The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:08 am 

I watched the original Salem's Lot and Nothing but the Night (aka Castle of the Living dead) on Sunday and Monster on Campus via Sveengoolie on Saturday Night.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:49 am 

Last night I watched "ONE DARK NIGHT" a creepy little film from 1982 starring Meg Tilly and Directed by Thomas McLoughlin who also directed Friday the 13th part 6 Jason Lives and will be appearing at the DRIVE-IN MASSACRE this weekend:

http://www.theskylinedrivein.com/
http://www.theskylinedrivein.com/events/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

In between trying to assemble the flier (which is now worming its way into quality outlets and telephone poles near you) and fielding other matters most Marathon...I've found a little time to celebrate the start of Halloween season.

Last weekend, inspired in part by a friend's challenge, I finally watched Neil LaBute's remake of THE WICKER MAN...which wasn't the total abortion that I'd always hear it would be. Flipping the central concept to feminists putting the beatdown to men is actually a pretty intriguing concept, especially as Nic Cage becomes more and more misogynistic as the film progresses. And the cast is solid. But too much of it is just flat. And Cage is clearly acting in a totally different film altogether. His eccentric chops need equally eccentric material against which to thrive; this film's slow burn sedate tone doesn't provide that. But overall, it was okay.

A few nights back, I took the plunge and watched a film that had scarred me as 9 year-old Joe Neff so many years ago when he saw it on COMMANDER USA's GROOVY MOVIES (anyone remember THAT Saturday afternoon cable gem?): TALES THAT WITNESS MADNESS! As omnibus films go, it's fairly weak sauce (ASYLUM is still my favorite of this sub-genre). But it has a real nasty streak that still sorta needled the impressionable 9 year-old in me. The episode with the man falling in love with a tree is like an absurdist satire of the bored British upper class. And the final episode, with Kim Novak and the luau from Hell, is sorta trangressive...and sorta silly.

But boy, the recent highlight for me was FINALLY getting around to watching Adrian Garcia Bogliano's LATE PHASES. Wow! What an outstanding modern werewolf film, anchored by a great lead performance by Nick Damici (who also starred in STAKE LAND.) I won't say too much, lest I spoil anything, but if you haven't seen this, check it out post-haste on Netflix. And while you're there, check out Bogliano's HERE COMES THE DEVIL (which we almost showed last year...and might still show at a future Marathon.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:58 am 

This past week I played through THE WALKING DEAD: SEASON ONE on PS4, which is a story-driven adventure game based on the Walking Dead comics. Pretty interesting since it focuses more on the story, the state of mind of the survivors, and making really tough, morally ambiguous decisions. There are action sequences where you're fighting zombies, but it's not like Left 4 Dead or something where it's a fast-paced shooter.

Playing the game also motivated me to give THE WALKING DEAD TV series another shot, and I watched the first few episodes. The last time I tried, there was something about the writing or acting that kind of put me off...too melodramatic or something? But I think I want to try and stick with it.

Joe Neff wrote:
But boy, the recent highlight for me was FINALLY getting around to watching Adrian Garcia Bogliano's LATE PHASES. Wow! What an outstanding modern werewolf film, anchored by a great lead performance by Nick Damici (who also starred in STAKE LAND.) I won't say too much, lest I spoil anything, but if you haven't seen this, check it out post-haste on Netflix. And while you're there, check out Bogliano's HERE COMES THE DEVIL (which we almost showed last year...and might still show at a future Marathon.)

Adding these to my Netflix list now!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:39 am 

The X From Outer Space. Pretty enjoyable Japanese monster pic.

Have turned on B Movie TV on Roku a few times and watched chunks of some Japanese vampire movie from the 70s (didn't get the name) and the New York Ripper. That is a nasty little piece of work.

Have to get on to finishing Twin Peaks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:58 pm 

Ghost wrote:
Last night I watched "ONE DARK NIGHT" a creepy little film from 1982 starring Meg Tilly and Directed by Thomas McLoughlin who also directed Friday the 13th part 6 Jason Lives and will be appearing at the DRIVE-IN MASSACRE this weekend:

I have it on DVD. It is truly a Horror gem. It's one of those Horror movies that I seen part of on television, but either didn't know the name of it or couldn't remember it, and so I went through HELL AND BACK to find. Meg Tilly was amazing in this, as well as Psycho 2. This movie also stars the actress who did the voice of Chucky (not THAT Chucky LOL), the one from Rugrats.

Also, I recently watched DIGGING UP THE MARROW, which stars Ray Wise from Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and RoboCop, two movies that are part of Ohio marathon history. It's really great. You all should check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:02 pm 

I guess I'm in more of a horror game mood right now, because this weekend I started playing UNTIL DAWN. It's basically an adventure game that plays like an interactive horror movie in the teen slasher/cabin in the woods genre. But it also has some mysterious meta elements that, at the point I've gotten to in the story, haven't been fully explained yet. Like THE WALKING DEAD game, it focuses a lot on making tough choices, both carefully considered and in the heat of the moment, and the unintended consequences these choices can have later in the story. The actual story is a little cliche and a few of the characters are really annoying (maybe I just find teenagers really annoying?), but the weird meta sections and exploration aspect are keeping me interested.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:49 am 

Ghost wrote:

Thomas McLoughlin told me he is working on a new version of "ONE DARK NIGHT", I don't like most remakes but I can't wait to see what he does with this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:48 am 

Watched "The Mist" last night.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:19 am 

Late Phases and Stakeland are both great movies.

A few friends and I tried to play through the original Resident Evil in a single evening while watch Fulci and Bava films as well as Hellraiser II.

As far as music goes, I've been listening to a lot of Uncle Acid.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:55 am 

Farva wrote:

the Mist was Great, Best ending ever!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:32 am 

Ghost wrote:
Farva wrote:

Yes, great ending, as messed up as it is. I think I've seen it about 20 times. Great movie with a bunch of actors/actresses that later went onto be on Darabont's Walking Dead.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:20 pm 

Tomorrow I'm going to a friends house to watch:

-Mad House (1974)
-Happy Birthday to Me (1981)
-House of the Long Shadows (1983)

All on Glorious HD Blu-Ray!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:18 am 

Ghost wrote:
Farva wrote:

.....Please tell me you're kidding. The ending is one of the worst I have ever seen in cinema history, possibly THE worst. I won't spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen it, but....sigh.....it's stupid. Great movie, LOUSY ending!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:37 am 

HorrorTriviaMaster wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Farva wrote:

.....Please tell me you're kidding. The ending is one of the worst I have ever seen in cinema history, possibly THE worst. I won't spoil it for anyone that hasn't seen it, but....sigh.....it's stupid. Great movie, LOUSY ending!!

I loved it because it was the polar opposite of a Hollywood Happy Ending.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next