The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:03 pm 

You do realize that not eventually revealing the title that was dropped is going to drive everyone on this forum even more bonkers than wracking our brains for a few days before the ultimate satisfaction of fining out how completely wrong we were in two short days?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:18 pm 

But hey, I get it.

Say you booked a movie I love, like for the sake of argument, John Carpenter's The Thing, and instead a "cool premiere" bumps it. Premieres are always a crap shoot, even if said premiere comes with a heightened pedigree and/or expectation. There's always a possibility of the "cool premiere" not living up to its potential (*cough *cough high rise *cough *cough).

You don't want people bitching about logical decisions. We had enough of that in the past and it's gone now (although sadly still trolling Facebook from what I hear. I wouldn't know because I blocked him 8) )

Perhaps shoot me a PM for my own sanity? Because I, sadly, will not be able to join you in October.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

Heh heh....it's funny, I mentioned the substitution to someone yesterday and they specifically asked if we were bumping Carpenter's THE THING. Rest assured: while the film we bumped is fun, it's certainly not THAT highly regarded. And the premiere has enough buzz going for it that it should be a draw for some. And hey, debate over quality aside, HIGH-RISE ended up being one of our major selling points for SF33; we had more far-reaching coverage for it than most of the other films. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:49 pm 

I understand. I wasn't questioning the decision to book HIGH RISE. It was a fantastic get and I'm positive it boosted sales.

It was merely a huge disappointment for me artistically (as it was for most of America as well, judging from the quickly plumetting buzz shortly thereafter).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Not to divert this into a HIGH-RISE discussion (although hey, what else do we have to do until the lineup drops tomorrow), but I saw it a second time a month or so after the Marathon and really appreciated the overall design and atmosphere even more. It was never going to be a mass acceptance film, and its still-relevant caustic jibes at the excesses of the social hierarchy probably destined it for niche status no matter what. Magnet's cautious release pattern was probably partially motivated by its hard sell status. But that being said, the late Wednesday night show I saw had around 30 college students in attendance. And they seemed to have a good time! No one left early and there was not a hint of heckling.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:18 pm 

My guess for the premiere...TYLER PERRY'S BOO! A MADEA HALLOWEEN

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boo!_A_Madea_Halloween

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:57 pm 

Ghost wrote:
not worldsfinest wrote:

This one and the Nicholson one are the two I just can't shake.

The Nicholson one, my mind immediately went to Targets for several reasons, although I'm not sure if anyone considers that a "great classic," nor is it really horror. Though it does have an iconic actor and is related to Nicholson in a maybe not apparent way! (Plus, also shot down).
I've been trying to come up with tangential ways Nicholson could be related to movies and I'm just stumped.

This could be a Roger Corman and/or Vincent Price film since one of Jack Nicholson's first roles was in THE RAVEN.

New guess:
The Haunted Palace -- Corman, Price, based on Lovecraft. The Terror reused it's sets.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:18 am 

My guess for the new premiere....Rob Zombie's 31.

Please???!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:48 am 
Site Admin

Farva wrote:
My guess for the new premiere....Rob Zombie's 31.

Please???!!

Ohhhh that would be fun. But it's currently scheduled to hit select screenings and the on demand showings in September, almost a month before the Marathon.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:21 am 

I know what the movies are.

Was close on one guess. Kicking myself over a few others.
Good lineup. Gonna be fun.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

For those of you who missed it last night, we'll be rolling out the SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK lineup on Facebook tonight at 7pm EST. In the meantime, the SHOCK-O-RAMA attendees can revel in the secret they all share for now!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:52 am 

Joe Neff wrote:

-An underrated film by an acknowledged genre master that's ripe for reappraisal and should be a lot of fun with this crowd.

-An underrated film by an acknowledged genre master which has subsequently gained more of a cult than the first underrated film by an acknowledged genre master. This one is tons of fun, gleefully flying off the rails at every turn. Should be a blast with the Nightmarathon crowd.

-A NEW DIGITAL RESTORATION of film by a director who might not be a traditional horror auteur, but whose work has gone over quite well at past Marathons.

-A strange (and probably highly enjoyable) film that I've been wanting to play in 35mm for many years.

-A great classic film with an iconic actor that is related to Jack Nicholson (the film, that is) in a way that might not be readily apparent.

That's all for now. See what you can glean between now and next Saturday!

So, for the sake of wrapping this up, are the answers?
1. replaced in lineup.
2. People Under the Stairs?
3. The Devil
4. The Boxer's Omen
5. Tomb of Ligeia (is there more of a connection to Nicholson than him having worked with Corman and Price before?)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

not worldsfinest wrote:
So, for the sake of wrapping this up, are the answers?
1. replaced in lineup.
2. People Under the Stairs?
3. The Devil
4. The Boxer's Omen
5. Tomb of Ligeia (is there more of a connection to Nicholson than him having worked with Corman and Price before?)

Ding ding ding! Go directly to Nightmarathoid grad school! Well done!

The legendary Robert Towne wrote the screenplay for TOMB. He went on to pen the script for Polanski's CHINATOWN, one of Nicholson's finest hours.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:25 am 

It is a fantastic, intriguing lineup as per usual. I am envious I can't make it this year.
Looks like it will be super gory and fun.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have some hat eating to do...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:22 am 

Not sure where to put this question, but figure this is as good a thread as any...

Question for Benevolent Leader:
What is the most requested movie that has not played the marathon?
If the answer is a Friday the 13th movie (or any sequel), what is the most requested non-Friday the 13th movie that has yet to play a marathon? :)

I'll take the answer off air.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next