The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:00 pm 

Here is your prompting list, courtesy Movies Film & Flix: http://moviesfilmsandflix.com/2015/08/1 ... t-century/

Glaring omissions? There isn't anything that IMMEDIATELY jumps out as missing to me, but I'm sure I could think of something if I mulled it over more.

This definitely wouldn't be my order, but I don't find it offensive.

Also, how many have played the Marathon? I counted five, but was unsure about Shaun or The Ring.

If you could pick one movie from that list to screen at the Marathon, what would it be? I would probably pick The Descent. It was an intense viewing experience alone in a theater. I'd be interested to experience it with a group.

h/t to worldsfinest for sending this to me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:28 pm 

Per the Hall of Marathonia, the following have played the marathons:

Session 9 (Nightmare at Studio 35, 2001)
House of the Devil (Shock Around the Clock, 2011)
Martyrs (Shock Around the Clock, 2010)
Let the Right One In (Incredible Two Headed Marathon, 2008)
28 Days Later (24-Hr OH Sci Fi Marathon, 2004)
Cabin in the Woods (Shock Around the Clock, 2013)

So, no Shaun of the Dead or The Ring, but I'd be happy to see either play!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:53 pm 

agentstinky wrote:
Per the Hall of Marathonia, the following have played the marathons:

Session 9 (Nightmare at Studio 35, 2001)
House of the Devil (Shock Around the Clock, 2011)
Martyrs (Shock Around the Clock, 2010)
Let the Right One In (Incredible Two Headed Marathon, 2008)
28 Days Later (24-Hr OH Sci Fi Marathon, 2004)
Cabin in the Woods (Shock Around the Clock, 2013)

So, no Shaun of the Dead or The Ring, but I'd be happy to see either play!

ahhh, I neglected to think of Sci-Fi and thus miscounted.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:21 pm 

Them and The Machinist are two I think were missed...personally, I'd remove The Devils Rejects and Martyrs. I'd put Paranormal Activity and House of the Devil higher and Cabin and The Descent lower. Let the Right One In is my clear number 1. I would like to see The Descent and Trick r' Treat at a thon as I think they'd play pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:26 pm 

I found The Devil's Rejects to be incredibly disturbing. Brilliantly made too. Definitely worthy of inclusion on that list.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:40 pm 

Well I have posted several times I feel that these 4 are way over rated:

Let the Right One In
It Follows
The Babadook
Martyrs

I'm totally agree with:

Session 9
Cabin in the woods
Trick 'r Treat
House of the Devil
Conjuring
Devil's Rejects

Personally I think "You're Next" should have been on the list.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:05 pm 

I strongly disagree with what the author in that article said about almost feeling sorry for the villains being shot to death in The Devil's Rejects. At no point in the movie did I ever, ever feel "sorry" for what these scumbags got. I never forgot that they were evil to the core and truly deserved every single bad thing they got. The movie made it seem like they were "good guys". ????? I didn't feel sorry for Freddy Krueger being burned alive, or Chucky being shot in that toy store, or Jason Voorhees dying the billion times he "died" through out the Friday The 13th movies, and I certainly do not give a wink about some psychotic killers being taken down in a hail of gunfire.

An interesting observation: In Let the Right One In, the boy is a blonde and the girl is a brunette, and in the remake, it is reversed. Pointless banter but something I thought I'd mention. I thought the remake was VERY faithful to the original. I love It Follows, The Babadook and Martyrs, all for different reasons. It's a funny thing about fear: Everyone has it, but each person has their own perception of what is scary.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:29 am 

Not to start an argument here, just saying...

I think Zombie definitely wants us to feel for the Firefly clan's demise. Yes, they are evil, murderous scumbags, there is no doubt about that. They are not "good guys". But the way the scene is shot, plus the use of the soaring classic-rock staple "Freebird" ("And this bird you cannot change...") to accompany their being gunned down by the cops Bonnie and Clyde style, signals that we're supposed to care. Whether you do or not is up to you, of course. I never forgot who they were and what they did, but it was difficult to watch any human beings killed in such a merciless fashion. That's the contradiction that makes the scene work. Zombie wants us to ask who the real killers are. That's just who he is as a filmmaker, and part of what makes The Devil's Rejects his most powerful film. It's a bit more complicated than your average Jason or Chucky movie. You're not supposed to root for them, but you can still feel a bit sickened when they get what they undoubtedly deserve.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:19 am 

One thing I enjoyed about The Devil's Rejects is that the beautiful Elizabeth Daily is in it. She is in another Horror film called "One Dark Night" that you all should DEFINITELY see, and one that I hope screens at a future Horror thon. I actually do kind of root for Michael Myers in Rob Zombie's Halloween. A lot of the people Michael killed deserved it, such as the school bully, his wicked stepfather, those two rapists, etc. I like how Rob Zombie lended a little sympathy to Michael Myers and said "This is why he became who he is". It had a lot of backstory.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:36 am 

I am ashamed to admit I have not seen The Devil's Rejects or any other Rob Zombie horror movie, with the exception of marathon entry Lords of Salem. None of his movies seemed very appealing to me, but when forced to watch Salem, I liked it way more than I thought I would, so I suppose I'm well overdue to check more of his stuff out.

Housebound or You're Next would have made my personal list now that I think about it.

From that list, I also have not seen Rec or The Conjuring, but am up to date on everything else.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:46 am 

The more I think about You're Next, the more I feel like I'd put it on my list.

I'm probably on an island but, aside from Salem (which I thought was ok) I really dislike all of Rob Zombies movies. I understand his take and his direction, I just don't think the execution is done well and really, I thought the acting in The Devils Rejects was pretty terrible. I guess, the whole White Trash take on all his movies really resonates with me and I don't find it that appealing because I grew on the South End of Columbus, which is arguably the epicenter of White Trash (per capita next to the state of New jersey) in America! haha

All the Rob Zombie lovers...I'm your dart board...have at it! haha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:17 am 

You have the right to your opinion. Lots of people don't like Zombie's movies.

I would mention, though, that the White Trash people in his movies really aren't supposed to be "appealing". The whole point is that they're not. They simply add to the sleazy, exploitative vibe of his work more than anything. They are reminiscent of 70's films in which characters didn't have to be "likable". You're not supposed to root for the Firefly clan - the whole point is to see just how evil and vile they can be. If someone doesn't like White Trash, they should appreciate Zombie's movies even more because of how they are portrayed. They are not shown in a positive light.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:09 am 

WolfNC17 wrote:
You're not supposed to root for the Firefly clan - the whole point is to see just how evil and vile they can be. If someone doesn't like White Trash, they should appreciate Zombie's movies even more because of how they are portrayed. They are not shown in a positive light.

Well then I think Rob Zombie failed miserably if that was his intention, especially given the ending. Everytime I see "Firefly clan", I'm reminded of a certain television show starring Nathan Fillion that is far more appealing to me than THIS mess of a movie. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:53 am 

WolfNC17 wrote:

I would mention, though, that the White Trash people in his movies really aren't supposed to be "appealing". The whole point is that they're not. They simply add to the sleazy, exploitative vibe of his work more than anything. They are reminiscent of 70's films in which characters didn't have to be "likable". You're not supposed to root for the Firefly clan - the whole point is to see just how evil and vile they can be. If someone doesn't like White Trash, they should appreciate Zombie's movies even more because of how they are portrayed. They are not shown in a positive light.

Oh, trust me I don't because it's just more than the WT aspect that goes into my dislike of Rob Zombie movies (I love him as a musician). There's a laundry list of things I dislike about his movies and the WT portrayal is just small piece of much larger pie. I certainly don't want to ruffle the feathers of the RZ lovers on this site because I would be vastly outnumbered and get responses as, "I'm don't know what I'm talking about", "You're stupid", yada, yada, yada...I'll just leave it as, RZ is just not my cup of tea.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:23 pm 

Worldsfinest wrote:
WolfNC17 wrote:

Oh, trust me I don't because it's just more than the WT aspect that goes into my dislike of Rob Zombie movies (I love him as a musician). There's a laundry list of things I dislike about his movies and the WT portrayal is just small piece of much larger pie. I certainly don't want to ruffle the feathers of the RZ lovers on this site because I would be vastly outnumbered and get responses as, "I'm don't know what I'm talking about", "You're stupid", yada, yada, yada...I'll just leave it as, RZ is just not my cup of tea.

I would never attack you for not liking Rob Zombie movies. There is no such thing as a right or wrong opinion. An opinion is merely a person's interpretation of something. I love Rob Zombie's music, music videos and the fact that he is a HUUUUGE Horror film collector! I have seen nearly every film he has directed, and even managed to catch an episode of some police show he directed on TV. I just don't like every single one of his choices as a director (like how he chose to end Halloween 2). :x