The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:28 pm 

not worldsfinest wrote:
Progeny. An icky Yuzna-Gordon joint about an alien baby.

One thing I have learned since my time existing on this planet is that "icky" and "Yuzna" are inseperable, going together like the stripes on a candy cane, so really, it goes without saying.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:20 am 

HorrorTriviaMaster wrote:
not worldsfinest wrote:

One thing I have learned since my time existing on this planet is that "icky" and "Yuzna" are inseperable, going together like the stripes on a candy cane, so really, it goes without saying.

Very true. I apologize for the redundancy. :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:43 pm 

not worldsfinest wrote:
HorrorTriviaMaster wrote:
not worldsfinest wrote:

Very true. I apologize for the redundancy. :D

No need to apologize. :) I was just thinking of all the ooey, gooey, gorylicious (like that word? "gorylicious"? LOL) movies that Brian Yuzna has directed..... (looks at Society, nearly barfs in mouth)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:54 am 

I finished Until Dawn (horror game), and I'm continuing to watch episodes of Hannibal and The Walking Dead. Watched a couple of Twin Peaks eps to get back in the Twin Peaks spirit, but a full rewatch before the marathon is not gonna happen at this point.

Last night we had some friends over and watched HOUSE (1977), aka HAUSU, the crazy Japanese haunted house movie which showed at SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK 2010. After that we put on GRABBERS, but we didn't end up paying much attention to it. I enjoyed what I saw, though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:10 am 

This weekend I watched LATE PHASES based on Joe's recommendation and was not disappointed. I also finally got around to watching WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS, which I delayed based on a hunch that it may have shown up at the marathon this year. Maybe it still will one of these years because it is hilarious and boy oh boy would the marathon crowd simply eat it up. I highly recommend both.

P.S. SICARIO is indeed one of the best movies to come out this year and it took several minutes for my heart to stop beating rapidly afterwards when I saw it.

P.P.S. I have another recommendation that is not in the horror genre, but as the same with SICARIO, still takes you on a disturbing emotional journey similar to the best horror movies. In this particular case, it is also not actually a movie, but Comedy Central's deliciously dark comedy series REVIEW. It just wrapped up it's second season, but is available on their app and also on HULU.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:28 am 

Last Night I watched the 1988 Charles Band Classic GHOST TOWN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:14 am 

Ghost wrote:
Last Night I watched the 1988 Charles Band Classic GHOST TOWN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw722dGGvy4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:26 pm 

Watched the doc Nightmares in Red, White & Blue. Enjoyed it.

Watching The Prowler (1981) now. Wicked looking killer in WWII garb, strutting around with a giant-ass knife and pitchfork. He double pitchforked a couple making out. I was impressed. Didn't know the tines could go through two people. Pretty gnarly death at the end of that one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:05 am 

not worldsfinest wrote:

Watching The Prowler (1981) now. Wicked looking killer in WWII garb, strutting around with a giant-ass knife and pitchfork. He double pitchforked a couple making out. I was impressed. Didn't know the tines could go through two people. Pretty gnarly death at the end of that one.

I love The Prowler, did you notice it was very similar to Friday the 13th part 2?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:13 am 

Really kicking it into high gear this week...Since 10/1, it's gone like this...

The Nightmare Before Christmas...this is my 10/1 tradition.
Sleepy Hollow
The Houses October Built...crummy found footage crap
Mad Ron's Prevues From Hell
Rosemary's Baby
Children of the Corn
An American Werewolf in London
The Machinist

Also, if you've not watched it, I HIGHLY recommend Scream Queens on Fox...really well written and really, really funny!

Friday is our annual Pre-thon-a-thon. Nothing has been confirmed but I'm sure we'll have some delightful, frightful treats!

Also, since it's now available on Netflix, definitely throwing in some Spooky Buddies...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:26 am 

Worldsfinest wrote:
Also, if you've not watched it, I HIGHLY recommend Scream Queens on Fox...really well written and really, really funny!

We love Scream Queens. It strikes us as being very much American Horror Story: Sorority with just a little bit of extra camp thrown in there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:13 am 

Ghost wrote:
not worldsfinest wrote:

I love The Prowler, did you notice it was very similar to Friday the 13th part 2?

Didn't occur to me at the time, but now that you mention it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:35 am 

Ghost wrote:

Why are there so many anti-dance movies in the 80's? The Prowler, My Bloody Valentine, Prom Night, Footloose, etc...

Some people just want to dance and get a little boom, boom without being judged or viciously murdered.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:40 am 

Worldsfinest wrote:

AEinhorn wrote:
We love Scream Queens. It strikes us as being very much American Horror Story: Sorority with just a little bit of extra camp thrown in there.

Scream Queens is great and the kill scenes are creative and fun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:01 am 

Da Sweet Blood of Jesus. Spike Lee horror joint. Well, horror-ish. Really dug it. Not all-out horror but definite elements and some gore. Stylish. A little moving, even.

Speaking of moving, the end of It's Alive kind of got to me a little too when the father confronts the monster. Sewer tunnel sequence was cool though the thought of cops driving their cars into sewer tunnels then needing to get out nagged at me.

The Innocents. Awesome and eerie. A classic.

The Living Skeleton. Cool, old Japanese vengeful ghost creeper. Cheap, but charming effects. Entertaining story.

Horror Express. Just a load of fun. Sweet - looking but nonsensical monster (ancient? Alien? Devil? All?). Memorable, effective kills. Telly Savalas set to full ham. Lee and Cushing. I know Joe floated it as a thon choice this year for Lee. It'd be a good one for the future.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next