The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:49 am 

So, many of you probably realize that once again the Columbus Marathon is going to be occurring at the same time as our beloved Horror event.

What some of you may know is that I'll be missing our Marathon because my wife and I will be running the Half-Marathon road race.

The race starts at 7:30. My projected time that I should get to the Drexel would be around 8:30-9:00. If anyone feels like popping out of the films to stand and wave - or to offer me a bag of Sour Patch kids as race fuel - I'd love to see you!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:31 pm 

Awesome! I remember the same thing happening last year. I went outside during a break between movies and a bunch of people were running by...it was funny and kinda surreal to see a meeting of two marathons.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:33 pm 

Nice! Do we just yell, "Go AEinhorn!" Then hand you a steaming cup of hot coffee?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:51 pm 

Well, my name is "Aaron", so you can go with that.

I haven't settled on my running gear for the day yet, but it is almost certainly going to be either a Captain America shirt, or a runDisney shirt (in grey).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:34 am 

So, with that in mind, where is a good place to park? I'm from out of town and haven't been to the Horror-thon in a few years, so I don't remember much about Bexley. Any advice would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:58 am 

geekzapoppin wrote:
So, with that in mind, where is a good place to park? I'm from out of town and haven't been to the Horror-thon in a few years, so I don't remember much about Bexley. Any advice would be appreciated.

From the FAQ on HorrorMarathon.com:

8. Where can I park for the Marathon, especially if I'm going to stay for the entire time?
Theatre parking is available at all-times in the parking lot behind the theatre (access from Drexel Ave.); on the north side of E. Main St., both sides of Drexel Ave., and nearby side streets. Additional parking is available at the Bexley Municipal Parking Lot (two driveways west of the theatre) after 5 p.m. weekdays and all-day Saturday, Sunday and holidays. Parking is also available on the south side of E. Main St. between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. and after 6:00 p.m. weekdays and all-day Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. As always, be mindful of the signs and you should be fine! The Drexel Theatre is located at 2254 E. Main St., Columbus, Ohio between Drexel Ave. and College Ave. (in the heart of Bexley directly across from Capital University).

Now, I'm not sure when this page was last updated, and I don't live in Columbus, but as far as I know this is all still true. If all else fails there should definitely be plenty of parking on the quiet side streets within short walking distance of the theatre.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:17 am 

So, the important caveat to what is written is that the running Marathon is going to require that Drexel Avenue and Main Street in front of the theatre be cleared. So, you'll be able to park there on Saturday, but you'll probably have to move your car overnight if you park on Drexel Ave or Main Street.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:32 am 

AEinhorn wrote:
So, the important caveat to what is written is that the running Marathon is going to require that Drexel Avenue and Main Street in front of the theatre be cleared. So, you'll be able to park there on Saturday, but you'll probably have to move your car overnight if you park on Drexel Ave or Main Street.

Oh right, duh, the running Marathon. Sorry, forgot which thread I was posting in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:49 am 

I was super paranoid last year when I parked because no one had a clear answer as to whether the signs they put out were relevant to the entire street or only the spaces they were next to. I played it safe and moved anyway at about 5am and I'm glad I did. I believe several people were towed shortly after. That would not have been pleasant to deal with. :shock:

So to clarify the entire street MUST be clear of cars where the signs are posted.

And AEinhorn, good luck with the running thon!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:58 pm 

I just wanted to send a shout-out to everyone who helped record the cheer on Motigo that Kevin sent to me. Hearing the crowd of the 'thon urge me on at Mile 6 was fantastic. I was tempted to stop and come in when I passed the Drexel, but that was only mile 5, and I still had 8 to go.

I did get the cheer though, and I spent the first hour of the race listening to Kevin and Joe on the Marathon Chat podcast.

Thank you all for the support. And for the record, I finished in 2:46:54, which is a Personal Record for me for a Half Marathon by almost 15 minutes.