The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:00 am 

geekzapoppin wrote:
I'm going to have to go with IRREVERSIBLE. God bless Stuart Gordon's demented soul for requesting the screening. It was more of an out-of-body experience than a viewing. During the infamous tunnel scene, I kept thinking to myself, "Surely, this can't go on for much longer." Hoo boy, was I wrong. It's a film that I don't think I can ever watch again; partly because it's so depressing and brutal and partly because I know I'll never be able to duplicate the visceral experience of that Marathon screening.

I agree. That was one of favorite marathons and sitting on a folding chair in a theater looking like a bomb had gone off inside was surreal enough to put me off guard. Plus The Great Americans were keeping things running by the seat of their pants but got the job done. Only downer was the final reel of THE BLACK CAT (one of my favorite movies) being spliced upside down ruining the entire mood :evil: then taking what seemed like an hour to get things fixed. All things considered it was amazing the event went as smoothly has it did.
Loved Stuart Gordon's being there. Such a nice man who makes unique movies I love.Then came IRREVERSIBLE.Was hurting like sin from hours in a folding chair (am disabled) so was easy prey for a unique experience. The narrative being told in reverse was interesting and the violence didn't bother me until the tunnel scene :shock: Used to think the 'home invasion' sequence from HENRY was the most unbearable experience I'd ever had in a theater until this. Seemed like it would never end and made me wonder just because a movie maker can show something should they. After it was over I was devastated.
Meeting S.G. in the lobby after I shook hands and got an autograph. Thanked him for bringing the movie while thinking how much I wished he would stick those film cans up his ass. Later on thought I'd made a mistake being polite and he would have gotten a kick out of the stick them comment so he knew the movie had the desired effect. I tried to watch it again at home and it was nowhere near as effective as in The Grandview with a packed house. Never attended another Marathon with such a mood of despair as that one. Remember Gordon looking around and saying it was the perfect place for a Horror Marathon.