The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

EDIT: OK ... here's the take from my genuinely twisted psyche:

Definitely think this was a great marathon year. I don't really have a lot to say on it, I thought the films, the Drexel staff, the audience ... all of it was top notch. I have absolutely no complaints. If there's anything I'd improve, it's that we can get even more people to come to these events.

Quick thoughts on the films:

THE KEEP: I really want this to be a better movie than it is. It's got such potential, and a lot going for it but it just falls short in so many areas. Still, many people have tried to disown this film over the years, and it deserved a second look. It plays so infrequently I'm glad we were able to get it booked into the lineup.

IT FOLLOWS: I think this film had an excellent execution, personally. I liked the lurking sense of paranoia, I liked the lack of a clear ending, I think it ends up doing exactly what it set out to do, and I feel it does it well. I'd held off on seeing it until now but I can completely see where people are coming from regarding the soundtrack, the staging, and the general atmosphere the film builds. I was definitely not disappointed.

SHOCK VALUE: THE MOVIE: Dan O'Bannon without a mustache. Now I've seen everything! (Seriously, enjoyed it - one of the rare opportunities to see a unique piece of history in a theater with an audience.)

TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME: Been waiting for years for this to show up in the lineup. Did not disappoint. Hope everyone enjoyed the pre-show teaser. ;)

DEATHGASM: Hands-down winner of the marathon, but didn't really expect anything less. Immediately hit the must-buy list. Brotherhood of Steel!

GERMAN ANGST: My overall thought is ... I liked it. The first segment is actually pretty interesting as an exploration of human (and guinea pig) psychology. The second segment didn't resonate with me much, despite the historical parallels, but the third segment really came back around and sold it for me. I think it was well worth booking.

DAWN OF THE DEAD: All time classic, and the last film I was able to stay awake for (which was a shame, because I'd intended to try and catch a few winks here.) Certainly didn't disappoint in either case.

THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. JEKYLL AND MISS OSBOURNE: From here out I only caught about half (or less) of the movies because I was just totally fading out. My memories of this film involve lots of thrashing around in a tub and a very vivid sight of a 36cm penis. Pretty sure I missed SOMETHING in-between. Disappointing, too, because I really wanted to stay awake for this one. I'll have to revisit it on video somewhere when I get the chance.

HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY: Not a huge Fulci film and honestly I find his films to be so similar that I'm almost never surprised by them. In and out through most of it, I at least caught the ending. Don't think I would have changed my opinion had I seen the rest.

THE DEVIL RIDES OUT: This was the other film I really wanted to see and I was out for the first half. I will say that once I caught back up in the second half I was pretty impressed. There's something about this compared to the usual Hammer cheese that really sets it apart. Maybe it's the more serious tone with the subject matter, or perhaps it stems from Lee in the protagonist spot. His performance really makes all the difference. Plus hey, Peter Swanwick! Orange alert!

By now, realizing I'd slept through half of the previous three films, I decided to bug out. Just getting too old, I guess, but I've seen both KILLER SHREWS and NIGHT OF THE CREEPS and while I enjoy the cheese factor of both, half-watching them didn't hold much appeal.

As always, thanks to everyone involved. Hope everyone enjoyed the festivities and really hope everyone can spread the word to their friends and loved ones.

FOOTNOTE: The marathon was brutal, man. Brutal as f*$&! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:58 am 

Good time as always, a few quick thoughts:

The food selection was good this year. Among other things, I bought a single slice of pizza, which worked just fine at 11 or midnight or whenever I did it. There's no way I would have wanted a whole pizza.

For me, this was a bit of a "slow" marathon overall. There seemed to be a smaller number of hands than usual that popped up when Joe asked who has stayed awake the whole time at the end. I didn't see more than 5 or 6 people raise their hands. I did okay until about 6 am, and then I slept through about 30-40 minutes of House By the Cemetary. I made it through almost the first half of The Devil Rides Out, but there was just nothing there to keep me awake. And then I pretty much missed all of Killer Shrews. But at least I was 100% awake again for Night of the Creeps, and then to start the drive home to Toledo. (Before I took a nap in the Meijer parking lot up in Marion.)

So I'm curious if other people agree with me that this was a rough lineup. At least from a staying awake standpoint. I didn't mention it above, but The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Miss Osbourne is probably the one that really started causing struggles for folks. It reminded me a bit of The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears, with cuts to various weird shit going on on different floors of this one building.

I'll try ranking the movies from favorite to least favorite:

Deathgasm - was probably the highlight of the marathon. Lots of fun stuff, and fun was desperately needed in this marathon. Hindsight being 20/20 and all, I really wish the marathon could have shown What We Do In The Shadows (though I'm not sure if it was even available, so this is just a What If) as I think this marathon could have used a lot more laughs and fun. Deathgasm may not have been the best movie of the marathon (if I sit down and give an independent grade to each individual movie a few months from now, Deathgasm may not even make the top 5), but boy it was desperately needed last night.

It Follows - Beautiful paranoia. Funny that I have this at #2, even though I've pretty much got it at my #1 horror film of the century right now. It's not #1 in this post simply because I've already seen it a couple times this year, and Deathgasm delivered what was desperately needed at the marathon last night. But of course, an absolute genius movie. I've seen that opening scene like 4 times now, and I just love it so much. It seems so odd the first time you see it, but then it all makes perfect sense by the end of the movie, and obviously upon successive viewings.

Dawn of the Dead - I've only seen this 2 or 3 times previously, so it was great to see it again. An all-time classic, so incredibly influential.

Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me - I was a fan back in the day, but haven't watched much of anything from is this century. So it was nice to get back into that world again, and see so many of those characters. The movie may not be perfect, but it fits David Lynch perfectly. It's all you could ask for from a David Lynch movie.

Night of the Creeps - Fun, simple little way to end it. I had just seen it a again a few years ago, but it was a nice friendly little way to end.

House By the Cemetery - Sadly, I missed at least half an hour of this movie, but of the parts that I saw, I really liked it. I found it to be very creepy, and probably the scariest movie we watched of the whole marathon. I'm going to have to see if I can dig it up and watch it in full. Anyone know if it's on netflix, etc?

German Angst - I liked this movie, and I'd say that I liked all three segments, but it just didn't quite click. All three seemed to feature at least a bit of a "what really happened" question or revelation. And I freely admit that I may be confused as to what exactly happened in the first segment (the guinea pig one). Was that all in her head, or did she really do it? The second segment had a nice little parallel between ww2 and the modern day, with the stories apparently having the same outcome too. Third segment: Dude, next time look a little harder for Snow White. You would have been perfectly happy with a 1-night hookup with her, or even a 3-month relationship. No need to go full crazy.

The Keep - Never seen this one before, so I was glad to get the chance early on. I liked it. Nice soundtrack. Not sure it should have opened, but it might have been a terrible choice at 4am or 6am, so I'm not sure I could suggest anything better. Weird seeing Magneto/Gandalf change ages, while picturing in my head what he really looks like today.

Shock Value The Movie - I liked this enough, and honestly the idea behind the movie is pretty damn appropriate for a horror movie marathon, but I'm not sure it worked that well. The John Carpenter voyeur one was almost all comedy. The babysitter one was obviously an idea that was worth repeating. In the end though, these were probably a bit too unpolished. Though I'm glad it was shown. Worthy.

The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Miss Osbourne - All the French and old London stuff was tough for me to get into. The characters were tough. (Were the general and his daughter supposed to be comedy characters?)

The Devil Rides Out - I made it through the first half hour or first half, and it seemed nice enough. I liked it. But it had nothing to keep me awake. Maybe I'll get a chance again some day. I wouldn't mind trying to make it through again. For the folks who watched it, did it pick up in the middle and at the end?

The Killer Shrews - I saw almost nothing of this. Was it any good?

Thumbs up for the organization and the staff. The hot dogs and pizza I had were good and warm when I had them. Give me a day or two to sleep, and I'll be looking forward to next March.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:32 am 

Another great event held by Joe and Bruce. You guys put on a great show and if I haven’t said it enough before, thank you for all you do! I really enjoyed a few slices of pizza and the late Castle run was a nice. new touch. I wanted to jump into the White Castle fray but I didn’t want to do that to others sitting around me! This was probably my best Thon performance since I started attending back in 2004. I made it through 9.5 movies, sleeping though 1 and completely dipping out of another. Here’s my take based on the order in which they were shown:

1. The Keep – Weird, atmospheric and a lot of it didn’t make sense…that’s probably why I liked it. Very disappointed there weren’t more, if any, Gandalf jokes.
2. It Follows – had a really tough time enjoying this. Great idea but executed poorly, in my opinion. I felt that, midway through the director changed the rules on the entity. Then, about three quarters of the way, changed them again. The acting was solid and I couldn’t tell what the time period was…seemed to be a hodge podge of 80’s, 90’s and the present.
3. Shock Value – Pretty good stuff. Really liked the demon
4. Twin Peaks – Left the theater to get dinner. Had no interest in watching this film.
5. Deathgasm - Love it! Funny, sort of a different take on Demons. Is it me or is New Zealand cornering the market on Horror Comedy?
6. German Angst – I think I’ve become pretty numb to anything shocking at this point. I agree with the above poster regarding the segments. However, the 2nd segment with the deaf couple and its ending, really put me off…In fact, I hated the second segment. The 3rd segment…seriously dude, you seemed to give up pretty fast!
7. Dawn of the Dead – I’ve seen this several times. This was my moment to catch some Z’s.
8. The Strange Case – only watched half of the movie what I saw was just ok. Very slow and that’s probably why I fell asleep.
9. The House by the Cemetery – another weird one by Fulci. I love weird and unexplainable which is probably why I’m on an island for liking this! Plus the ending made no sense at all…more reason I like it.
10. The Devil Rides Out – a lot of moments I didn’t understand but very good nonetheless. Weird seeing Christopher Lee as a protagonist. Got pretty preachy too
11. The Killer Shrews – Nothing great, nothing terrible just cheesy and enjoyable!
12. Night of the Creeps – Great way to end the Thon but lets be real, in no way should Jason Lively ever be a hero. Can we get Teen Witch next year just to round out a Lively experience?

I do agree that, I feel the last few years have gone a little slower in pacing and spreading out the slow burns with the schticky, cheese. Over all it wasn’t bad just that stretch from 6-10 was pretty tough. In any event, thanks again and I’m already counting down the days to next year. Although, next for me may be a bit of a challenge because in January I’ll be welcoming my first kid into the world. At that point I’ll have a 9 month old and my chance to get away for 24 hours may end up only being 12 hours. Thanks again Joe, Bruce, the staff of the Drexel and all the volunteers. See you next year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:01 am 

Scheduled today off from work so I'll go ahead and post a quick recap.

First off I'm usually always astonished at the presentation on the front end each time I walk into the theater for one of these events. I know Joe said at one point the decorating team was a little short handed this year but I don't think it showed at all. Whoever makes the life size posters that go up in the lobby deserves a big hand, they do an outstanding job every year. I saw 6 or 7 people taking selfies in front of the giant from Twin Peaks. The canvas of the log lady was also outstanding.

I'll also agree that the food selection this year was good. I missed out back in March when we had the opportunity to order crepes so I was happy to see that option returned this fall. The ham and cheese crepe I got was good, as was the hot dog I got later on in the event. I really liked the idea of having two colors of t-shirts this year. The purple seemed to sell out pretty fast.

As for the movies, I'll agree generally with what has already been said. I don't know if I'd label the marathon necessarily as slow for me but I'd definitely label it as challenging. It seemed like it was over before I knew it but I also fell asleep through large portions of The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne as well as House by the Cemetery. Top to bottom, there wasn't a movie I really disliked. But like cleazer said above, I found the schedule fairly challenging in terms of serious dramatic movies back to back to back.

I knew going in that I was going to be blown away by Deathgasm and it certainly did not disappoint. Watching it with the crowd was easily the high point of the marathon for me. Joe and Bruce have had tremendous wins the last three marathons with the premieres they booked. Deathgasm was the movie I left the marathon telling my friends about. I couldn't find one thing not to like about watching it in the marathon setting.

I'll also shout some of the same praise for German Angst. For a second premiere I thought it was outstanding. Going in I was convinced this would be one of the more challenging movies of the event. The trailer didn't sell me on it and I honestly think I just wanted to move on quickly to the next film which was Dawn of the Dead. That said, I'm happy to eat my words and say I enjoyed all three of the stories. Some of the reveals in the stories were a little confusing but from an enjoyment standpoint I was happily surprised in German Angst. The second story with the amulet and the flashbacks to WWII had me from the start and was easily my favorite. The third story had a weird Sin City vibe to me with the narration and I have to say I really enjoyed it too. The first segment was easily the weakest but was at least enjoyable. All in all I'm really glad to say I had the chance to watch this movie.

I was also happily surprised with Shock Value: The Movie. I tend to like movies that involve short segmented stories because if I don't quite care for one another one is only a few minutes away. I didn't quite care for Carpenter's 'Captain Voyeur' but I found the rest decent. 'Judson's Release' was clearly the highlight of the compilation for me, but I got to say I also really enjoyed Dan O'bannon's 'Blood Bath' and 'Good Morning Dan'.

I have never seen Night of the Creeps but after hearing some talk of it before the marathon and seeing that it would close I had decently high expectations walking in the door. It met them for the most part, and was a fitting closing film but the whole time I felt like there was something missing. I can't quite figure out what, and it could be in part to the expectations I had going in but something just wasn't there for me. Really glad I saw it with the marathon crowd, and its definitely on my list of movies to check out again down the road.

As for the rest of the movies, like I said earlier there really wasn't a movie I completely disliked. I could see how Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me could mentioned but as a fan of the show I enjoyed it for the most part. Compared to the show, I found myself having a harder time empathizing with Laura and I think that hurt the movie a little bit. The Devil Rides Out was a lot of fun and seemed to play at the right time. I'll say the same thing The Killer Shrews. For a movie that takes place most of the time in a cabin with dogs covered in carpet I found myself having a lot of fun. Dawn of the Dead was great as always.

I ended up sleeping through large chunks of House by the Cemetery and The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Miss Osbourne so I don't really have much to say about those. What I saw during House by the Cemetery I enjoyed and will revisit later. I'll throw It Follows in this section only because I saw it in theaters when it came out this year and saw it again when my blu-ray copy from Amazon came in the mail. It Follows still is one of my favorite movies of the year but seeing it for the third time in 7 months was a little bit much for me.

Lastly The Keep is near the bottom for me. I appreciate the opportunity to see it but something really didn't click with me. Playing it first was a great decision, any other time I wouldn't have enjoyed it. Being first I was able to carry in all the pre-marathon excitement and battle my way through it and enjoy it to a degree. Best part about showing the movie is that it introduced us to the book. My wife bought a copy down at Acorn Books in Grandview and after watching the film I'm excited to have the opportunity to read the book which I hear is much better.

Again, lots of praise and thanks to Joe, Bruce, the Drexel staff and everyone else that puts in time to bring us the marathon. They're easily my two favorite events of the year and I already find myself looking forward to March. The crowd was great and everyone that sound around us was friendly and very respectful. Cheers again to another great event, see everyone again in March.

cleazer wrote:
House By the Cemetery - ... Anyone know if it's on netflix, etc?

Just did a search and it looks like House by the Cemetery is on Hulu right now. I was able to play the first 5 minutes so I don't think you need a Hulu Plus subscription to watch it but you never know with them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

cleazer wrote:
Third segment: Dude, next time look a little harder for Snow White.

Worldsfinest wrote:
The 3rd segment…seriously dude, you seemed to give up pretty fast!

Since a couple people have mentioned this, I figured I'd point something out which I didn't catch until this time. Pretty sure he thinks Kira is the girl he's looking for. There's a point in the bathroom stall where he refers to her by calling her Snow White. I think his actions make more sense in that context. Or maybe not.

If it's still in question, I can check this evening off the German version. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:10 pm 

I had a blast, yet another amazing marathon! Thanks as always to Bruce, Joe, and everyone else who works so hard to get these off the ground year in and year out!

THE KEEP - Some interesting images and atmosphere, but sound issues and some confusing plot stuff (supposedly the movie was cut by the studio from an original 210 minutes down to 96) made it hard to really enjoy for me. Probably my least favorite of the marathon.

IT FOLLOWS - I've gushed about it elsewhere on this forum, but suffice it to say I love it. I agree that there are places where the plot logic suffers a bit in service of the overarching themes and metaphor, but for me, it's not enough to detract from the film as a piece of art.

SHOCK VALUE: THE MOVIE - I read the book in preparation for the marathon, so it was cool to see some of the shorts I'd read about (BLOOD BATH, JUDSON'S RELEASE) up on the big screen. Although there was nothing that really blew me away cinematically, it was a really cool compilation and I'm glad we had the opportunity to see it. I wonder if maybe some of the people involved in this film could get the budget to do a full-on documentary based on the book?

COSTUME CONTEST - I was the one in the "I JUST WANT A CONSOLATION PRIZE" shirt, and while I actually did fully expect to get booed down in the first round, thanks to everyone who cheered for me, made it so fun and helped me to walk away with a giant novelty check and a box of swag! Thanks to Epic Loot for providing the games and comics, I've already started enjoying them...played a very sleep-deprived game of "Bring Out Yer Dead" last night!

TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME - Wow. I watched the show for the first time last year, but I hadn't seen the movie yet. I thought I had heard that the general consensus among fans at the time of release was negative, so my expectations were low, but I really, really liked it. A little long, maybe, but I thought it was a perfect companion piece to the show. So dark and scary and dreamlike and wonderful.

DEATHGASM - HEAVY METAL UP YOUR BUTT HOLE. I knew that this would be the perfect movie for this crowd, and this time slot, and it was! If I watched it alone on my TV or phone via VOD, I probably wouldn't have have 1/10th the fun I did watching it with a bunch of laughing, cheering marathoids.

GERMAN ANGST - Missed the beginning of the first segment, and fell asleep halfway through the last segment, so I can really only judge the second. I enjoyed it, but based on the trailer I was expecting it to be more crazy and transgressive. Maybe the other segments were like that, or maybe I'm just desensitized, but nevertheless it wasn't bad.

DAWN OF THE DEAD - I watched it only a couple months ago (before the lineup was announced), so I decided to catch up on my sleep during this one.

THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. JEKYLL AND MISS OSBOURNE - Like SHOCK VALUE, I was glad I got to see it for the rarity/novelty factor, but I wasn't really blown away by it. I guess the point was just to show a version of the JEKYLL/HYDE story where Hyde is extremely depraved in a graphic way, but it didn't feel like the film really existed for any other reason than to fulfill that elevator pitch.

HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY - Some very inventive gore and creepy scares. But who calls a little boy "Bob"?

THE DEVIL RIDES OUT - Enjoyed this one immensely. I especially liked the affably dumb Rex, who basically never figured out what was going on and solved all his problems by punching them, and the extremely British villain, who politely chatted in the sitting room while he enacted his evil plan, then politely excused himself and left when it didn't work.

THE KILLER SHREWS - I had seen it before on MST3K, but it was just as funny and ridiculous without the commentary. As the preceding trailer block proved, there are a lot of films from that era where really nonthreatening animals were supposed to be terrifying. I mean, come on...shrews? Really?

NIGHT OF THE CREEPS - I kind of hate the 80s, and this one was so 80s it hurt. But it was a nice, breezy way to end the marathon, so I was happy for that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:43 pm 

agentstinky wrote:

HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY - Some very inventive gore and creepy scares. But who calls a little boy "Bob"?

Going to check in later today or tomorrow with more detailed thoughts but can't resist chiming in on this. I had the exact same thought the entire movie.

I have never seen or heard of a kid who goes by Bob. Kept making me laugh.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:46 pm 

This was a very fun marathon, but I agree with the unfortunate timing of the string of Jekyll/House/Devil. I had trouble staying awake during all of this. I found Shock Value to be extremely grating---watching student films is tough for me, even when they are done by folks who go on to be grand professionals.

As someone who is a devoted fan of Twin Peaks, having seen the show AND FWWM three times a piece, I'm not sure that this was a good pick for a general marathon population consisting of many folks who have not seen the show.

That said, The Keep, It Follows, Dawn of the Dead, Deathgasm, Night of the Creeps, German Angst and Killer Shrews were all highly enjoyable.

We could just use a little more of the energy that Deathgasm gave us. But, please know that these critiques come from a place of love. I had a blast, and I can't wait until next year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:41 pm 

Thanks to Joe, Bruce, The Drexel staff & all the other behind the scenes folks for putting on another great marathon! This makes my 4th Shock Around the Clock in a row that I have attended. As I always say, I wish I had heard about these sooner, I wouldv'e been coming a long time a go! Always a great time, great people, great movies, great food & love the classic feel of The Drexel itself. The way it sounds, I would have loved "The old Drexel North".

My opinions, critique, general thoughts.....

THE KEEP - It wasn't what I expected & seemed to me at least, a little more on the sci-fi side than horror. Ok flick, but just ok.

IT FOLLOWS - I had heard good & bad about It Follows over the past few months. After watching it for myself, I am going to have to say I am going with the bad crowd that didn't like it. The soundtrack was the best part. Other than that, not that great.

SHOCK VALUE: THE MOVIE - I had never heard of this one & enjoyed The Demon, but the others were pretty boring imo.

TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME - I had only seen a handful of episodes of Twin Peaks back when it originally aired on broadcast TV & couldn't remember much. I liked the vibe of it, but it was one of those shows I never really got into. I enjoyed the SNL bit that was shown beforehand, which I remember watching a few times on SNL re-runs. Mike Meyers nailed the little person dude. Some nice skin & sex scenes & loved that honky tonk-electronica playing when they were in the bar. Sorry, but still not a fan.

DEATHGASM - Best of the 'thon, HANDS DOWN! Agree with others in that movies like this are much better & more fun to watch with a group of marathoids!

GERMAN ANGST - This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Is that too twisted of me to say? It had a few cringe moments, but a little hard to follow & overall a good one.

DAWN OF THE DEAD - One of my all time favorites! What is not to like about George A. Romero's timeless classic? One of the best horror films, EVER.

THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. JEKYLL AND MISS OSBOURNE - I might have stayed awake for this a little easier if it wasn't for having to follow subtitles at 4am. I tried to stay awake, but it was just too slow & wrong time placement. My opinion, foreign or subtitled films would work better if filmed earlier on.

HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY - I had seen this years a go & thought it was the worst of Fulci's films. I still am of that same opinion. Some nice gore shots is about all.

THE DEVIL RIDES OUT - One of my favorites of the night. I had never seen this one & did enjoy it.

THE KILLER SHREWS - Yeah, killer shrews, dogs wearing carpet. Cheesy 50s B&W. Not bad.

NIGHT OF THE CREEPS - One of my favorite 80s horror films. HDNET Movie channel has this on regularly & I have the Blu Ray copy, so I do watch it a few times a year & to me, it never gets old. THRILL ME!

Can't wait til next October!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:54 pm 

agentstinky wrote:
THE KEEP - Some interesting images and atmosphere, but sound issues and some confusing plot stuff (supposedly the movie was cut by the studio from an original 210 minutes down to 96)

210 is a bit hard to believe, but I'll believe that some was cut out. All of a sudden we hear that there are fewer Germans. And we never heard from that caretaker guy again did we?

As for the sound issues, yeah, that made it challenging. Some of the sound effects were super loud, and then some of the dialogue was whispered so quietly that it was impossible to hear. I wonder if that was some sort of technical issue where the sound format of the old film simply didn't work with a more modern sound system.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:13 am 

As Always A Huge Thanks to Bruce, Joe, The Drexel staff and all the other behind the scenes folks for putting on another great marathon!

THE KEEP - I had fun with this movie but the sound issues made it hard to follow, I will have to check this on out again sometime.

IT FOLLOWS - Not a Fan, I wish this and THE DEVIL RIDES OUT would have traded slots so I could have slept thru this.

SHOCK VALUE: THE MOVIE - Interesting to see where the Greats got their start as Horny College Kids.

TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME - I feel the movie lacks the charm of the series but happy I got to see it on the big screen

DEATHGASM - Best film of the Marathon. NO FALSE METAL!! I will own this BluRay very soon!

GERMAN ANGST - This was ok, not great but not bad. Better than many past premiers.

DAWN OF THE DEAD - One of the best horror films ever made. Never gets old.

THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. JEKYLL AND MISS OSBOURNE - Tried real hard to sleep thru this one but couldn't. Spend most of it with my eyes closed and head down but still not asleep.

HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY - I was wide awake for this one, not the best Fulci film but still a good gore fest.

THE DEVIL RIDES OUT - I really really really wanted to be wide awake for this one but again I spend most of it with my eyes closed and head down but still not asleep.

THE KILLER SHREWS - Got my second wind with this fun piece of 50's Cheese. Never seen this one before and had lots of fun with it.

NIGHT OF THE CREEPS - One of my favorite 80's horror films. I have it on Blu-Ray and watch it at-least once a year. Glad to see it on the big Screen and a great way to end the Marathon.....THRILL ME!

Can't wait Until March!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:16 am 

Overall thoughts: Big fan of this lineup from top to bottom. Not sure if there were any homeruns, so to speak, but no duds for me (well, maybe one IMO). Now, not all of the movies were good, but I thought all were interesting. It definitely weighed a little more on the dark and serious side this year, but I thought the schedule navigated that fairly well, especially ending with the lighter one-two punch that it did. The marathons I’ve struggled with tend to be the ones that end with something darker (I bailed on Hellraiser a few years back, for example, as it came at the end of a run of 4-5 fairly bleak and serious movies).
Huge kudos to Joe, Bruce and their team for running a pretty tight ship this year. In my 11 years, the only big complaint I’ve ever had was the struggles to stick to a schedule which led to dropping movies and/or seriously going over time. For several years in a row now, that really hasn’t been an issue and I think this year was the tightest yet.

THE KEEP. I’m a huge Michael Mann fan and this is the one movie of his I’ve never seen so not only getting to see it, but getting it on the big screen was special. Was it good? Not really, but I enjoyed it and have zero regrets. Feels like there is/was/could be a good movie in this story somewhere. Sound issues were covered.

IT FOLLOWS. I won’t recycle my issues with this movie which are on full display in the dedicated movie thread. ‘Thon was my second viewing. I wondered how it would play this time around for me. Frankly, I liked it even less. Looks great. Great idea, but feels more like the director imagined a few “cool” scenes and didn’t bother with the rest of it. The pool climax was even dumber the second time around.

SHOCK VALUE: THE MOVIE. The definition of "interesting, though not really good" for me. Glad to have seen it.

TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME. Watched the show over the past year, but held off on the movie for the marathon. Had a friend say “I wouldn’t call that horror.” Having seen it, I disagree. There were absolute moments of intense, upsetting horror throughout. First half hour did capture that humorous/odd wavelength the show could operate on but after that it was consistently dark and great.

DEATHGASM. Learned all the right lessons from Peter Jackson and Sam Raimi. Legitimately, consistently funny on top of all the gore. Not just an excuse for gore with some half-assed jokes like so many other imitators in the past 10-15 years.

GERMAN ANGST. Well-made. Makes me want to seek out what else these directors have done. Appropriately unsettling. The second story is probably worth discussion at some point. A lot going on there. The third story was one of the better Lovecraftian horror bits I’ve seen in a while.

DAWN OF THE DEAD. Classic. Nothing much else to be said. First time on the big screen for me.

THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. JEKYLL AND MISS OSBOURNE. I was doing the sleepy head bob for about 20 minutes during this, but otherwise I think I caught most of it. I think. Liked it enough that I’d like to try this guy’s movies when I’m not fighting sleep. Not totally sure I’d like his stuff, but am intrigued and dude is talented.

HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY. I always think I’m down for a Fulci movie then I get into it and I never really like them as much as I think I’m going to. This was no exception

THE DEVIL RIDES OUT. This was a treat. Hammer productions are an area where I am lacking in my horror education. Seen a few but probably not as many as I should. I dug it. Thought the colors really popped on the screen.

KILLER SHREWS. Cheesy fun.

NIGHT OF THE CREEPS. A lot slower build in this than I remember from my youth. A good time and a nice closer given the general heaviness of the lineup overall.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:51 am 

NIGHT OF THE CREEPS - One of my favorite 80s horror films. HDNET Movie channel has this on regularly & I have the Blu Ray copy, so I do watch it a few times a year & to me, it never gets old. THRILL ME!

**I forgot to mention, glad Night of the Creeps shown with the director's cut. The original ending....
Spoiler: show
shows the dog that caused the bus to crash, show up on the sidewalk after the sorority had exploded. Cynthia Cronenberg sees the dog, bends down to pet it & then it shoots a worm into her mouth, roll credits.

I much prefer the director's cut alternate ending showing Detective Cameron as a zombie ending with his head exploding by the cemetery & the alien ship trying to locate their lost cargo.

Also, a bit of trivia for those that didn't know:

The director Fred Dekker talks on the special features on the Blu Ray about his homage that he gave to great horror directors as the last names of characters in Night of the Creeps & the University.

Chris ROMERO
Cynthia CRONENBERG
James CARPENTER "J.C." HOOPER
Detective Ray CAMERON
Detective LANDIS
Sgt. RAIMI
Mr. MINER (the custodian, "screaming like banshees")
CORMAN University

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

THRILL ME!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:07 pm 

Farva wrote:

**I forgot to mention, glad Night of the Creeps shown with the director's cut. The original ending....
shows the dog that caused the bus to crash, show up on the sidewalk after the sorority had exploded. Cynthia Cronenberg sees the dog, bends down to pet it & then it shoots a worm into her mouth, roll credits.

I much prefer the director's cut alternate ending showing Detective Cameron as a zombie ending with his head exploding by the cemetery & the alien ship trying to locate their lost cargo.

I totally agree, they can make part 2 and pick up right there as hundreds of Zombies rise from the grave.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:30 pm 

Ghost wrote:
Farva wrote:

I totally agree, they can make part 2 and pick up right there as hundreds of Zombies rise from the grave.

That would be sweet!