The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

We're so giddily exited for the upcoming OHIO PREMIERES of the festival hit HOUSEBOUND and the amazing, mind-blowing, psychedelic, psychotropic, psychosexual, experience with a capital "e" that is THE STRANGE COLOR OF YOUR BODY'S TEARS, that we've started to wax nostalgic about the long history of premieres at the Columbus Horror Marathons. The first ever premiere was the Ohio debut of Ken Russel's LAIR OF THE WHITE WORM, waaaaay back at the first NIGHT OF THE LIVING DREXEL in 1988. But there have been plenty more premiers of various stripes and levels of quality since then.

So this week's question is pretty straightforward: what are your all-time Top 3 Horror Marathon premieres? And why?

Two rules:

1. You have to have been in the audience for your choices. So as much as you might love watching DELIVER US FROM EVIL every Easter Sunday, if you were only an infant in 1989, you can't list that one (unless, of course, your parents were VERY twisted Nightmarathoids.)

2. DEAD ALIVE (or BRAINDEAD, as it was still known at the Drexel North in 1992) is almost universally considered to be the undisputed champ, the GREATEST PREMIERE IN HORROR MARATHON (and possibly MARATHON MARATHON) HISTORY!!! So we're benching it for this question. Yup, you can't include DEAD ALIVE in your list.

So have at it! And once again, if you need a refresher on what premiered in which year at what theater to which caffeine-sozzled audience, check out our partner in crime Mr. Zecchini's invaluable Hall of Marathonia archive here.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:52 pm 

1. Frankenhooker (NotLD 3 - October 1990)

Ok, it was dreadful, and Patty Mullins clearly wanted nothing to do with us. But for a thirteen-year-old, being able to meet a former Playboy Playmate was something I couldn't have even imagined until then.

2. Guyver (NotLD 4 - October 1991)

Gonzo anime-esque action. Mark Hamil. I was enthralled immediately. Even getting the sequel as a premiere years later didn't come close to matching the excitement. It really should have been a SF premiere - but it wasn't.

3. Return of the Living Dead 3 (NotLD 6 - October 1993)
I was a Junior in High School, heavy in to the Goth scene, and becoming a marathon veteran by now. I was totally unprepared for this, and completely in love. :)

Honorable Mentions: Three Extremes (DGH4), Them aka Ils (DGH6), Let The Right One In (DBH1), A Serbian Film (GH3)

And by word of explanation, I was forced to miss all of the Studio 35 Marathons.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:24 pm 

Having actually attended the 2nd Annual Night of the Living Drexel, I am tempted to list DELIVER US FROM EVIL simply to spite Joe. But upon reflection, I remember almost nothing about that film aside form Karen Black being in it and seeing various boob shots.

So, here's my favorites...

1) NIGHT OF THE LIVING BREAD - This played for the first time at the 3rd Annual Night of the Living Drexel, and people went bonkers for it. Does it not count because it's not a feature? Okay, that marathon was flush with cool premieres, so as a back-up I'd list FRANKENHOOKER from that line-up. Additional premieres of various types at that marathon included THE AMBULANCE, NIGHT LIFE, BRIDE OF RE-ANIMATOR and FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET (though that was a vintage film).

2) SAW - By this point in my life, I was a film critic, and Lionsgate didn't screen this movie for press. However, by attending The Incredible 2-Headed Marathon, I had a chance to see it in a public forum and thus review it that week. I drove from a funeral two states away to get to the marathon on time, and I actually enjoyed the movie (long before the series suffered from franchise rot down the road). It was the return of a great theatrical premiere, which isn't always possible.

3) THERE'S NOTHING OUT THERE - This played at the 4th Annual Night of the Living Drexel amid many other premieres (including CHILDREN OF THE NIGHT, THE GUYVER, SOCIETY, TWO EVIL EYES and THE BORROWER). It was one of the best premiere line-ups around, but I have a special place for the spoof-though-still-legitimate-slasher-movie nature of THERE'S NOTHING OUT THERE. Plus, the filmmakers were there and did a Q&A, in which my buddy asked if they paid more for the victims to go topless. (The answer is yes, they got like $50 more each to take off their shirts.)

There have been some great premieres over the years, but those are the ones that stick out in my mind as my favorites.

Honorable mentions: CHINESE GHOST STORY, THE UGLY, SESSION 9, DAGON, UZIMAKI, DOG SOLDIERS, THE LAST HORROR MOVIE and A SERBIAN FILM.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:32 am 

all of mine are pretty recent since I've only been going since 2004. Really though, I could list three from 04 alone (Gozu, The Machinist, Saw) but I'll spread it out a little just to comply with the question of the week.

1. The Machinist - absolutely loved this movie. Although it could be rendered more of psychological thriller than horror; the tone, the setting and the fact that Christian Bale lost 60 lbs for the role (then gained all of it back and then some for Batman Begins) blew me away. Although the ending was somewhat predictable, it was such a welcome introduction to the 'Thon.

2. Let the Right One In - Ok so maybe 1a and 1b? I loved this movie as well. Add to the fact that we got to see it several weeks before it was out, was pretty cool too. The love story was great, the gore factor was pretty good too but more importantly, just a great effing movie!

3. Them - Although not a new concept (home invasion, terrorizing isolated couple, etc..) there was something different about this flick that, to this day, I still can't quite put my finger on, that made more effective than movies like it. Add to that fact that Olivia Bonomy (hubba, hubba) was the main protagonist, that's just the icing on top.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:17 am 

1. A Serbian Film -- I'm pretty confident that I would have never seen this had it not played at the marathon. Love it or hate it, I think we all agree it was memorable and I'm really glad I got to be there for it.

2. Them -- very creepy, well made film that I don't hear about that often. I remember being really wrapped up in this when it played. Love to recommend this one to people who aren't really horror fans.

3. I really liked 1 & 2, but haven't been all that excited about the other premiers I've seen. I'm going to go with Black Sheep, for my #3 though. That one didn't hold up so well on a repeated viewing, but I remember that it was a lot of fun with the marathon crowd.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:48 am 

See Below

Last edited by Ghost on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:25 am 
Site Admin

I'll echo a few of the previous votes ... since I can legitimately say I was there at the time:

1a. SANDWICH - Because YOU SHALL ALL BOW TO THE SECRET BREAD EMPIRE!!! (Hey, my name is in the credits, it's mandatory that I include it in the top three.)

1b. THERE'S NOTHING OUT THERE - Rolf Kanefsky was one of the best guests we've ever had, and the film was an absolute hoot.

2. ILS (a.k.a. THEM) - Tremendously well done and a complete surprise at the time. Bought a copy as soon as it came available.

3. A CHINESE GHOST STORY 2 - (Technically, I enjoyed 1 more, but 2 was the only technical "Premiere") ... 'Cause I guess we're just going to have to storm hell.

DOG SOLDIERS would be on this list but I was out of town the year that it premiered. LET THE RIGHT ONE IN almost bumped into the top three. I've always had a soft spot (ladle?) for GOZU. JACOB'S LADDER was worthy of an honorable mention, too.

If only I'd been there for the premiere of LAIR OF THE WHITE WORM. :)

BRAINDEAD was, of course, the best example of a rabid fan-base being allowed to gorge on a vat of tasty, tasty raw meat, and the experience shall always reign supreme in my memory.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:25 am 

So many to choose from that it's hard to narrow down to 3. Went to my first in 1989 and though I've missed a lot of recent marathons i have many fond memories to sift through. In no particular order:

1. Bride of Re-Animator. A sequel to my favorite horror movie (at the time) premiering at my third ever marathon! My 14 year old self couldn't have been more excited. Granted the movie doesn't really hold up now but that doesn't matter. In my memory, it's a classic.

2. Session 9. What an unexpected surprise: a genuinely creepy and effective psychological horror film

3. Dog Soldiers. Great movie, great fun with a marathon audience

Honorable mentions: Two Evil Eyes, Cronos, Uzumaki, Jacob's Ladder, Versus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:32 am 

I'm also a newbie relative to most of the folks here, attending since just 2004, so my bench isn't as deep, but from what I gotst, I'ma gonna go with:

1. Let the Right One In. Mentioned this elsewhere, but not only was it a great movie, we got to see it well before it went to the masses (as mass as it went though -- I can't remember how widely or successful its theatrical run was). Made me feel cool, ahead of the curve.

2. Gozu. Also covered elsewhere. Anyone know where I can get some milk?

3. I also could go with Saw (which was pretty damn entertaining and cool in the moment before it it blew up to become what it became) or The Machinist, which is just good, but for the sake of variety, I'll toss my third vote to .... Midnight Son. My mind drifts back to this several times a year for reasons I cannot justify, but this one really stuck with me. Nothing revolutionary or bombastic or twisty about it, but I remain impressed with its small, human scale. Well done. I've looked up the participants on occasion and none seem to have gone on to much.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:33 am 

1) Saw- Not knowing anything about the movie made for a great experience. Who would have thought that a couple years later Saw would be the horror franchise juggernaut it turned out to be. Also I like the cool factor of saying I saw the movie before it was released it thearters.

2) Let the Right One In- IMO its one of the best vampire movies ever made. I loved the screening and bought the movie on bluray the day it came out.

3) Serbian Film- For better or worse Joe and Bruce will never live down screening this film. It made for a very memorable viewing experience.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:42 am 

1) I would go with "Brain Dead" Here but since that would be breaking the rules I will go with "Session 9" it seems people either Hate or Love this film, personally I found it to be a fun and creepy experience. It was a rare treat seeing this on the big screen. I have watched my DVD probaly a dozen times or so over the years and each time I am glad I popped it in the player.

2) "THERE'S NOTHING OUT THERE" Not only was it a blast but having the film makers in attendence was awesome.

3) "Versus" Whats not to love about this Bonkers, Evil Dead Rip-off???

Honorable Mentions: Chinese Ghost Story, Dog Soldiers, Saw, Frankenhooker

SCI-FI PREMIER Honorable Mention:
"The Last Push" aka "Astronaut: The Last Push" This was an amazing film and since watching it have become twitter Friends with Director Eric Hayden. I hope he makes another film just as amazing as this one. If you missed this one at the Sci-Fi marathon do yourself a favor and buy the DVD.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:47 am 

For those Keeping score, here is what all the above posts have had to say:

Frankenhooker
Guyver
Return of the Living Dead 3
NIGHT OF THE LIVING BREAD
SAW
THERE'S NOTHING OUT THERE
The Machinist
Them
Black Sheep
SANDWICH
A CHINESE GHOST STORY 2
Bride of Re-Animator
Session 9
Dog Soldiers
Let the Right One In
Gozu
Midnight Son

Honorable Mentions: Three Extremes (DGH4), Them aka Ils (DGH6), Let The Right One In (DBH1), A Serbian Film (GH3), CHINESE GHOST STORY, THE UGLY, SESSION 9, DAGON, UZIMAKI, DOG SOLDIERS, THE LAST HORROR MOVIE and A SERBIAN FILM DOG SOLDIERS, LET THE RIGHT ONE IN, GOZU, JACOB'S LADDER, Two Evil Eyes, Cronos, Uzumaki, Jacob's Ladder, Versus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:08 am 

Rather than repeat what others have said, I'll just list my favorites and move on:

3) Let the Right One In
2) Gozu
1) Tie - Session 9 and The Machinist (both Brad Anderson films, both great in their own ways)

Honorable (ahem) mention - A Serbian Film

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:27 am 
Site Admin

My first Horror Marathon was the 1993 NIGHT OF THE LIVING DREXEL, so I missed out on a decent chunk of legendary premieres. To think, I missed BRAINDEAD by ONE MARATHON! ONE! Agh!

Anyway, after a whole lotta thought, here's what I came up with, in no particular order of preference:

1. THE UGLY (BRIDE OF SHOCKTOBERFEST/1998)
-Okay, so this one's a bit of a cheat. After co-organizing the first SHOCKTOBERFEST all-nighter with future BEAT THE GEEKS star MArc Heuck and our pal Tim Martin, I got to essentially fly solo for the first time with THE BRIDE OF SHOCKTOBERFEST. After Tim threw me into the pit...er, I mean handed off the management reins of the Grandview to me, I got my first go-around at the programming book....and with the hosting duties. This, of course, was slightly terrifying. I still remember that October night in 1998, as I realized that I was about to be the first person other than Bruce to emcee a real Horror Marathon in Columbus. Thankfully, no one offed me that night.

But getting back to the cheat......we hosted the Ohio Premiere of Scott Reynolds's New Zealand psycho-killer thriller THE UGLY at this event. But I didn't see almost any of it, as I was in the lobby handling managerial duties. But I've seen it a few times since on video (including just two nights ago.) It's a pretty cool, almost completely forgotten film, a slow-burn, disturbing look at the gradual unraveling of the main character's mind. And the black blood. The black blood! Check this one out if you've never seen it.

2. CRONOS (NIGHT OF THE LIVING DREXEL/1993)
-This is a prime example of having your appreciation for a film grow over time. In the run-up to my first Horror Marathon, I was excited beyond belief about the prospect of seeing local premieres of Guillermo Del Toro's Mexican vampire flick AND......CARNOSAUR, both of which were in the mix for the Marathon. Then, near tragedy, as I called the Marathon Hotline (remember that veterans?) a few days before and heard the news that CRONOS had been pulled from the lineup. But when we all showed up at the Drexel North, we received the word that both CRONOS and CARNOSAUR were back on! Yeah!

And with all that, my reaction to CRONOS ended up being somewhat tepid. Having grown up on Abel Salazar Mexican vampires, I was expecting something more akin to those films, not the subdued gothic existentialism that Del Toro offered up. Plus, CRONOS played around midnight, and even back then I remarked that it would've played better mid-afternoon. But I've grown to really love this film over the years, so I now look back at that premiere screening as my first taste (to borrow the film's addiction metaphor.) Bruce and I have long talked about bringing it back again...and maybe even playing it at a decent hour.

3. A SERBIAN FILM (SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK/2011)
-I almost put SESSION 9 in this final slot; it's a film I really love, and it took me aback when we hosted its Midwest Premiere at the 2001 NIGHTMARE AT STUDIO 35. But SERBIAN FILM beats it out because (as many of you have mentioned) it was such a singular, unforgettable Marathon experience. No other premiere in Horror Marathon history has dragged me around, kicked me a few times, and then blew me through the back wall of the theater like SERBIAN FILM did. I'm still not 100% sure what I think about that, but I'll also never forget this screening.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:30 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, quick reversal of this question before I post the final QUESTION OF THE WEEK on Sunday: what are your bottom three premieres in Horror Marathon history? Scanning through the files, I was reminded of how cruddy the premieres were for the final NIGHT OF THE LIVING DREXEL in 1994 (PUMPKINHEAD 2: BLOOD WINGS, MOSQUITO, HAUNTED SYMPHONY....and CHINESE GHOST STORY 2 was old enough that it's not really a premiere.) There's a story connected to this for me, but I'll tell it later.

So yeah, what three Horror Marathon premieres rank the lowest in your experience? These can be just plain rotten, or just the least of a crop of good films.....however you want to go.