The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

So here we are: the final Question of the Week. Depending on your level of Marathon experience, this might be an easy one...or a hard one......or both.

One week from this coming Wednesday marks the 20th anniversary of the final NIGHT OF THE LIVING DREXEL. For several years after, there was no 24-Hour Horror Marathon in Columbus. Then in 1999, John Conti (my boss at Studio 35 and one of the best human beings you'll ever meet) gave me the okay to bring the 24-Hour Horror Marathon back. And so began this slightly star-crossed post-Drexel North era of round the clock events.

A few years back, I reflected in a similar way on the post-2000 Science Fiction Marathons. The question in that thread asked which of the post-2000 SF Marathons you considered to be the best. So let's give it one more try:

What has been the best post-Drexel North 24-Hour Horror Marathon? And why?

I thought about including the all-nighters in this equation, but in so many ways, those are beasts unto themselves. And there might be a few of you who say "Hey, what about the 1996 Cinemark 24-Hour Midwest Horror Spectacular?" Well, per the Thornton Waxman Institute for Gravitational Research Marathon Committee, that event has yet to enter the canon.

As always, feel free to refer to Mr. Zecchini's invaluable archives site (located here). Many of you haven't attended all ten post-Drexel North 24-Hour Horror Marathons, so I'll leave it up to you if you want to pick one of the 'thons you couldn't make it to.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:46 pm 

I'll be the first to weigh in on this one. While my marathon attendance has been a bit spotty over the last 15 years due to family and work issues, I do have a favorite: the 3rd Annual Shock Around the Clock at the Grandview Theater.

This had a really solid line-up with a great spread of movie release dates from the 20s to modern day. It also had some cool premieres (including the infamous SERBIAN FILM showing, love it or hate it). I particularly loved the live music during THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI. Sadly, we had to sacrifice SLITHER from the line-up (which Joe will probably never live down if my son has anything to say about it), but it was still a great slate of viewing entertainment.

I think the fact that there wasn't a filmmaker guest shows that it can be a fantastic marathon without this as an essential element.

However, probably the biggest reason I will always remember this marathon (which is admittedly cheesy) is that it's the first horror marathon I took my son Liam to. We had a blast, and it helped him down the twisted path of attending as many marathons as he can. (And yes, I did send him home for both FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN and A SERBIAN FILM... though he was waiting anxiously by the phone in the middle of the night for me to call my wife and tell him she could bring him back for the rest of the night once those installments wrapped.)

Long live the marathons!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:12 am 

My personal favorite has to be the second one I attended, Nightmare at Studio 35 2002. Not only did we have Bruce Campbell as a special guest, we had 3 great premieres (in my opinion) with Dagon, Dog Soldiers and Uzumaki. Plus The Haunting, Carnival of Souls, Evil Dead 1 & 2, The Hills Have Eyes, Dracula Has Risen From the Grave and the Southern-redneck double feature of 2000 Maniacs and Squirm. Also The Fearless Vampire Killers, but every marathon has a low point...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:33 am 
Site Admin

Nightmare at Studio 35
The 5th Annual 24 Hour Horror Marathon (S35H5)

SANDWICH World Premiere. 'Nuff said.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:48 pm 

Nightmare at Studio 35 The 3rd Annual 24 Hour Horror Marathon

Not only did this marathon have one of my favorite premiers (SESSION 9) but it also had some of my favorite classics PLUS How can you not love seeing Joe Bob Briggs Live???

12:00 PM Rosemary's Baby 1968
2:45 PM Creature From the Black Lagoon (in 3D) 1954
4:30 PM Nosferatu* (with Live Music) 1922
6:00 PM Night of the Living Bread 1990
6:15 PM The Teenage UFO Psycho Monster Sex Show 2001
7:55 PM Carrie 1976
10:00 PM Session 9 (Midwest Premiere) 2001
11:45 PM The Convent (Midwest Premiere) 2000
1:50 AM Don't Look Now 1973
3:45 AM The Howling 1981
5:45 AM I Drink Your Blood 1970
9:20 AM Halloween 1978
11:00 AM Buffy the Vampire Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:51 pm 

If you were to add Mini-Marathons to this list, my favorite would be "Nightmarathon" the only 'thon in the Columbus area to include "Friday the 13th" and "Count Yorga, Vampire" in the line up, and it was a rare treat to see Alice Cooper on the big screen at the height of his amazing career:

12:00 AM Rosemary's Baby 1968
3:00 AM The Abominable Dr. Phibes 1971
5:00 AM Alice Cooper: Welcome to my Nightmare 1975
7:00 AM Count Yorga, Vampire 1970
10:00 AM Friday the 13th