The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:09 am 

That's right, now that the horror marathon lineup has been announced (still no forum post, but it is up on the Shock Around the Clock website), it's time once again to guess the schedule! Take your wild guesses and see them get completely demolished when the actual schedule is announced!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:39 am 

VAMPYR
THE TOMB OF LIGEIA (Vincent Price Needs to show Early, respect the VP)
BEYOND THE GATES
WE ARE THE FLESH
THE NIGHT OF SOMETHING STRANGE
HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH (Playing this in the Midnight hour just seems to fit)
THE BROOD (A little more serious horror after the fun of H3
THE BOXER'S OMEN (This looks like a fun, Zany movie to fill the coveted 4am slot)
THE HUNGER (A Slow Burn no matter what time they show it)
THE DEVIL
THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS (I have seen P.U.T.S. twice in the last year may sleep thru this one)
THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD (The Perfect Closer...DO YOU WANNA PARTY!!)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:59 pm 

VAMPYR
BEYOND THE GATES
HALLOWEEN III
THE BROOD
WE ARE THE FLESH
THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS
THE DEVIL
THE BOXER'S OMEN
THE TOMB OF LIGEIA
THE HUNGER
RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD

I agree with Ghost that VAMPYR and RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD make a great opener and closer, respectively. The films this year appear to be such that the tone can be alternated or at least ebb and flow pretty effectively with multiple potential schedules.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:38 pm 

Interesting lineup to play with -- 3 premieres (which I assumed have schedule-time stipulations), plus a few films that have or seem to have edgier content which I’m going to guess rule out the early hours. Here’s what I am (over) thinking:

HALLOWEEN III
THE TOMB OF LIGEIA
VAMPYR
BEYOND THE GATES
WE ARE THE FLESH
THE DEVIL
THE BROOD
THE BOXER’S OMEN
THE HUNGER

(total coincidence that almost all of the “The” movies bunched together).

So, my thinking: Can totally see Tomb or Vampyr opening, but Joe & Bruce also have kicked off several marathons with livelier, more modern affairs. RTOLD would be a great mood setter, but I’m betting the full frontal nudity in it makes it a no-no at that time.
I agree that Halloween III makes for some midnight movie fun and could see it there, but it’s also relatively tame compared with some of the other options for that time slot that may have elements that won’t fit the first few slots where the content is historically a little safer. Could see it and People Under the Stairs flip-flopped, though can the ‘thon end on Tom Atkins’ mustache two years in a row?

ROTLD seems like a textbook closing chapter, but I avoided putting it at the end because it has closed a marathon in the past (I think), so I put Stairs there.

Vampyr and Beyond the Gates both have guests so I’m thinking they’re in the more prime-time slots in that 2nd quarter of slots.

Could imagine all three premiers stacked back-to-back-to-back. On the off chance that trio can be broken up, I pushed Night later and put a palate cleansing ROTLD after Flesh because Flesh seems heavy.

Could swap Night and Devil for a real nice alternating heavy movie-light movie rhythm in the last 8 movies. But I figure Night can’t be pushed too far into the morning.

Feels like Cronenberg ALWAYS plays at 4 a.m.

Will rethink this too many times in the next almost two months.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:31 am 

A few years back they opened with You're Next, which I thought was a great way to open. Lots of energy, a solid flick and it definitely keep the crowd salivating for more. Not sure what the slow burns are but I have to think that those will go in that 2-4 AM range. Anyway, here's my guess:

VAMPYR
THE HUNGER
BEYOND THE GATES
WE ARE THE FLESH
HALLOWEEN III
THE DEVIL
THE BROOD
THE BOXER’S OMEN
THE TOMB OF LIGEIA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:44 pm 

To aid in your guessing, I've once again made a playlist of all the trailers I could find on YouTube. Only two were missing - DEVIL and BEYOND THE GATES. Given that the director of the latter is coming to the marathon, maybe someone can put a bug in his ear about getting the trailer up on YouTube? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

agentstinky wrote:
To aid in your guessing, I've once again made a playlist of all the trailers I could find on YouTube. Only two were missing - DEVIL and BEYOND THE GATES. Given that the director of the latter is coming to the marathon, maybe someone can put a bug in his ear about getting the trailer up on YouTube? :wink:

The extended BEYOND THE GATES trailer you saw at SHOCK-O-RAMA was an exclusive cut that hasn't been released to the public yet. Now that IFC Films will be handling the film's eventual regular release, you'll probably be seeing a more comprehensive preview in the near future.

And boy, THE DEVIL! Thank Satan for the mad geniuses at The Cinefamily in L.A., whose trailer for Zulawski's mad masterpiece we poached for SHOCK-O-RAMA. Otherwise, we'd had to have shown you the other available versions, which don't sell the film's nutty pleasures nearly as well.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:53 am 
Site Admin

Joe Neff wrote:
The extended BEYOND THE GATES trailer you saw at SHOCK-O-RAMA was an exclusive cut that hasn't been released to the public yet. Now that IFC Films will be handling the film's eventual regular release, you'll probably be seeing a more comprehensive preview in the near future.

Just in case it hadn't been mentioned before, the teaser is available on Vimeo:
https://vimeo.com/159313385

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:52 am 

Vampyr
The People Under the Stairs
Beyond the Gates
The Night of Something Strange
The Boxer's Omen
We Are The Flesh
Halloween III: Season of the Witch
The Brood
The Devil
The Hunger
Tomb of Ligeia
Return of the Living Dead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:03 am 

Revised guess/thread bump

THE TOMB OF LIGEIA
VAMPYR
BEYOND THE GATES
THE BOXER’S OMEN
WE ARE THE FLESH
THE DEVIL
HALLOWEEN III
THE BROOD
THE HUNGER

Shifted a few things around based off the recent podcast/boredom/whatever

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:44 am 

not worldsfinest wrote:

THE TOMB OF LIGEIA
VAMPYR
BEYOND THE GATES
THE BOXER’S OMEN
WE ARE THE FLESH
THE DEVIL
HALLOWEEN III
THE BROOD
THE HUNGER

I already forget the clues Joe and Kevin gave on the podcast, but this seems somewhat plausible. I'd still bet on VAMPYR being second at the latest, but maybe the pianist is more flexible than we give her credit for.

Hopefully now that we're in the week of the marathon, we won't have to wait long to find out if we're right! ...Right?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:46 am 

agentstinky wrote:
not worldsfinest wrote:

THE TOMB OF LIGEIA
VAMPYR
BEYOND THE GATES
THE BOXER’S OMEN
WE ARE THE FLESH
THE DEVIL
HALLOWEEN III
THE BROOD
THE HUNGER

I already forget the clues Joe and Kevin gave on the podcast, but this seems somewhat plausible. I'd still bet on VAMPYR being second at the latest, but maybe the pianist is more flexible than we give her credit for.

Hopefully now that we're in the week of the marathon, we won't have to wait long to find out if we're right! ...Right?

Joe said People COULD play earlier. Also sounded eager to get Boxer's Omen in a prime spot.

Certainly wouldn't be shocked if the event opened with Vampyr.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:29 am 

agentstinky wrote:

Heard a rumor from an EXTREMELY unRELIABLE source that the reason we haven't seen a schedule yet is that two of the movies may be dropping out, so things are still in flux.

The two new additions are apparently the 2016 version of Ghostbusters, and the unrated dvd version of 2016 Ghostbusters.

At first I thought they'd bookend the marathon, but maybe it'd be better if they played back-to-back so we could pick out the differences between the two a bit easier.

Y'all asked for more comedy, and it was either that or A Haunted House 2.

UPDATE: my ouija board now suggests that the second addition will in fact be Ginger Snaps, so I think the fans will be much happier about the switch now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:48 am 

cleazer wrote:
agentstinky wrote:

Heard a rumor from an EXTREMELY unRELIABLE source that the reason we haven't seen a schedule yet is that two of the movies may be dropping out, so things are still in flux.

The two new additions are apparently the 2016 version of Ghostbusters, and the unrated dvd version of 2016 Ghostbusters.

At first I thought they'd bookend the marathon, but maybe it'd be better if they played back-to-back so we could pick out the differences between the two a bit easier.

Y'all asked for more comedy, and it was either that or A Haunted House 2.

UPDATE: my ouija board now suggests that the second addition will in fact be Ginger Snaps, so I think the fans will be much happier about the switch now.

I still think Boo! A Madea Halloween should make its Columbus premiere and have Tyler Perry's assistant to the assistant as guest host.