The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:18 am 

I watched ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13, which, as discussed in another thread, is not really a horror movie. But it is directed by John Carpenter, and the way the gang members (the ones doing the titular assaulting) are treated was purportedly done as an homage to the zombies in NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, with mysterious motives, little to no dialogue, and seemingly inexhaustible numbers and resources.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:28 am 

2000 Maniacs (RIP)
The House of the Devil
Slither
Spider Baby
House - Obayashi
Cabin in the Woods
Drag Me to Hell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:36 am 

In the last couple days watched GREMLINS and EVENT HORIZON, neither of which I had seen before. Talk about a movie which does hold up vs. one that doesn't. EVENT HORIZON was so stylistically dated in the 90s I was afraid I'd start projectile vomiting Surge and Hi-C Ecto Cooler.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:50 pm 

Been trying to watch a movie or two every night this week in the lead up to tomorrow (when I'll take down 3 or 4) and Friday when I'll prethon with some other weak-ass chumps and knock out another 6-8.
Here's what I consumed this week thus far:

Cast a Deadly Spell: Fun idea I'd love to see revisited with a better budget.
Nightbeed (director's cut): Intriguing, but dated and the acting is hot garbage.
Hellraiser: Clive Barker isn't really my bag, but this classic is undeniable.
House of 1,000 Corpses: I still have some issues, but honestly better than I remember.

Not sure what I'll get into tonight, but probably at least one lighter title to balance out those last three which edge toward heavier.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:29 pm 

Was there something in particular that made you revisit House of 1000 Corpses? I've never seen one of his films. I'm not opposed to seeing em, but I've just heard enough negatives about them, and there are just so many other things to see, that I've never gone through with watching one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:55 pm 

scratch wrote:
Was there something in particular that made you revisit House of 1000 Corpses? I've never seen one of his films. I'm not opposed to seeing em, but I've just heard enough negatives about them, and there are just so many other things to see, that I've never gone through with watching one.

A mix of opinions I respect (Mr. Neff) and curiosity. Feeling older and wiser now (not that one needs to be either of those things in this case). But it was 13 years ago. Maybe most of all -- I enjoyed Lords of Salem a few years ago and while I have no desire to revisit Zombie's Halloween reboots, I like LoS enough to motivate me to give Corpses a revisit. Haven't seen Devil's Rejects.

I still had some criticisms. It's definitely a little too "music video" for my tastes in its editing. I like how he uses grainy VHS-style footage in theory, but feel it gets a little irritating as the movie wears on. The shrillness of some of the performances (Sheri Moon Zombie, Chris Hardwick) and the "homages" to the Texas Chainsaw world bothered me a lot less this time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:06 pm 

Now that you mention it, it usually is a combination of things that gets me to revisit something that I may not have fully appreciated the first time around. A recommendation from a trusted source always helps, but there are usually other things too that already had me doubting my first impression.

If you feel like it, I'd be curious to hear what appealed to you most about Lords of Salem.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:47 am 

WolfNC17 wrote:
Deathgasm

After last years marathon, I took my 14 year old son to see Deathgasm when it showed at the Gateway a few weeks later. He loved it, and has since turned several of his friends onto it. It warms my heart to overhear them quoting it in their best New Zealand accents.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:01 pm 

agentstinky wrote:
In the last couple days watched GREMLINS and EVENT HORIZON, neither of which I had seen before.

Followed up with GREMLINS 2: THE NEW BATCH. That is one bonkers movie...hard to imagine a sequel to a highly profitable franchise being allowed to go completely off the rails today like GREMLINS 2 did in 1990.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:44 pm 

Gremlins 2 is awesome! But the story I heard was that Joe Dante only agreed to make a sequel if he could make it his way and he wanted to make it so no one would ever ask for a third film. I think it's a blast!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:23 pm 

MEATFETISH wrote:
Gremlins 2 is awesome! But the story I heard was that Joe Dante only agreed to make a sequel if he could make it his way and he wanted to make it so no one would ever ask for a third film. I think it's a blast!

I totally agree, it was a lot of fun!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:44 am 

Home stretch the last few days. Wednesday and Thursday:

Playgirls and the Vampire: Wanted a change of pace from what I'd been watching. Found this on Netflix. Got about what I expected. Tame 60s cheese.
Gothic: Some good, overheated Ken Russell action if you're into such things.
Cronos: Guiellermo del Toro is a god to me.
Stake Land: I fell asleep (more because I was just dead tired, no reflection on the film, necessarily).
Kwaidan: Artsy Japanese ghost stories. It's very slow, but the imagery is fantastic. Really dug it.

Friday pre-marathon
Death Spa: Awesome 80s (well, technically 1990, but aesthetically 1985) horror insanity.
The Crazies (Romero version): Happy to finally see this. A little tamer than I expected/hoped.
The Boy: Liked it more than I expected. Not sure if it has much rewatchability though.
Gore Gore Girls: RIP Herschel Gordon Lewis. This was also way funnier than expected (and intentionally so).
Gravy: Entertaining enough. Maybe not quite as witty as it thinks it is, but I laughed enough. Plenty of gore.