've had pizza and sandwich order in options. If you decide to grab a bite to eat during a less than desirable movie, there are plenty of options a walk or short drive away.

Also, I would suggest purchasing the commemorative mug which will give you unlimited coffee throughout the night. Presuming this is an option again.

If I think if anything else I'll post but I'm sure someone will beat me to the punch.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:04 pm 

Thanks, Worldsfinest!

How many seats are in the theater? I couldn't find any information about how big it is anywhere. Is it the case that every seat in the theater is going to be taken, or is there usually some room?

We'll definitely be staying in or near the theater during the whole show. Are there any 24-hour food options within walking distance of the theater?

I usually bring a bag with water, a couple of other drinks, and some snacks to marathons. Can we bring in our own stuff? I'll be buying candy and/or hot dogs, etc. from the concessions stand as well, but I usually bring my own supplies and supplement them with whatever is available at the theater.

That commemorative mug thing sounds pretty great! I hope that's an option. Are there any other souvenirs (like shirts) available at the show?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:18 pm 

rabbitroom wrote:
Thanks, Worldsfinest!

How many seats are in the theater? I couldn't find any information about how big it is anywhere. Is it the case that every seat in the theater is going to be taken, or is there usually some room?

I think it seats around 300 but I would think there will be around 200-250 maybe more. There always seems to be ample seating.

rabbitroom wrote:
TWe'll definitely be staying in or near the theater during the whole show. Are there any 24-hour food options within walking distance of the theater?

Not sure about 24 hour food spots but there are a few good sit down joints and your standard fast food fair.

rabbitroom wrote:
I usually bring a bag with water, a couple of other drinks, and some snacks to marathons. Can we bring in our own stuff? I'll be buying candy and/or hot dogs, etc. from the concessions stand as well, but I usually bring my own supplies and supplement them with whatever is available at the theater.

The theatre makes its money off of concession sales so you may want to keep it to a minimum and try and buy as much as possible from the concession stand.

rabbitroom wrote:
That commemorative mug thing sounds pretty great! I hope that's an option. Are there any other souvenirs (like shirts) available at the show?

In the past they've had tee's and some assorted items.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:24 pm 

The Drexel is a classic theater, so while the seats aren't too bad, they're far from plush luxury recliners. If you need a certain level of comfort to get some shut-eye (and you're not hellbent on staying awake all 24 hours), it's a good idea to bring a pillow, blankets, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:31 pm 

Any First-Timers want to STAY AWAKE AND WATCH ALL 24 HOURS OF MOVIES?

Here are my tips:

My Guide On How To STAY AWAKE all 24 Hours! 2014 Update

I added a new tip! Tip #6

Been going to Marathons since...gulp...1979 and have never fallen asleep! And, this February in Boston kept that streak alive.

First, I know that it is NOT A MUST to stay awake. This is a guide IF you wish to try (Only an IF). Second, yes, know your body. If you can take gallons of coffee and greasy spicy food at 4am - go for it. But, these are some tried and true suggestions....

Tips:

1. GET SOME REST before the Marathon. Easier said than done sometimes, I understand. Particularly, if the Marathon starts at Midnight! But, do your best. Also, I start a Vitamin, Echinesia, Zinc pill-popping regimen the week before the Marathon to be as illness resistant as I can.

2. LIMIT CAFFEINE. One year, early on in my Marathon career, I thought popping No-Doz and drinking coffee was a good idea. It wasn't. 3/4 of the way through, I thought I was having an ulcer right smack in the middle of DEMON SEED (that 'demon' was in my stomach!). More importantly, the constant ups and downs eventually catches up to you (same goes for excessive Sugar intake). Some folks have a higher built-up tolerence, but go easy.

3. Wear COMFORTABLE CLOTHES. That Klingon mask and paraphernalia might seem cool at noon, but by midnight, it likely won't. Also, a pillow or neck/back support might be in order.

4. EAT as LITTLE as possible. Again, early on, I looked forward to the Marathon as a 24 hour junk food party. Over the years, I have seen many Marathoners "go down for the count" long before the finish line due to upset stomachs. Pizza, burritos, Chinese, Indian, Thai food are all favorites of mine, but I would stay away from them. I eat a big breakfast. Then nibble, nibble, nibble all day and night with only 1 warm meal (usually just a chicken sandwich without fries, shakes or too many condiments). Maybe , something warm for breakfast. Otherwise, it's pretzels, chocolate covered raisins, several Power/Energy bars and lots and lots of water. Boring? Yup, but this post is about SURVIVAL!!

5. GET UP AND MOVE AROUND!! I pop out of my seat after EVERY SINGLE MOVIE and move around. If you think to yourself, "Oh, I'll just grab a little 5 minute nap between movies" - you're likely a goner. That walk around will do you much more good than a 5 minute nap. Longer naps are another story (for wimps!), but this post is about staying awake the whole 24.

6. JOIN IN! If the audience ritually claps - CLAP ALONG! If the audience bursts into applause - do the same! Cheer on contestants in the contests! Give thanks to Bruce, Jeff Neff and the many others who help put on the show, especially the Theater Staff. All of this not only helps the spirit of the Event, but, it also helps YOU become involved and raise your enthusiasm level!

Most important tip:

7. PSYCH YOURSELF UP!! Come on, this is one (long) day a year! ONE! You can't get psychologically tuned up to stay awake one little night a year?! Think of all the cool movies and shorts you are going to see! All the bad puns and callbacks you'll hear! The fun you have reminicing with fellow Marathoners throughout the year! The pride and honor of being a 24 HOUR SURVIVOR! You CAN do it!! I ain't into any of that New Age mind over body holistic hooey - but, in this one instance where it makes sense; I think a LOT of what defeats Marathoners IS in their head. If you say to yourself, "That slow draggy movie at 4am is going to KILL ME" - then it will happen. Instead, repeat to yourself - "I will stay awake, I will!"

That's it. 7 simple rules to follow, and you can join the Android brigade like myself! You'll never miss a single ray gun shooting, alien attack, day for night scene, cheezy line of dialogue, CGI overloaded frame, vintage trailer or Bruce quip again!!