The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:55 am 

August is upon us, and I don't know about you, but the last full month of summer gets me thinking of fall, which of course means HORROR. So as we dip our toe into the waters of the macabre and begin the ramp up to SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK 2015, let everyone know: what are you watching leading up to the 'thon? We've done this thread in years past and I enjoyed it, so feel free to share whatever horror-related things you're enjoying to get yourself in the spirit, be they old favorites or new discoveries.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:57 am 

Over the past few weeks, I watched VIDEODROME, NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, and THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE, all of which were first time viewings for me (!). I've also been working my way through the TV version of HANNIBAL, which I know comes highly recommended by Joe Neff. I'm almost done with season 1 and I can't wait to see where it goes next.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:41 am 

2 weekend ago I watched Maniac Cop and Maniac Cop 2 on Blu-Ray (Still need to watch part 3) I also watched the Blu-ray of "Two Evil Eyes" on the same night.

This last weekend I watch "Kiss of the Vampire" on Svengoolie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Well hey, Halloween is like my Christmas, so I do the same thing as the rest of you 'round this time of year. And it helps me to get a bit more excited about getting the SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK death machine up and running.

In the last week or so, I've checked out AMERICAN MARY (decent, sometimes inconsistent effort from the Soska Sisters, with a great lead perf by Katharine Isabelle), A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT (great oddball Iranian vampire flick from earlier this year), THE GUEST (Adam Wingard's follow up to YOU'RE NEXT....not a straight horror film, but a lot of fun in some horrific ways), and BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (which, aside from a few wooden performances, is still a pretty impressive work of production design, special fx, and cinematography.)

And yes, we're working on this year's Horror Marathon. A lot of moving parts, and we don't want to announce anything definite until we know how several possibilities might go.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:39 pm 

Thank you to Joe for name dropping one of my FAVORITE actresses of all time, the scream queen Katharine Isabelle! :P I fell in love with her ever since Ginger Snaps. I've watched POLTERGEIST, DRAG ME TO HELL, LIZZY BORDEN TOOK AN AXE, HONEYMOON, EXTRATERRESTRIAL, DEAD SPACE: AFTERMATH (based on the Survival Horror game franchise) and MATINEE (not a Horror film, but it pays tribute to the old 50's Horror and Sci Fi films).

Last edited by HorrorTriviaMaster on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:53 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (which, aside from a few wooden performances

The better to stake a vampire through the heart!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:53 pm 

agentstinky wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:
BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA (which, aside from a few wooden performances

The better to stake a vampire through the heart!

"What was that? A little vampire humor? Well, it wasn't funny!"
- Corey Haim, The Lost Boys
8)

Last edited by HorrorTriviaMaster on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:38 am 

Hocus Pocus and Ernest Scared Stupid. They're two of my favorite Halloween films!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:54 am 

Royals wrote:
Hocus Pocus and Ernest Scared Stupid. They're two of my favorite Halloween films!

You might like a Horror themed episode of "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color" called "Mr. Boogedy". It was a show that aired on The Disney Channel and this episode aired in the 80's.

Last edited by HorrorTriviaMaster on Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:16 pm 

HorrorTriviaMaster wrote:
Royals wrote:

You might like a Horror themed episode of "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color" called "Mr. Boogedy". It's a show that aired on The Disney Channel in the 80's.

Thinking about kids' horror stuff reminded me of The Haunted Mask, the two-part pilot for the 90s Goosebumps TV series. We had it on VHS and it legitimately scared me as a kid. The mask designs are really creepy, and the climax really freaked me out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:25 pm 

HorrorTriviaMaster wrote:
Thank you to Joe for name dropping one of my FAVORITE actresses of all time, the scream queen Katharine Isabelle!

Shout out to the soon-to-be-departed Hannibal too where she is also very good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:17 pm 

agentstinky wrote:
Thinking about kids' horror stuff reminded me of The Haunted Mask, the two-part pilot for the 90s Goosebumps TV series. We had it on VHS and it legitimately scared me as a kid. The mask designs are really creepy, and the climax really freaked me out.

"The Haunted Mask".... Why does that sound so familiar...

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 38.83 KiB | Viewed 14910 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:13 pm 

I really enjoyed this thread last year so I'm happy to see that it returns this year. I'm always real timid sitting down and watching a horror flick before the lineup is announced so I've been sticking mainly to other genre films. That said, we just recently rewatched "It Follows" when my bluray arrived a few weeks ago. It's been discussed ad nausem here so I'll spare another discussion but I would not be upset if I had to see it again here in a few months at the marathon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:38 am 

Well, It Follows has been discussed somewhat. I wouldn't say it has been to an obsessive, irritating point. This is a Horror marathon forum after all. I think it's my long messages that make it seem like it has been discussed more than it actually has. Any who, I enjoy this thread too, and I'm definitely not timid about watching Horror at any time. Horror movies are my crack addiction. You can't keep me away from them. I attended the double feature at Gateway Film Center where they screened Found and Headless. Any chance either of those could screen at the Horror thon? (especially Headless!!!)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:25 pm 

In the last few weeks I watched HOUSE OF THE DEVIL on Netflix and THE GIFT in theaters.