The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Here's something a little different. Kevin Carr and I sit down to begin a series of podcast oral histories about our time with the Marathons. Here's the first installment, which covers the beginning of the Drexel North years.

http://www.fatguysatthemovies.com/2015/05/marathon-chat-10/

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:50 pm 

I can't wait to listen to it. I remember the last horror marathon like it was yesterday:
Marathon participants were housebound in a Tenebrae, celebrating the demons of fear on screen that was shining like the strange color of your body's tears. The terror was enough that even The Satanist would enjoy it, and the sounds and music were as frightening as a Texas chain saw massacre. The friendly atmosphere grew on us like a manitou. The Costume Contest had costumes so creative that even The Wicker Man would have been impressed. It was with blood red luck that I stayed awake all 24 hours. After it was over, we disappeared from the theater like The Invisible Man and slept like Nosferatu. To my friends, I say "Hopefully, you're next to experience this most wonderful event!"

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:01 pm 

Cool podcast.

My 'origin' story is a bit like Joe's. I was in my High School library (again, this is all pre-internets kiddies) and opened up a copy of Boston's version of Hoot - The Real Paper. And, there was an ad for Boston's third Sci-Fi Marathon (yup, didn't even hear about the 'thon until then - hey, I was in the burbs). On my way home, I stopped by the newstand (strange 20th century object where Magazines and Newspapers were once sold) and picked up a copy of that issue of The Real Paper (and, like Joe, I still have it!

I called up the Orson Welles Cinema, but, to my horror - it was SOLD OUT! Arggggggggggggh! I had to wait a whole YEAR (and when you are a teen, a year seemed like a long long time!). I went to the next one and have kept going ever since -- 36 years and counting.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:04 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
Here's something a little different. Kevin Carr and I sit down to begin a series of podcast oral histories about our time with the Marathons. Here's the first installment, which covers the beginning of the Drexel North years.

http://www.fatguysatthemovies.com/2015/05/marathon-chat-10/

Very cool podcast, like a trip down memory lane. My story starts with a "Weekender" ad and a love for Vincent Price Films, especially THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL!!

A family member saw the article about the Horror Marathon in the "Weekender" which used to be apart of the Thursday Columbus Dispatch Newspaper and it went over events coming up for the weekend. The front cover was dedicated to the Horror Marathon with skeletons sitting in theater seats at the Drexel North.

He showed me the front cover and said "they are showing House on Haunted Hill at this event" I was immediately interested, I read the article, saw the lineup and called a couple friends and we decided to go.....

Much like Joe said, I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

Towards the end of the event Bruce and Jeff announced they had tickets on sale RIGHT NOW at a discount for the Sci-Fi marathon that would be held in April, even though no movies had been booked yet we didn't care, we forked over our hard earned cash on the spot and the marathon infection spread.....

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:41 am 

I first learned of the Horror Marathon back in 2004 while in my mother's car. She was in the driver's seat and my grandmother was in the passenger seat. My mother was reading an article in some newspaper, probably The Columbus Dispatch, about a certain 12 hour horror marathon that was going to be held at The Drexel Grandview. It was called "THE INCREDIBLE TWO-HEADED MARATHON: ATTACK OF THE HORROR HOSTS". It was not only the very first horror marathon I attended, it was also the very first movie marathon I attended of any kind. It was while waiting in line that I learned of the 24 Hour Sci Fi Marathon. I stayed awake all through that glorious night, as I watched Saw, Gozu, The Machinist, Deep Red, Cannibal Holocaust, The Return Of The Living Dead, and (the appropriately titled) The Last Horror Movie. Ironically, the namesake movie, The Incredible Two-Headed Transplant, was the one movie not shown. A sweet bit of irony. Words can not express how bad I feel that I have missed out on so many marathons for so many years, but one thing is for sure: I will never miss another one. Thank you Joe and Bruce for delivering the greatest event in Ohio history.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:58 am 

As somebody who has never lived in Columbus, and only discovered the sci-fi and horror marathons a little over a decade ago (first marathon at Arena Grand), I've got zero reference or perception of the Drexel North. Was it a real place, or are you folks all just making it up and pulling my leg? If not for the fact that I believe every word the marathon podcasts tell me, I wouldn't know.

I don't think I'd be going too far out on a limb if I were to suggest that a large number of current marathon-goers never went to any of the Drexel North marathons (though I'm not sure if that number is over 50% just yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was), so any details you want to fill in about that place and any hijinks that happened therein would be welcome.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:26 am 

It does my heart good to hear these stories of the old days. The first sci-fi marathon happened 8 months before I was born. I want a DVD box set of the 7 hours of unedited Drexel North footage!

I'm from the Akron area but I first learned of the Sci-Fi marathon via a flier (I think) when I was attending Ohio State in 2008. I went by myself that year, but everyone was so friendly that I never felt alone. The next year I went back and took a friend, and that made it twice as fun. Couldn't make it down again until 2013, but I've been attending Sci-Fi and Horror every year since. THONS FOREVER!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:03 am 

Always fun to hear everyone's first marathon experience and the stories from the old Drexel North days. Yes, it was a real place. Now, it only exists in legends. It's where Vikings go when they die in battle.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:20 am 

agentstinky wrote:
I want a DVD box set of the 7 hours of unedited Drexel North footage!

Now THAT is a good idea! How about it, Joe and Bruce? If you sell archive footage of the marathons on DVD and/or Bluray, it would make more money from the marathons, and it would show people who have never attended WHY they should attend; the fun, family like atmosphere, the crazy hijinks, the funny banter, etc. I would DEFINITELY buy such DVD's! Great idea, Agent Stinky! I salute you!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

So cool to hear all of your responses to the Marathon Chat podcast! If you liked that one, check out PART 2!!! A 2 hour 15 minute extravaganza of Marathoid memories! As Capt. Rhodes would say "Choke on it!!!"

http://www.fatguysatthemovies.com/2015/05/marathon-chat-11/

And as for the 7 hours of 1992 footage? Maybe someday..... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:47 am 

Speaking of which, I feel like I always see somebody walking around with a video camera at the marathons...does anything get done with this footage? If so, I missed any sort of news/link, but otherwise I assume it's just sitting around somewhere for potential use at a later date.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:44 pm 

You guys need to make this into an actual Podcast so I can download it instead of Streaming it

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm 

I download them and put them on my iphone to listen to when I have to drive a few hours.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:31 pm 

Ghost wrote:
You guys need to make this into an actual Podcast so I can download it instead of Streaming it

Ghost, they're listed on iTunes, etc. as "Second Reel from Fat Guys at the Movies"

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:34 pm 

RE: Part II of the Marathon history podcast.

Boston had Four Schlock Around The Clock Marathons. They did ok, but, once Bruce left, there was nobody there to really spearhead them. I contacted the people in charge of the theater, but, there wasn't a soul there to lead the charge any longer. Never had only 30 people as apparently was the case with the 2nd Ohio one. I'd say there was still a good 150-250 for the 4th and final Boston edition. Similar deal with the four Boston Horror 'thons. Just petered out because nobody lead the charge at the old Orson Welles. Plus, they had the rather dumb idea of holding the Horror marathon on the 4th Of July weekend - and a movie theater isn't the place folks want to spend 12 hours inside! In fact, I helped book the fourth and final Horror marathon from L.A., and couldn't even make it back for it myself.

And, for the life of me, I can't understand why Ohio finds DAUGHTERS OF DARKNESS and VAMPYRES to be the nadirs of vampire flicks at the horror 'thons.