The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:33 pm 

Ok I know this will start trouble but I swear I am not trolling....I watched IT FOLLOWS last night and I didn't like it, it was ok but certainly wasn't great. about 30 minutes in I was like
Spoiler: show
"oh this is a re imagining of "THE RING".
I did like the characters and the acting was solid
and the pool scene was fun
however I didn't get sucked into the movie so I had plenty of time to find the flaws,
for example the chain of infected people would collapse quickly and the original carrier would die...so than what happens??
Personally I hope this doesn't show at the horror marathon but if it does I hope its like 3am so I can take a nap.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:08 pm 

Ghost wrote:
Ok I know this will start trouble but I swear I am not trolling....I watched IT FOLLOWS last night and I didn't like it, it was ok but certainly wasn't great. about 30 minutes in I was like
"oh this is a re imagining of "THE RING".
I did like the characters and the acting was solid
and the pool scene was fun
however I didn't get sucked into the movie so I had plenty of time to find the flaws,
for example the chain of infected people would collapse quickly and the original carrier would die...so than what happens??
Personally I hope this doesn't show at the horror marathon but if it does I hope its like 3am so I can take a nap.

It is not my intention to "start trouble," but your comparison of IT FOLLOWS to
THE RING
is fundamentally flawed. The former may ultimately exist in a universe with similar "rules," but its plot is inspired by
the consequences of child abuse and neglect,
whereas IT FOLLOWS is an obvious (sometimes too obvious) extended metaphor about the dangers of unprotected sex. The relentlessness of the monster and the tone and style of the storytelling are fairly similar, but ultimately, the former was all about the "reveal" and the latter is all about what happens after making those tough decisions.
And the invisible-yet-visible, parasitic nature of the monster was pretty darn creepy.

I too felt the acting was solid and the climactic scene was superb. I also enjoyed the edgy, retro-synth score that seems to be all the rage these days.

Your final spoiler that made you not like the movie is just a serious case of over-thinking the premise.
And I personally don't think that things would "collapse" quite as quickly as you think, especially given the other prevalent theme of the movie of human beings struggling to survive at all costs, including morals...never feeling safe, unable to live down past regrets.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

I love it when we delve deep into covert language when discussing films here! This is easily one of the most extended tangos of secrecy around plot points that I can remember. :wink:

I finally saw IT FOLLOWS a few weeks back (yeah, I know....it just slipped past me in theaters.) Now this is a film in which the production team's mastery of the form (from camerawork to editing to sound design) is on full display. Every shot and soundtrack choice helped to build an ineffable sense of dread...which is something that's often hard to achieve in modern horror.

None of this should be construed as a guarantee that it'll play at this year's Horror Marathon. But I think that most of the audience would enjoy it on the big screen, and in this setting. And at the very least, it would get people talking.

EDIT: Had to fix my grammar above, especially since my fellow English grad Mr. UsersID is reading. Wouldn't want to damage my credentials in front of the learned. :wink:

I also felt like I undersold IT FOLLOWS in the name of objectivity. On a personal level, this was easily the best horror film that I've seen in several years. Does that completely shade my decisions as a programmer? Not really. But I do think that it would be cool to see again with this crowd.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:30 am 

I thought It Follows was all hat and no (well, few) cattle.

Great idea backed by an obviously skilled and knowledgeable production team. But the execution was a bit of a mess to me. It sets rules (at least as I understood it) for what the monster/demon/spirit can do that it doesn't adhere too. I suppose you could excuse it by saying the characters don't really understand what they're confronted with, but it just felt like sloppy writing to me. Pool climax was well done technically, but felt lazy. I thought parts of the score were way over the top too.
I know that sounds like I'm picking nits, but the movie didn't rise enough above these small issues for me to forgive it.

All that said, I liked it fine. Just didn't think it earned the amount of raves I heard about going into it.
I think it would play very well at a 'thon whenever that day comes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:52 am 

IamJacksUserID wrote:

It is not my intention to "start trouble," but your comparison of IT FOLLOWS to
THE RING
is fundamentally flawed. The former may ultimately exist in a universe with similar "rules," but its plot is inspired by
the consequences of child abuse and neglect,
whereas IT FOLLOWS is an obvious (sometimes too obvious) extended metaphor about the dangers of unprotected sex. The relentlessness of the monster and the tone and style of the storytelling are fairly similar, but ultimately, the former was all about the "reveal" and the latter is all about what happens after making those tough decisions.
And the invisible-yet-visible, parasitic nature of the monster was pretty darn creepy.

I disagree that the main metaphor of IT FOLLOWS was about the dangers of unprotected sex. I think it was about the bigger issue of fundamental fears of adolescence, and how sexuality and getting older and losing the innocence of childhood turns into a sort of vague sense of dread, and we try to find connection through either meaningless sex or more serious relationships. But either way, it feels like we're trying to outrun something, while at the same time being scared that we're passing on whatever is wrong with us to the people we try to connect with. Certainly the fear of STDs is a facet of that, but I don't think the movie was a straightforward morality tale.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:51 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
On a personal level, this was easily the best horror film that I've seen in several years. Does that completely shade my decisions as a programmer? Not really. But I do think that it would be cool to see again with this crowd.

You really need to watch more horror films :) but in all seriousness if you liked IT FOLLOWS that's cool but I guess I don't like this new trend in Horror films where they leave it up to the viewer to figure out the meaning (Like The Babadook) I mean come on sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, why does everything have to be so cryptic?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:39 pm 

Ghost wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:
On a personal level, this was easily the best horror film that I've seen in several years. Does that completely shade my decisions as a programmer? Not really. But I do think that it would be cool to see again with this crowd.

You really need to watch more horror films :) but in all seriousness if you liked IT FOLLOWS that's cool but I guess I don't like this new trend in Horror films where they leave it up to the viewer to figure out the meaning (Like The Babadook) I mean come on sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, why does everything have to be so cryptic?

Zombeavers...Zombeavers is a movie about Zombie Beavers...and it's delightfully awful.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:56 pm 

I loved Zombeavers but you do realize it was a political statement about pollution and the effect is has on animals :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:36 pm 

I love It Follows but I was a little let down by The Babadook. A lot of people hyped it up and I just couldn't get into it.

One little Netflix gem I watched a couple months ago was Late Phases. That was a good one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:38 am 

Zombeavers was indeed quite fun and funny, and I'll jump on the It-Follows-was-the-best-horror-movie-in-years train too. Everything about that movie was just outstanding.

The production design, that opening scene that makes so much more sense after seeing the movie, the music, the paranoia, the non-stop looking at every single background character walking through a scene. Love it all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:14 am 

Royals wrote:
I love It Follows but I was a little let down by The Babadook. A lot of people hyped it up and I just couldn't get into it.

One little Netflix gem I watched a couple months ago was Late Phases. That was a good one.

It's funny. I stated my lukewarmness to It Follows a few posts earlier, but I LOVED The Babadook. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:56 am 

Ghost wrote:
I loved Zombeavers but you do realize it was a political statement about pollution and the effect is has on animals :evil:

Well either that or hiring unqualified workers, texting while driving or hiring John Mayer for anything. So deep...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:40 pm 

To all of the haters of It Follows:
My personal take on It Follows is, it is several things. First, it is a movie that (in MY opinion) successfully manages to make an entire story out of the often played to death Horror movie cliche where the killer (or one of the killers) is merely walking towards a person and no matter HOW FAST the person runs, the killer somehow successfully manages to catch up to him/her. The second thing It Follows is, is possibly a metaphor for the danger of STD's. Why not? Horror films can have morals, and I definitely think that a lot of people don't give It Follows enough credit. Let's take into account how small the budget for this film must have been, and this film STILL manages to pull off the "classic Horror movie feel" often shown in 70's and 80's Horror movies! The soundtrack is probably the best thing about this movie! It was done by DisasterPeace. Pardon my French, but I love the SHIT out of this movie! I agree with Joe 999%! It is also one of the best Horror films I have seen in years as well! Someone on this board said the plot was "sloppy"? I disagree. The reason why the plot of It Follows may SEEM sloppy is because you are misinterpreting it. Whenever you watch a movie, NEVER try to see it how YOU want it to be. That mindset is doomed to failure. Instead, try to see it how the crew of the movie sees it. In other words, if you think every movie is tailor made to suit JUST YOU and nobody else, you are going to hate every single movie ever made! Realize that, unless you worked on the movie, you had nothing to do with any of these movies, so of course you're probably not going to like EVERYTHING about a movie. True, SOME movies have sloppy plots, like Troma movies, where they couldn't give a $&@% about ANYTHING in the movies they produce. I DO NOT think that is the case for It Follows. I think what you call "sloppy", I call "vague on purpose". Why would a Horror movie villain be made to be so vague and mysterious? Well, do you really think a Horror movie villain would be anywhere NEAR as creepy if EVERY SINGLE DETAIL about the villain were told to you in the first five minutes? Of course not. A good Horror movie slowwwwwly leaks the details of the plot and the intention of the villain(s) as the movie progresses.

Last edited by HorrorTriviaMaster on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:17 am 

HorrorTriviaMaster wrote:
To all of the haters of It Follows:
My personal take on It Follows is, it is several things. First, it is a movie that (in MY opinion) successfully manages to make an entire story out of the often played to death Horror movie cliche where the killer (or one of the killers) is merely walking towards a person and no matter HOW FAST the person runs, the killer somehow successfully manages to catch up to him/her. The second thing It Follows is, is possibly a metaphor for the danger of STD's. Why not? Horror films can have morals, and I definitely think that a lot of people don't give It Follows enough credit. Let's take into account how small the budget for this film must have been, and this film STILL manages to pull off the "classic Horror movie feel" often shown in 70's and 80's Horror movies! The soundtrack is probably the best thing about this movie! It was done by DisasterPeace. Pardon my French, but I love the SHIT out of this movie! I agree with Joe 999%! It is also one of the best Horror films I have seen in years as well! Someone on this board said the plot was "sloppy"? I disagree. The reason why the plot of It Follows may SEEM sloppy is because you are misinterpreting it. Whenever you watch a movie or show, NEVER try to see it how YOU want it to be. That mindset is doomed to failure. Instead, try to see it how the crew of the movie sees it. In other words, if you think every movie and show is tailor made just to suit JUST YOU and nobody else, you are going to hate every single movie and show ever made! Realize that, unless you worked on the movie, you had nothing to do with any of these movies, so of course you're probably not going to like EVERYTHING about a movie. True, SOME movies have sloppy plots, like Troma movies, where they couldn't give a $&@% about ANYTHING in the movies they produce. I DO NOT think that is the case for It Follows. I think what you call "sloppy", I call "vague on purpose". Why would a Horror movie villain be made to be so vague and mysterious? Well, do you really think a Horror movie villain would be anywhere NEAR as creepy if EVERY SINGLE DETAIL about the villain were told to you in the first five minutes? Of course not. A good Horror movie slowwwwwly leaks the details of the plot and the intention of the villain(s) as the movie progresses.

With an 83 on Metacritic, a 96 on Rotten Tomatoes and 7/10 from IMDB users (just to pick a few measures) there are very few It Follows "haters" out there in the world.

While I stand by my criticism that it is sloppy at points, I also said I LIKED the movie. I just didn't like it to the degree that so many others have. To put a letter grade on it, I'd say it is B/B-. I think it's a clever idea, with ok execution (i.e. not bad, but also not revolutionary/amazing/heretofore unseen). As for the score, I really liked the pieces when the kids were just driving around, but any time it wanted to build tension it shifted to this piercing, shrill electric mess. Yes, I know music is used to build tension all the time, I just found the use here to be intrusive more than effective.

And what's this you say? Movies aren't made to suit just me? Boy have I wasted the last 30+ years of movie watching. :roll:
The movie is the movie. I believe filmmaker intent should be a factor in any evaluation, but if the movie doesn't deliver, those intentions don't mean very much. I say that more as a general point about watching movies, not specifically to It Follows.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:13 am 

From what I have seen in many recent "horror" films is the makers of the film don't have a complete story, they only have the part of the story that provided shock value. For example Martyrs, the writers obviously had a very clear idea that they wanted to shock the viewer with scenes of torture However they put ZERO thought into why they were doing this or how to end it, so what we get is an ending that makes you so WTF I watched this whole movie for nothing. Now if you like seeing just the torture scenes than yes you would like the movie but if you wanted a deeper reason as to why this is happening you need to fill in the blanks yourself because the writers are not smart enough to fill them in for you.

As for IT FOLLOWS I picture patient Zero as a horny 16 year old boy who conjured up a sex demon and things went terrible wrong.