The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

I've always known that there are a few Barrys in the Marathon audience. Not naming names or anything..... :wink:

But seriously (if that's even possible at this point)! A few nights back I rewatched Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard's CABIN IN THE WOODS for the first time in a few years. And I was reminded again of how much I absolutely love this film. True, I might have still been in the woodland horror mood following SHOCK-O-RAMA. But even beyond that, CABIN stands tall even after repeated viewings, mainly due to the ingenious commentary of its script, the winning actors, and the completely over the top finale that makes the 10 year old monster fan in me giddy every time.

So it got me to thinkin' thinkin' thinkin'.....now that we're 16 years into the century, what films would compose my Top 10 Horror Films of this timeframe? More importantly, what are YOUR Top 10 Horror Films of the 21st Century so far? I'll post my thoughts later, but for the time being whaddya think?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:00 am 

Ooooooh, I like lists.

I'll preemptively say NOT It Follows, but will check back soon with a more adult response...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:21 am 

not worldsfinest wrote:
Ooooooh, I like lists.

I'll preemptively say NOT It Follows, but will check back soon with a more adult response...

Agreed on It Follows. I too may have a list, which will deviate from Not Worldsfinest and may include Spooky Buddies.

Last edited by Worldsfinest on Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:37 am 

These are my favorite Horror films of the last 16 years (Not in any specific order)

The Conjuring
Session 9
The Witch
You're Next
Cabin in the Woods
HouseBound
Trick r Treat
Drag me to Hell
28 Days Later
The House of the Devil

I know "It Follows" and "Babadook" will make most top 10 lists but personally I didn't care for either film all that much. Also "Green Room" would easily be number 11.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:01 am 

Ironically, most of the movies on my list were premieres at past 'thons but these are my favorites of the last 16 years.

1. Let The Right One In - probably one of my top 3 favorite horror movies of all time.
2. The Machinist - Loved the sense of dread and paranoia it created. Felt very claustrophobic throughout the flick.
3. Them/The Strangers - the reality of home invasions scares the crap out of me and this totally didn't help with that fear.
4. Paranormal Activity - I know I'll catch flack for this one but it was simple and effective. No gimmicks, no special effects and it just worked.
5. Shaun of the Dead - Zombies. Simon Pegg as a inept "hero" and Edgar Wright directing. How can you go wrong?
6. House of the Devil - Total throw back and working off nostalgia. Loved this flick and and the mood it sets.
7. Cabin in the Woods - What Joe said.
8. Trick r' Treat - Just a really fun flick. Kind of surprised this one hasn't been on the 'Thon slate.
9. 28 Days Later - A "new" interpretation of a "zombie" flick. really liked it and thought Cillian Murphy did an outstanding job.
10. The Descent - See claustrophobia above. Wasn't super scary per se but man, did I feel super squished watching that flick.

There are several I've seen that I left off because they weren't my cup of tea (Drag me to Hell, It Follows) but there were a few I really liked that just missed the cut off. ABCs of Death is really fun, Gozu is nuts, The Children, effing creepy kids and a strange virus that makes them crazy and You're Next, again really fun and of course Saw and Hostel.

Last edited by Worldsfinest on Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:46 am 

So, I'll start off by saying that I haven't seen a lot of the quality horror films of the past 16 years, partially because I've missed several Horror Marathons in a row (much to my annoyance). So, I know there are films that if I had seen them, they would probably bump some of these off the list. But here are the ones I've loved.

10. Horns - Joe Hill is anything but just his father's son. He's one of the most accomplished Horror authors of the past two decades, and Horns was a fantastic adaptation of his novel. Daniel Radcliffe is creepy and tragic and a fantastic reminder that the real monsters aren't always the ones who appear monstrous.

09. The Ring - Yeah, it sparked a bunch of terrible J-Horror remakes in the U.S., but the first film is fantastic and chilling and terrifying. It's also very much a relic of its time - it couldn't be set in today's world with cell phones and streaming video, but it remains amazingly effective.

08. Freddy vs. Jason - Arguably the least "horror" based film here. Freddy and Jason are more like WWE wrestlers or supervillains in this movie than they are horror icons. And the plot is only "meh," with no real standouts among the teenagers. But that's not why we wanted the movie. We wanted it to see the two killers go after one another, and those scenes more than delivered.

07. The Others - Similar to Horns in its message, but where that film takes the message to a visceral level, The Others does it via mood and atmosphere and some truly haunting performances. Nicole Kidman is captivating in whatever she's in (even if the movie is dreck), and this film never fails to creep me out.

06. Drag Me To Hell - A PG-13 rated horror film, and one that is relatively straightforward in its action. The "twist" can be seen a mile away. But none of that matters. It's Sam Raimi doing what he does best, and in some ways its amazing to see what they can get away with in a PG-13 film. Plus, I enjoy how unsympathetic our protagonist is.

05. 28 Days Later - On the one hand, I hate this film for creating the "fast zombie" craze. (And yes, I know there were movies with fast zombies before it, but this is the one that cemented it in the mind of the public. And that the Rage-virus infectees aren't really zombies.) That said, this one just works, and since the fear of this film is based around infection, and not around the inevitability of death, it works for me.

04. Ils (Them) - Simply put, one of the best home invasion/stalking films ever made. There are others that come close, but Ils managed to leave me scared to look under my car when I left that Marathon.

03. Martyrs - I know this will be an unpopular choice, and I know it didn't go over great at the Marathon, but this one really tore me apart. Not for the more graphic torture sequences, but for the reason behind it all. Or lack thereof. And the most painful sequences to watch, for me, didn't involve the incredibly graphic torture, but just the physical beatings. Because they took away all the comic book trapings of violence we're used to away, and just left us with the brutal reality of one person harming another.

02. Let The Right One In/Let Me In - I can't separate these two out, just because they're both so good. There is something so tangibly lonely and paranoid in this film. It's one of those rare cases where the book, the foreign film, and the American remake are all excellent. I know it hasn't been that long since we had Let The Right One In at the Marathon, but if we could bookend an event between it and Let Me In, I'd be all for it.

01. Cabin in the Woods - What else is there to say that hasn't already been covered in detail above? This is one of those movies I will watch anytime.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:17 pm 

I am doing my Top 25 because 10 is not enough. In no particular order....

You're Next
Tucker & Dale vs Evil
Trick 'r Treat
Frailty
The Mist
Eden Lake
30 Days of Night
The Cabin in the Woods
Slither
28 Days Later

Saw
Let the Right One In
American Mary
Cabin Fever
Housebound
Dawn of The Dead
Hard Candy
Rec
Dog Soldiers
Stake Land

The Visit
Severance
May
Dead & Breakfast
2001 Maniacs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:54 pm 

Did some brainstorming. Don’t think I’m leaving anything out, but here we go:

Honorable mention (in no particular order):
The Witch
Session 9
Dawn of the Dead remake
Frailty
Trick ‘R Treat
The Others
The Babadook
Feast
Slither

10. You’re Next. Quite possibly the most pleasant surprise movie that’s ever pleasantly surprised me, which was a surprise, pleasantly. When picked for the marathon I rolled my eyes and thought, “meh, whatever, home invasion, Strangers rip off, blah, blah ...” If you’ve seen it you know how wrong my assumptions were. Funny and fun. When I looked at my big list, I didn’t think it would make my top 10 cut then I realized how often I’ve recommended it to others. They’ve all loved it too.

9. Crimson Peak/Devil’s Backbone/Pan’s Labyrinth. Ok, this is a wee bit of a cheat, but I couldn’t do a list like this without any Guillermo Del Toro and I couldn’t choose between these three (yes, even Crimson Peak which I think will be better remembered over time). Peak is a colorful throwback to old school horror. The other two are artful blends of terrors real and imagined both of which land painful emotional punches. Del Toro is a master.

8. Planet Terror. The underrated and far superior half of Grindhouse. Feels a bit forgotten now, but it’s a highly entertaining shameless cinematic love letter to grade-Z late night movie trash.

7. Cabin in the Woods. The smartest movie in the room. Genuine “Where the heck is this going?” mystery that is part playing-it-straight horror film, part workplace comedy that ultimately collide in an unpredictable and wildly over-the-top (in a good way) climax. I both can’t believe the studio let them make it and can’t believe the studio shelved it for as long as it did.

6. House of the Devil. This is how you make a horror throwback/homage. It is reverential without constantly feeling the need to underline its influences. It nails a vibe and a time and a place. It feels like a movie my baby-sitter would have let me watch but probably shouldn’t have.

5. Shaun of the Dead. Best horror comedy ever? It probably gets my vote. Will happily watch any time, any place.

4. The Descent. Oooh this is a stressful, nasty watching experience and that’s just the first half when claustrophobia is the only worry.

3. Black Swan. Straight up horror movie that feels like it gets lost in discussion because it racked up a bunch of mainstream awards and nominations. Cronenbergian body horror mixed with classic repressed anxiety melt down. The fingernail cutting scenes. Nope! (And by nope, I mean yes, this is great).

2. Let the Right One In. A stunning, expertly calibrated character piece. Two of the best, most believable teenage (well, sort of ...) characters ever put on film.

1. Under the Skin. I’ll probably get some pushback on this under the ol’ “it’s really more of a sci-fi movie” argument, but I don’t care. It’s a haunting, creepy film that I haven’t shook since first seeing it. My thoughts were reignited lately by Stranger Things which lifts its pitch black room visual wholesale from this. There’s a specific scene in particular that is as upsetting and horrific as anything I’ve seen in a long time. Its who-really-is-the-monster tragic climax is straight from classic horror.
(Full disclosure: I’d probably top a sci-fi list with this too).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:44 am 
Site Admin

What a cool, varied set of lists! This is why I love horror films so much: we all have our own specific tastes and niche interests in the genre, but the very fact that horror is a thing brings us all together. And these lists have made me rethink a lot of my favorite entries. And reminded me to rewatch some of these. Case in point: LET THE RIGHT ONE IN. I really dug this when it premiered at the 2008 INCREDIBLE 2-HEADED MARATHON, but for some reason I haven't watched it again in the intervening years. So my sense memory isn't strong enough to place it in my Top 10. But geez, now that I'm going to go back to it soon, I might just change my mind. I also really enjoyed LET ME IN; it's one of the few faithful remakes I've seen that still feels fresh and intriguing (due in large part to the excellent cast....I have rule that Richard Jenkins makes any film better....which is also one of the reasons I adore THE CABIN IN THE WOODS). Although it's similar enough that bookending a Marathon with both films might be overkill. Of course, I'm also the guy who booked THE SATANIST, soooooo.....

In his excellent film-centric podcast, AMERICAN PSYCHO author Bret Easton Ellis often discusses the state of modern horror, and the plague of hyper-exposition that's befallen it. More and more, it seems like horror films (especially mainstream studio fare) rely far too much on explaining every motivation, origin point, and nook and cranny of the terrors they present. Rob Zombie's HALLOWEEN is a classic case. I actually enjoyed parts of it, but the beauty of Carpenter's original is that Michael Myers cannot be explained. He's the boogeyman incarnate, and that's what makes him so terrifying, even all these years later.

Likely to absolutely no one's surprise, I subscribe to this theory of horror in my favorite 21st century genre flicks. Most of the ones that have stuck with me rely on mood and atmosphere over pure plot mechanics. In fact, very often the plot mechanics are completely thrown out the window.

So without any further ado, here's my Top 10 in reverse order, preceded by my Honorable Mentions (and trust me, some of these were tough to leave off the main list.)

HONORABLE MENTION (in no particular order)

AMERICAN PSYCHO
SESSION 9
CRIMSON PEAK
-Agreed with notworldsfinest: this is a vastly underrated throwback to the Gothic horror films of yesteryear. Even though none of his films cracked my Top 10, I dearly love Guillermo del Toro's canon. The manner in which he crafts these beautiful, intricately woven cinematic worlds is often breathtaking.
DIARY OF THE DEAD
-Easily my favorite George Romero film since DAY OF THE DEAD, a low budget return to the primal fear of his older films.
LET THE RIGHT ONE IN
ANTICHRIST
THE DESCENT
-This was soooooo close to making the Top 10. We've been meaning to bring it to the Horror Marathon for some time now.
28 DAYS LATER
BLACK SWAN
-Again, agreed with notworldsfinest on all counts. Just an amazingly wrenching emotional experience, and a total balls to the wall, burn down the house performance by Natalie Portman. This is the film that Dario Argento would be making right now if his career hadn't gone into terminal decline.
DETENTION
-Anyone else seen Joseph Kahn's insane genre mash-up? It's great fun, and I've often thought of sneaking it into the lineup one of these years.
BERBERIAN SOUND STUDIO
THE HILLS HAVE EYES (Aja remake)
SLITHER
-Just to show you that its infamous cancellations have nothing to do with my love for it.
SINISTER
THE CONJURING
A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT
HOUSEBOUND
Gareth Evans's "Safe Haven" episode of V/H/S 2, which might be one of my favorite horror shorts of all time.

THE TOP 10

10. YOU’RE NEXT
-For the very reasons that others here have stated. Seeing it on opening day with five other people was great fun. Seeing it with what turned out to be an unsuspecting Nightmarathoid audience two years ago was a transcendent experience.

9. THE HOUSE OF THE DEVIL
-I love the loose confederacy of directors and actors (Adam Wingard, Joe Swanberg, Ti West, AJ Bowen, Amy Seimetz, etc.) that have created this, YOU'RE NEXT, THE SACRAMENT, etc. I only hope that they stay with the genre in some manner as their careers progress. West's directorial breakthrough is such a vivid evocation of an analog era in which so much more was unknown, and in which some of those bumps in the night could be the real thing. A master class in filmmaking, with a relatively simple story shot to the moon by the stylistic bravado herein.

8. THE LORDS OF SALEM
-Yeah, I know, I still get guff for defending Rob Zombie. And his other films have their notable flaws. But this remains for me the most fully realizes expression of his obsessions, as he abandons the overly heavy narrative of his other films for a dreamlike meditation on losing one's identity in the face of what might just be the supernatural evil you've been trained not to take seriously.

7. KILL LIST
-An absolutely nerve-shredding experience in mounting dread, and a timely story of what economic ruin will do to someone (and by extension, will do to a society.) You know from the start that things are going to go so very wrong, but Ben Wheatley continues to crank up the tension to an unbearable level anyway.

6. SHAUN OF THE DEAD
-Again, I'm in agreement with everyone here. The rare horror comedy that is both loving tribute and genuinely dramatically satisfying.

5. IRREVERSIBLE/MARTYRS/A SERBIAN FILM
-I've explained in the past how the convergence of these three films at consecutive Horror Marathons was more the product of circumstance than of any supposed preoccupation I had with extreme horror. That being said, I'm still a firm believer that the horror genre has to actually, ya know, horrify and be dangerous and verboten to remain vital. All three of these titles made me feel deeply uneasy, and all three hit me emotionally in ways I never expected. And I'd argue that all three are also major stylistic achievements in their own ways.

4. INLAND EMPIRE
-Ya know who scares me? David Lynch scares me. He's one of my all-time favorite directors, and even though he's never been associated with traditional horror, the manner in which he evokes a nightmare logic is definitely of the genre. There are so many moments in the TWIN PEAKS canon that still give me chills (the Red Room sequences, Killer BOB crawling over the couch, that mind-bending final episode of Season 2), ERASERHEAD is one of the most fully realizes screen nightmares, LOST HIGHWAY is like watching someone being turned inside out for two hours, and even BLUE VELVET is utterly terrifying in parts. INLAND EMPIRE might be the final traditional feature film he ever directs, and though I rarely see it associated with the horror genre, there are so many moments therein that feel like I'm just thaaaaat far from passing over into whatever dimension of grotesque fear is on the other side of reality, a short distance away from our daily lives. It's long, and strange, and difficult, and sometimes impenetrable. But I'll be damned if it doesn't haunt me to this day.

3. THE CABIN IN THE WOODS
-For all the reasons listed in this thread.

2. THE STRANGE COLOR OF YOUR BODY’S TEARS
-When I first saw this at the 2014 SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK, I really enjoyed the cut of its jib, even as fatigue made it just a bit difficult to fully process every twist and turn. When I rewatched it on video last year, it completely blew me away, so much so that this might now be one of my all-time favorite horror films. Helene Cattet and Bruno Forzani abandon most any semblance of plot to focus on some of the most primal human (and mostly male) fears and neuroses in this hazy, psychedelic, giallo-inspired headtrip of a film. I'm getting excited to watch it again just as I type these words.

1. IT FOLLOWS
-And speaking of all-time favorites........ya know, if there's anything that this thread has proven, it's that art is a highly personal matter. What may seem ridiculous and snore-inducing to one person can be the thrill of a lifetime for another. And it's not always easy to explain why. So it is with IT FOLLOWS. I've seen this three times now: once on a Japanese bootleg on my computer, once at SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK, and once on Blu-Ray on a big screen TV. Each time, I've fallen ever more in love with David Robert Mitchell's haunting, harrowing, horror tone poem. It evokes the mystery and melancholic power of Halloween for me better than any film since....well, HALLOWEEN. The amazing score by Disasterpiece reminds me of a time when the mysteries of life were both frightening and fascinating, which is appropriate given that IT FOLLOWS largely derives its power from that most universal of themes: the often frightening transition from adolescence to adulthood. And there's the prowling camerwork, and the ambiguously timeless setting, and the bone dry humor, and the shell e-reader, and the classic movie theater, and......well, yeah, you can see what I mean. I never thought I'd say it two years ago, but IT FOLLOWS is hands down in my all-time Top 10, and is a work of art that I continue to find new ways to love.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:40 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
-I've explained in the past how the convergence of these three films at consecutive Horror Marathons was more the product of circumstance than of any supposed preoccupation I had with extreme horror. That being said, I'm still a firm believer that the horror genre has to actually, ya know, horrify and be dangerous and verboten to remain vital. All three of these titles made me feel deeply uneasy, and all three hit me emotionally in ways I never expected. And I'd argue that all three are also major stylistic achievements in their own ways.

Since these were all shown in consecutive years, I feel like we need to dub this the "Holy F#$%, what the hell were thinking, Joe Neff?" Trilogy?

Or some other trilogy name, anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:42 am 

Worldsfinest wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:

Since these were all shown in consecutive years, I feel like we need to dub this the "Holy F#$%, what the hell were thinking, Joe Neff?" Trilogy?

I propose simply the "Damn, Joe" Trilogy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:55 am 

AEinhorn wrote:
Worldsfinest wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:

I propose simply the "Damn, Joe" Trilogy.

Seconded. Can we get a vote?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:57 am 

Can't believe I forgot Irreversible.
Also, while I didn't have it on my list I really liked Lords of Salem!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:21 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
1. IT FOLLOWS
-And speaking of all-time favorites........ya know, if there's anything that this thread has proven, it's that art is a highly personal matter. What may seem ridiculous and snore-inducing to one person can be the thrill of a lifetime for another. And it's not always easy to explain why. So it is with IT FOLLOWS. I've seen this three times now: once on a Japanese bootleg on my computer, once at SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK, and once on Blu-Ray on a big screen TV. Each time, I've fallen ever more in love with David Robert Mitchell's haunting, harrowing, horror tone poem. It evokes the mystery and melancholic power of Halloween for me better than any film since....well, HALLOWEEN. The amazing score by Disasterpiece reminds me of a time when the mysteries of life were both frightening and fascinating, which is appropriate given that IT FOLLOWS largely derives its power from that most universal of themes: the often frightening transition from adolescence to adulthood. And there's the prowling camerwork, and the ambiguously timeless setting, and the bone dry humor, and the shell e-reader, and the classic movie theater, and......well, yeah, you can see what I mean. I never thought I'd say it two years ago, but IT FOLLOWS is hands down in my all-time Top 10, and is a work of art that I continue to find new ways to love.

Ok, I know the film is a metaphor for STD's However if you take it at face value it's completely unrealistic. Assuming there is a "patient Zero" how in the world did this person attract "it" and how did this person figure out the rules of the game? Also even if you did figure out the rules exactly how long can the chain realistically go before "patient zero" is once again the target of "it"?? What happens if "it" kills "patient zero"??

Just like with "Martyrs" I feel like the writers had a good idea for a story but were not creative enough to tell the full story so they gave us the middle with no beginning or ending.

EDIT:
Why did "IT" kill all 3 guys on the boat that she had sex with? After she had sex with the first guy the curse had been passed on to him...so did that guy have sex with one of his friends on the boat and than the 2nd guy have sex with the third guy?

Last edited by Ghost on Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:22 pm 

I won't rehash my It Follows beefs, which are covered in multiple other threads from last year.

I come here to praise it -- it absolutely sets a memorable mood and tone, which is one of the things I did like about it. It is atmospheric. I am a fan of the director's previous movie, The Myth of The American Sleepover, which isn't horror but is on a similar tonal wavelength as It Follows and also operates on that adolescent-adulthood fault line. He's a talented filmmaker and I'll eagerly line up for what he does next.