The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:05 pm 

agentstinky wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:
-A NEW DIGITAL RESTORATION of film by a director who might not be a traditional horror auteur, but whose work has gone over quite well at past Marathons.

If the director isn't a traditional horror auteur, I wonder at which Marathons their work has played? Sci Fi? Rockpocalypse?

My mind was going in this direction too. Very specific wording there. Intentional?

The answer to all 5 questions is Slither.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

not worldsfinest wrote:
agentstinky wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:
-A NEW DIGITAL RESTORATION of film by a director who might not be a traditional horror auteur, but whose work has gone over quite well at past Marathons.

If the director isn't a traditional horror auteur, I wonder at which Marathons their work has played? Sci Fi? Rockpocalypse?

My mind was going in this direction too. Very specific wording there. Intentional?

The answer to all 5 questions is Slither.

Mea culpa: in my haste to get the clues out, I wrote one letter too many. That should read "whose work has gone over quite well at a past Marathon." Singular. Maybe that'll narrow things down.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:53 am 

Joe Neff wrote:

Mea culpa: in my haste to get the clues out, I wrote one letter too many. That should read "whose work has gone over quite well at a past Marathon." Singular. Maybe that'll narrow things down.

Way too easy.
Gaspar Noe's Love. In 3D. Obviously.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:02 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:

Ok, serious guess:
Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:52 am 
Site Admin

C'maaaaahn! Is that all you guys have? Ya know, in the old days we'd get several pages of ace prognostications from the Nightmarathon faithful. And no analytical input from my old pal Mr. JacksUserID? Still two days left to throw in your guesses! And to be fair, I'm just REALLY excited to roll out the lineup on Saturday!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:22 pm 

The answer for all the clues is simple...Jason X.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:16 pm 

Worldsfinest wrote:
The answer for all the clues is simple...Jason X.

YES!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:18 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
-A great classic film with an iconic actor that is related to Jack Nicholson (the film, that is) in a way that might not be readily apparent.

I really hope this is not the remake of Little Shop of Horrors.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:26 pm 

Ghost wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:
-A great classic film with an iconic actor that is related to Jack Nicholson (the film, that is) in a way that might not be readily apparent.

I had guessed that above, and Joe said that none of the guesses were correct, so you're safe.

Although I don't know why you hope it isn't that film. That's a great, fun film that could be a fantastic pallete cleanser between other films, and we've had horror-comedies before (Young Frankenstein comes to mind.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:30 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
C'maaaaahn! Is that all you guys have? Ya know, in the old days we'd get several pages of ace prognostications from the Nightmarathon faithful. And no analytical input from my old pal Mr. JacksUserID? Still two days left to throw in your guesses! And to be fair, I'm just REALLY excited to roll out the lineup on Saturday!

Sorry dude. I've always been horrible at guessing films based off your clues, and my two attempts have already been shot down in a fiery explosion of negativity. :)

I'm eager to see the line-up on Saturday though!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:51 am 

Well, you asked, so here's my two cents:

All the clues seem even more vague than usual, so these are mostly wild guesses, and I only have 3 at the moment.

SOCIETY
THE DESCENT
NIGHTBREED

I am also guessing GREEN ROOM, but not based on any of the given clues. I just want to get at least one out of 12 right. If GREEN ROOM wasn't at the very least on the short list, I will eat my hat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:49 am 

AEinhorn wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:

I had guessed that above, and Joe said that none of the guesses were correct, so you're safe.

Although I don't know why you hope it isn't that film. That's a great, fun film that could be a fantastic pallete cleanser between other films, and we've had horror-comedies before (Young Frankenstein comes to mind.)

I love Horror Comedies just not a huge fan of Little Shop of Horrors, would rather see Ghost and Mr. Chicken or Private Eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:02 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:

This one and the Nicholson one are the two I just can't shake.

If the director being referenced had a movie at Sci-Fi or another marathon and not horror, then I'm stumped. I don't have the institutional knowledge. But if it's horror, there aren't many options. Neil Marshall's The Descent is a a great guess, but that's recent enough, would it need a new digital restoration? My guess -- Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things -- has been digitally restored of late (I think), but did Black Christmas go "over quite well"? I like it plenty, but it isn't really a title that comes up a lot in discussion.

The Nicholson one, my mind immediately went to Targets for several reasons, although I'm not sure if anyone considers that a "great classic," nor is it really horror. Though it does have an iconic actor and is related to Nicholson in a maybe not apparent way! (Plus, also shot down).
I've been trying to come up with tangential ways Nicholson could be related to movies and I'm just stumped.

As for the genre master questions -- I keep brainstorming, but there are so many genre masters that it's hard to pin answers down. And my mind tends to gravitate towards 70s and more recent folks, so if the director pre-dates that, then I'm not much help.

One of them's probably Argento, though, right?

Aaaaarrrrrrgggghhhh, I really should be working right now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:35 pm 

not worldsfinest wrote:

This one and the Nicholson one are the two I just can't shake.

The Nicholson one, my mind immediately went to Targets for several reasons, although I'm not sure if anyone considers that a "great classic," nor is it really horror. Though it does have an iconic actor and is related to Nicholson in a maybe not apparent way! (Plus, also shot down).
I've been trying to come up with tangential ways Nicholson could be related to movies and I'm just stumped.

This could be a Roger Corman and/or Vincent Price film since one of Jack Nicholson's first roles was in THE RAVEN.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

UPDATE! So quite unexpectedly, a very cool premiere dropped in our lap yesterday afternoon. something we felt that we couldn't pass up. So we've substituted that new film for the aforementioned, much-mooted underrated film by an acknowledged genre master that's ripe for reappraisal and should be a lot of fun with this crowd. And we'd still love to show it in the near future.

And don't worry, we still have the other underrated film by an acknowledged genre master (which, truth be told, is a more enjoyable film than the one we dropped....which is not to say that the now-missing film isn't fun!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next