The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

Because who doesn't need more BOXER'S OMEN in their life?

Back from the dead and ready for another terror-filled rotation of the planet, SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK presents a cavalcade of punk zombies, undead bloodsuckers, and malevolent maniacs, all in the luxury of the newly renovated Drexel Theater! Columbus's longtime terror tradition, this year's celebration of cinematic excess features a powerhouse lineup of films and special attractions, including:

-A rare screening of Carl Theodor Dreyer's dreamlike classic VAMPYR, with LIVE MUSICAL ACCOMPANIMENT by the stellar Sue Harshe. You might remember Sue from her memorable live score to THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI at the 2011 SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK. We're very excited to welcome her back to the Nightmarathon for what promises to be a singular cinematic experience.

-The OHIO PREMIERE of the affectionate 80's horror/fantasy throwback BEYOND THE GATES, with producer and co-writer Stephen Scarlata IN PERSON to discuss the film with the Nightmarathoid faithful! Produced by Barbara Carmpton, it's the story of two brothers whose quest to find their missing father leads them to a VCR board game with access to another world. Featuring cast members from RE-ANIMATOR: THE MUSICAL, it's been called "fun and spooky" by Dread Central.

-The MIDWEST PREMIERE of the absolutely deranged Mexican shocker WE ARE THE FLESH, the debut feature from director Emiliano Rocha Minter. A nightmare descent into depravity, it's been tearing up the festival circuit this year. Fangoria calls it "the real deal" and " a singular vision unlike anything else you may experience," and 2-time Academy Award-winning director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu has given it his seal of approval. Definitely not for the squeamish!

-The OHIO PREMIERE of the wild, splatterific, STDs gone bonkers THE NIGHT OF SOMETHING STRANGE. FrightFest UK calls it "Outrageous, offensive, bloody to the BRAINDEAD max, and hilariously entertaining." We can't wait to experience it with this audience!

-A rare 35mm screening of Dan O'Bannon's zombie splatter comedy classic THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD!

-A tribute to the late David Bowie with a screening of his iconic, erotic vampire chiller THE HUNGER! Also starring the luminous Catherine Deneuve and the sensual Susan Sarandon, it's the tale of upscale New York bloodsuckers fighting off the passage of time and the encroaching dawn.

-The NEW DCP RESTORATION of the late Andrzej (POSSESSION) Zulawski's THE DEVIL! Immediately banned upon release in Poland, it led to Zulawski's exile to France. The Cinefamily has called it "a blood-splattered rampage through a war-charred 1790s Poland that turns the historical epic inside out, and dances on its carcass."

-An ultra-rare 35mm screening of the spectacularly bonkers Shaw Brothers kung fu, black magic, day-glo blood splattered epic THE BOXER'S OMEN!

-A tribute to the late Wes Craven with his underrated horror thriller THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS!

-A rare 35mm screening of David Cronenberg's disturbing classic THE BROOD!

-Horror Marathon hero Vincent Price in Roger Corman's classic THE TOMB OF LIGEIA!

-The one, the only, the legend Tom Atkins (and his mustache) in the cult classic HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH!

PLUS!
-Coffinloads of 35mm trailers and shorts!
-The 8th Annual Costume Contest (with $100 First Prize!)
-The 8th Annual Scream Contest
-And more surprises!

Tickets for SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK are ON SALE at the Drexel Theatre (2254. E. Main St./cash or charge), Laughing Ogre Comics (4258 N. High St./cash only) or via PayPal at http://www.horrormarathon.com. Advance tix are $40, with a bump to $45 the day of show (if there are any left.) Reserve your place now for what promises to be one HELL of a good time!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:21 am 

- VAMPYR: I was not coming to Shock Around the Clock yet in 2011, so I'm glad I get another chance to see a film with live musical accompaniment
- BEYOND THE GATES: This looked pretty cool, like a horror-themed JUMANJI mixed with 80s/90s throwback vibes. I did have a VHS board game based on the TV show Gargoyles in the 90s, and it did give me spooky/ominous vibes as a kid that something in the real world was tied to this videotape.
- WE ARE THE FLESH: I liked the trailer a lot. Super stylish movies are sometimes hit-or-miss for me but I'm always willing to give them a shot.
- THE DEVIL: I kinda got THE STRANGE CASE OF DR. JEKYLL AND MISS OSBOURNE vibes from this one (i.e. rich old-timey people descending into depravity) but there seems to be more to it as well
- THE BOXER'S OMEN: I saw this several years ago on DVD on my tiny computer screen and I loved it, so I can't wait to see all the craziness up on the big screen in 35 MM! I love the use of Buddhism as a sort of supernatural kung-fu powerup to battle demons and such
- THE BROOD: I almost bought the Criterion Collection edition of this film on Blu Ray, but I'm glad I held off so I could see it at the marathon!

Not really sure what to expect from most of the other films, but things can always surprise me. Can't wait to see you all there!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a preview of the Official SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK flier! 2-sided, Halloween orange version coming soon to finer outlets near you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately, BEYOND THE GATES director Jackson Stewart has had to cancel his appearance at SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK. He's very bummed that he won't be able to make the pilgrimage. But he's generously helped us to arrange for BTG producer and writer Stephen Scarlata to take his place at the Horror Marathon! Stephen was also a writer on 2015's FINAL GIRL and one of the producers behind the amazing documentary JODOROWSKY'S DUNE! He's excited to make the trip and experience this cinematic thing of ours!