The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

It's here! The apocalypse of fright that is SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK, the 7th Annual Ohio 24-Hour Horror Marathon (Noon October 17-Noon October 18 at the Drexel Theater)! And after much waiting, here's the almost complete lineup for this year's Marathon:

-The COLUMBUS PREMIERE (and, depending on how things shake out, possibly the Ohio Premiere) of DEATHGASM, the highly anticipated, relentlessly gory, heavy metal horror comedy from New Zealand!

-The OHIO PREMIERE of GERMAN ANGST, a trangressive triptych of Deutschland horrors from Michal Kosakowski, Andreas Marschall, and the infamous Jorg (NEKROMANTIK) Buttgereit!

-George A. Romero's seminal zombies in a shopping mall gore classic DAWN OF THE DEAD!

-In preparation for the series' return to Showtime, a rare screening of David Lynch's surreal modern horror nightmare TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME!

-USC's '70s student short film compendium SHOCK VALUE: THE MOVIE!

-A rare 35mm screening of Michael Mann's nazi zombie opus THE KEEP!

-A rare 35mm screening of the late '50s rodent rampage schlocker THE KILLER SHREWS!

-A tribute to Christopher Lee with his personal favorite THE DEVIL RIDES OUT (aka THE DEVIL'S BRIDE)!

-A rare 35mm screening of Lucio Fulci's strange and gory THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY!

-The NEW 2K RESTORATION DCP of Udo Kier in Polish master Walerian Borowczyk's erotic, nightmarish THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. JEKYLL AND MISS OSBOURNE!

-Tom Atkins and his mustache do battle with alien slugs in NIGHT OF THE CREEPS!

-A return screening of IT FOLLOWS, 2015's most critically acclaimed horror film!

...and we're currently pursuing one additional premiere to finish out the lineup.

Tickets for SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK go on sale TOMORROW at the Drexel Theatre (2254. E. Main St./cash or charge), Laughing Ogre Comics (4258 N. High St./cash only) or via PayPal at this website. Advance tix are $40, with a bump to $45 the day of show (if there are any left.) Reserve your place now for what promises to be one HELL of a good time!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:27 pm 

Excellent, exciting news. Not that I had any doubts, but the reality is even better than I was imagining. I've enjoyed the last few years, but both were fairly heavy with movies I'd seen before. Good ones still, but a lot of things I was familiar with.

This year I've only seen three and even of those three, it's been a while since I've seen two -- Dawn, Creeps -- and both are stone-cold classics that I've never seen on the big screen, so it's all aces there. It Follows is the other I've seen and though I have some reservations about it, I think it's going to play very well with this crowd.

Now on to the guess the schedule game!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:41 pm 

Looks like a good lineup.

not worldsfinest wrote:
Now on to the guess the schedule game!

The big question is: where do you play Twin Peaks? You can't play that at 10am, or 4am. That would just destroy people.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:19 pm 

As usual, you do not disappoint. Can't wait!

If we are counting DAWN OF THE DEAD as the first "official" appearance, this is a 100% original lineup with no repeats from previous Marathons. How about that.
There doesn't appear to be an obvious choice to end on, so by default this will probably be it, although I know Joe would love to show it in primetime like it was in it's previous "unofficial" appearances.

I am assuming IT FOLLOWS will be a DCP, but will all the other movies without a specified advertised format be shown from a Blu-Ray? I've grown to accept that this is the way it is going to be, so it is no big deal, I'm just curious.

The run time appears to be pretty short for most of these except TWIN PEAKS. Is there another classic waiting in the wings in case you can't secure a decent premiere? I don't mean to imply that 10 movies (well, 9 and a half counting THE KILLER SHREWS) and an amateur shorts collection isn't good enough. I'm just sayin'...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

As has been the case with the past few Marathons, a few of these films aren't available (or readily accessible) on 35mm or 2K DCP (THE DEVIL RIDES OUT is the big example here.) But as with our screenings of DELICATESSAN (SF31) and TENEBRE (SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK 2014), we've managed to work wonders with converting a high-quality blu-ray image to DCP. More and more, it kinda comes down to whether we want to show certain titles or wait for them to become available in decent 35mm or 2K DCP copies (which sometimes may never materialize.) But all the non-film titles will be projected from high quality DCP; DR. JEKYLL, in particular, is Arrow Films' brand new 2K DCP.

And it's still somewhat early in the process, but unless something radically changes, TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME will be screening sometime Saturday evening. 'Cause yes, much later than that might be problematic. And we want to give the rabid PEAKS freaks (yours truly included) the best environment in which to watch it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:50 pm 

Good lineup.

THE DEVIL RIDES OUT is one of the very best Hammer horrors. KILLER SHREWS should be fun as well as NIGHT OF THE CREEPS (played the Boston sci-fi recently). THE KEEP is krap, but Mann on the big screen provides eye candy if nothing else. And, TWIN PEAKS should definitely run at 4am! No joke. Perfect time for that kind of surrealism.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:05 pm 

YAY!!! Dawn of the Dead! The eternal question(s) - Director’s cut or Theatrical and is it film or video. I’ve never heard of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne, but the trailer looks AWESOME!!! Nice find!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

Theatrical cut! On DCP!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:03 am 

L.A. Connection wrote:
And, TWIN PEAKS should definitely run at 4am! No joke. Perfect time for that kind of surrealism.

Maybe it's selfish, but I cast my vote for NOT at 4 AM...I actually want to see it, and not all of us are as good at staying awake as L.A. Connection.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:28 am 

Very excited for this lineup...Aside from Dawn of the Dead and Night of the Creeps, everything else will be a new experience for me. I've been holding out on It Follows in hopes that it would show at the Thon and my gamble paid off. The House By The Cemetery looks like classic Fulci...As always, great job Joe an Bruce!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:42 am 

I have only seen Night of the Creeps & Dawn of the Dead (just watched the theatrical & directors cut the other night), not knowing it would make the lineup. Creeps is one of my all time favorites as well. Not a fan of Twin Peaks, but I will give it a whirl & try to stay awake through it all. Maybe it will make me want to go watch the series. Excited for Deathgasm, looks like a riot to watch on the big screen with all the horror junkies similar to You're Next. :)

I have heard of a few of the others, It Follows, The Keep, House by The Cemetery but never seen them. The others are all new to me as well.

Reminds me of my first 'thon, the 2012 Shock Around the Clock at the Grandview. I had only seen Something Wicked This Way Comes, Dead Alive, An American Werewolf in London & Videodrome (which I had seen on MGMHD channel a few months before). I remembered Wicked from my youth & loved it & American Werewolf was one of the first R rated horror films I had ever seen when I was younger & one of my all time favorites. I loved Phantom of The Paradise, Kill List & The Last Circus. Possession was a little too crazy for me, but it was ok. :)

Hoping this year I can gain a few new favorites from the many I haven't seen.

Come on October!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:50 am 

I am the latest victim in the Disappearing Posts Mystery.....Lets Try this again

I am very excited for this line-up, any movie event that includes NIGHT OF THE CREEPS can't go wrong. If I had to find 1 flaw in it I would say that 3 movies that are less than a year old might be 1 to many, I certainly wouldn't be upset to see IT FOLLOWS drop off the list and a classic Wes Craven film added to the line-up, something that has never shown at the marathon before like SHOCKER, DEADLY FRIEND or PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS. I now have 2 months to binge watch all 30 episodes of Twin Peaks so I can experience FIRE WALK WITH ME in all it's 35MM Glory.

THE KILLER SHREWS (1959)
THE DEVIL RIDES OUT (1968)
DAWN OF THE DEAD (1978)
THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY (1981)
THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. JEKYLL AND MISS OSBOURNE (1981)
THE KEEP (1983)
NIGHT OF THE CREEPS (1986)
TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME (1992)
SHOCK VALUE: THE MOVIE (2014)
IT FOLLOWS (2014)
DEATHGASM (2015)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:24 pm 

I wouldn't mind seeing Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me drop and get replaced with a Wes Craven film like Deadly Friend or Shocker. Either one of those would be EXCELLENT!!! So sad about Wes Craven :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:56 pm 

This Line up is Hulk strong! My excitement is over 9,000!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:55 pm 

As I always do, I made a playlist of the trailers for all the movies in the lineup: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGwyiA9f6MeWL8aWY4oPJR9Vk7dMpXKI9

I'll add the 12th movie if and when it's confirmed.