The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:25 pm 

Okay, so odd question but was thinking about my favorite Werewolf movie the other day and that got me thinking about my favorite movie from each monster sub-genre . So I pose this question to the forum: you can pick 5 movies for your ideal Monster Mash bash - each one has to represent a monster sub-genre. Examples and my picks:

Favorite Mummy movie: Blood from the Mummy's Tomb
Favorite Werewolf movie: Ginger Snaps
Favorite Vampire movie: From Dusk til Dawn
Favorite Zombie movie: tie- Dawn of the Dead - Dead Alive
Favorite creature/supernatural movie (this could include Frankenstein's monsters, aliens, ghosts, demons- just a more catch-all category): The Blair Witch Project (like many classics keeps all the spooky stuff just on the edges of the frame).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:08 pm 

thatmovieguy wrote:
Okay, so odd question but was thinking about my favorite Werewolf movie the other day and that got me thinking about my favorite movie from each monster sub-genre . So I pose this question to the forum: you can pick 5 movies for your ideal Monster Mash bash - each one has to represent a monster sub-genre. Examples and my picks:

Favorite Mummy movie: Blood from the Mummy's Tomb
Favorite Vampire movie: From Dusk til Dawn
Favorite Zombie movie: tie- Dawn of the Dead - Dead Alive
Favorite creature/supernatural movie (this could include Frankenstein's monsters, aliens, ghosts, demons- just a more catch-all category): The Blair Witch Project (like many classics keeps all the spooky stuff just on the edges of the frame).

Favorite Mummy movie: The Mummy with Brandon Fraser (fun flick like a new Indiana Jones)
Favorite Werewolf movie: An American Werewolf in London, Dog Soldiers & Silver Bullet
Favorite Vampire movie: Fright Night ('85) & From Dusk til Dawn
Favorite Zombie movie: Dawn of the Dead ('78) & Return of the Living Dead
Favorite creature/supernatural movie: Alien, Predator, The Descent & Leviathan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:45 pm 

Favorite Mummy movie: The Mummy with Brandon Fraser
Favorite Werewolf movie: An American Werewolf in London
Favorite Vampire movie: The Original Salem's Lot
Favorite Zombie movie: Dawn of the Dead ('78)
Favorite creature/supernatural movie: Sharknado and The Exorcist
Favorite Slasher movie: Halloween, Friday the 13th and Psycho

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:37 pm 

Favorite Mummy movie: The Mummy with Brandon Fraser
Favorite Werewolf movie: The Howling
Favorite Vampire movie: Fright Night
Favorite Zombie movie: Night of the Living Dead
Favorite creature/supernatural movie: Rosemary's Baby

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:44 pm 

To all: The Monster Squad

/thread

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:33 am 

Favorite Mummy movie: THE MUMMY (1932) - Sooo much better than the subsequent sequels and remakes
Favorite Werewolf movie: SILVER BULLET - One of Stephen King's best, too... "Private justice!!!"
Favorite Vampire movie: FRIGHT NIGHT (1985) - A great update of Dracula with some love for late-night TV hosts
Favorite Zombie movie: SHAUN OF THE DEAD - I prefer the zom coms, and Edgar Wright rocks.
Favorite creature movie: JAWS - You can't go wrong with the shark and score
Favorite supernatural movie: THE EXORCIST - Still one of the scariest movies around
Favorite Slasher movie: HALLOWEEN (1978) - One of John Carpenter's works of genius. (Shut up! Just shut up about that Zombie abortion!!!)

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Favorite Mummy movie: Believe it or not, I haven't seen many Mummy films. And as much as I love Karloff, the 1932 MUMMY is a bit creaky beyond his performance. So I'll go with BUBBA HO-TEP. Granted, it's not primarily a mummy movie, but Elvis and JFK do battle one. And the film itself is both great fun and very affecting. Geez, we should really play this at a Horror Marathon some day.

Favorite Werewolf movie: THE HOWLING. An expert blending of horror and humor, it never goes so far into either one to skew the results. I love AMERICAN WEREWOLF (the subway scene is still terrifying), but the pervasive sense of dread that permeates every inch of THE HOWLING gives it the edge for me.

Favorite Vampire movie: THE HUNGER. What, like you need to ask? Some day, we'll need to have a big ol' symposium at a Horror Marathon wherein I debate the HUNGER haters in the audience and school them on the merits of Tony Scott's undead opus.

Favorite Zombie movie: DAWN OF THE DEAD. For all of the reasons that I've gone into on this site so many times before.

Favorite creature movie: David Cronenberg's remake of THE FLY. I've always loved this one (it was one of the first R-rated films I saw as a child), but it continues to grow on me as an adult. At a screening a few years back, I got slightly choked up during the final scene. Now, that could have been because I was tired after staying up for 30 plus hours. But it's also a tribute to how emotionally affecting the film is, with a great script and two knockout lead performances by Goldblum and Davis. And those gory special effects!

Favorite supernatural movie: SUSPIRIA. 'Cause I'm living up to my own legend today. And also for all the reasons that I've written about on this site in the past.

Favorite Slasher movie: HALLOWEEN (1978) Always loved it, but it's only been in the past few years that I've started truly appreciating the technical mastery that Carpenter and crew display in crafting story that so simple, yet so stylistically sleek and effective. And on basically no budget! I really think that it's time for people to not just discuss HALLOWEEN as a great horror film, but as a great film, period.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:27 pm 

thatmovieguy wrote:

How in the world has this movie never played at the horror marathon? Or the sequel?

These are excellent horror movies built around the base of actually being a good movie, not just another slasher flick.

Ginger Snaps seems like the type of film too that I'll bet at least half the horror marathon audience has not seen, so it would surely be appreciated by most of the audience.

favorite slasher movie: I might actually be tempted to say Sleepaway Camp over Halloween. Another underrated film with some excellent sequels (they really are entertaining) that have never shown at the Columbus marathon. Though honestly I'd probably still have to say Halloween is better.