The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:15 pm 

With exactly a month to go until SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK 2016, it's time to ask - what are you watching leading up to the marathon? Any horror or horror-adjacent media that gets in you the mood is fair game. We've done this thread before and I always enjoy hearing what people have been watching/playing/listening to.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:24 pm 

Over the past month or so, I've watched:

- ALIEN
- THE EVIL DEAD, EVIL DEAD II, and ARMY OF DARKNESS (all at SHOCK-O-RAMA)
- UNFRIENDED (I know, I know :roll: )
- CREEPSHOW
- HANNIBAL (TV)
- I also played a little bit of BLOODBORNE (video game)

Definitely plan to get in more movies before the marathon, but not so many that I get burnt out too early. I'd like to go see one or two of the ones currently in theaters, most likely DON'T BREATHE.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:51 pm 

Already watched The original Night of the Living Dead and the 1990 Remake, I still think this is a quality remake.

This Saturday I am having a 12 hour marathon with a few friends, the line ups is :

House on Haunted Hill (1959) Presented in Emergo!
The Omen (1976)
Tombs of the Blind Dead (1972)
Surprise Feature
The Prowler (1981)
Legend of Boggy Creek (1972)

Plus multiple trailers and short features.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:28 pm 

Late August is when I dust off my Poe and Lovecraft tomes and put them bedside for an occasional dive into short stories (some of King's collections too). I haven't turned to TV/movies quite yet, but will soon.

Penny Dreadful's 3rd (and final) season is about to come up on Netflix. I adored the first two and am eager for the final stretch. I got a kick out of Scream Queens, the second season of which premiers Sept. 20, so will check that out too.

Movie-wise, I don't have a set plan. I just go with what I feel like. I have a few streaming services, but I really liked what Hulu offered last year (The Prowler, Inferno, Incredible 2-Headed Transplant, etc.) so I'll probably scan that and click on whatever feels right in the moment.

I'll probably rewatch House (Hausu, not William Katt) just because I always want to rewatch House. Several friends and I do an annual pre-thon on the Friday before the real thing which knocks out about 6-7 movies. We've kicked around some title ideas but usually go with whatever we're feeling that day. My early votes are for Hellraiser (I've always appreciated, but never loved the movie, but have weird guilt about leaving before it showed a few years ago) and Death Spa. Talk around these boards has me super curious about Society as well ...

On top of that, I usually do my own personal 3-4 movie pre-pre thon the Thursday evening before that so I wind up watching 22-25 movies from about 6 p.m. Thursday until about 1:30 Sunday. I have a few lovely Criterion Collection blu-rays burning a hole on my shelf that I'm likely to dig deep into -- Rosemary's Baby, Don't Look Now, Cronos. The Brood was on that list too, but turns out I'll be seeing that anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:24 pm 

not worldsfinest wrote:
Penny Dreadful's 3rd (and final) season is about to come up on Netflix. I adored the first two and am eager for the final stretch. I got a kick out of Scream Queens, the second season of which premiers Sept. 20, so will check that out too.

I liked the 3rd season and was disappointing when I learned it was the final season.

not worldsfinest wrote:
I'll probably rewatch House (Hausu, not William Katt) just because I always want to rewatch House. Several friends and I do an annual pre-thon on the Friday before the real thing which knocks out about 6-7 movies. We've kicked around some title ideas but usually go with whatever we're feeling that day. My early votes are for Hellraiser (I've always appreciated, but never loved the movie, but have weird guilt about leaving before it showed a few years ago) and Death Spa. Talk around these boards has me super curious about Society as well ...

Nothing wrong with the William Katt movie House, one of my childhood favs. You may live Society, I never really cared for it much but it is different.

not worldsfinest wrote:
On top of that, I usually do my own personal 3-4 movie pre-pre thon the Thursday evening before that so I wind up watching 22-25 movies from about 6 p.m. Thursday until about 1:30 Sunday. I have a few lovely Criterion Collection blu-rays burning a hole on my shelf that I'm likely to dig deep into -- Rosemary's Baby, Don't Look Now, Cronos. The Brood was on that list too, but turns out I'll be seeing that anyway.

Rosemary's Baby, Don't Look Now and don't forget Session 9. All 3 slow burns but with amazing pay-offs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

Ahhhh one of my favorite threads of the year! Of all the holidays that are now stretched into several months before their occurrence, Halloween is the one I don't mind expanding one bit.

It's always difficult choosing which films to watch when in the leadup to the Horror Marathon (and to Halloween.) Much like Dr. Gonzo in FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS, I aim for that peak of "White Rabbit" (or in this case Carpenter's HALLOWEEN theme) to hit before throwing the tape recorder in the tub (or in this case the day of the Marathon or Halloween itself.) Okay, yeah.....maybe not the clearest analogy. But I try to save some prime stuff for late October. And I'm a dedicated enough junkie that I almost feel like watching even more canonical fare while it's still warm in September is a compromise. Now on cooler nights like this, though? Magic.

So far this fall I've unspooled:

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1990 remake...and Tim, you're right, this one really holds up.)
TWO EVIL EYES (Had never seen this one! Not too shabby. The Argento half is stronger, but the closing image and overall message of Romero's half remains some of the most scathing social commentary in his oeuvre.)
CABIN IN THE WOODS
RABIES (Great, clever Israeli take on the slasher film.)
DEATHGASM (which I loved even more the second time!)
POSSESSION (in 35mm at the Wexner Center)
SHAUN OF THE DEAD
Bernard (CANDYMAN) Rose's FRANKENSTEIN
DEMONS (First time I'd seen it all the way through while fully awake.)
AMER (First film by the STRANGE COLOR OF YOUR BODY'S TEARS team)
MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE (Also for the first time. Some of the best watermelon violence on film.)
THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE
ILS (For the first time since its premiere in 2007. Still liked it, but not as much as I did back then.)
THE THING (2011 prequel. Not horrible, but man some of the over the top CGI is just awful.)
HOLIDAYS (Decent anthology film. A few standout segments, but too many that are tonally all over the place or repetitive.)

Last fall, I pledged to watch the complete run of a few Horror anthologies that I'd never finished. I made it through all the SAW films (which get pretty weak as they go along) and the entire NIGHTMARE ON ELM ST. run (which is now easily my favorite franchise, and the one whose sequels hold up the best...even the weaker ones.) This year, in prep for TOMB OF LIGEIA at the Marathon, I'm aiming to go through most of Vincent Price's Horror films in chronological order. Tonight is THE FLY and HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:09 pm 

agentstinky wrote:
Definitely plan to get in more movies before the marathon, but not so many that I get burnt out too early. I'd like to go see one or two of the ones currently in theaters, most likely DON'T BREATHE.

Went to see Don't Breathe a few days ago, and we loved it.

Definitely recommend it for the folks on this board. Perhaps a number of the scenes were predictable (at least for us old veterans who've seen a million of these flicks), but it was well-made and fairly intense. Can't ask for anything more than that.

Glad to see that it seems to be a hit at the box office. Deserved.

Joe Neff wrote:
DEATHGASM (which I loved even more the second time!)

I showed it to some friends and yeah, I quite enjoyed it the second time through too.

I could swear I remember hearing something about a sequel to this. Was that a real thing, or was it just message board wishful thinking?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:02 am 

You heard correctly, there's a Deathgasm sequel on the way. Maybe next year. They're working on it...

For anyone who hasn't seen Deathgasm, or wants to again, you can watch it on Netflix streaming.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:44 am 

DON'T BREATHE is great, and makes a strong case that CUJO is a dated movie that deserves to be remade.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:39 am 

Ghost wrote:
Nothing wrong with the William Katt movie House, one of my childhood favs. You may live Society, I never really cared for it much but it is different.

Oh, I celebrate the William Katt House too. We actually opened our Friday pre-thon with that a few years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:24 am 

In the middle of a move and currently living in an Extended Stay(which I'm sure has either A. been the set for a horror movie; or B. was an actual crime scene, because it's sketch city) for three weeks until we get into the new house (we close today) on 9/23. Having a 7-month-old sort of takes precedence over watching any movies, tv, streaming, etc, especially in a cramped hotel room. However, I'll be hosting the pre-thon along with Not Worlds and Beedub.
I've offered a few suggestions, specifically Romero's The Crazies if we can find it, Audition of which I've not seen. BeeDub has thrown Krampus into the mix but that day usually is a, "how do we feel" day and we just play some things based off of, shoot from the hip suggestions.

However, I do break out my Poe books and start reading a little before I go to bed and I'll watch The Nightmare Before Christmas on October 1.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:25 am 

I went to see DON'T BREATHE last night, and I second all the recommendations. I was the only one in the theater, so I was free to yell "No, no, go go GO GO GO!" as much as I wanted. Amazing use of tension, and I loved the way the camera used details and physical space to ratchet up the tension and make you feel like you were there--I felt like I had all the information and tools the characters did to decide what to do next and how to survive.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:40 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1990 remake...and Tim, you're right, this one really holds up.)

Keep this in mind for a future marathon!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:07 pm 

Ghost wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:

I agree, it still holds up & one of the better remakes.

Quick question for Ghost, since you are obviously a Blu Ray freak like me. Have you purchased or seen the latest Blu Ray version released by Australia's Umbrella Entertainment? It lists it as a being coded for Australia Region, but I saw on Bloody-Disgusting site that it was indeed Region Free. It is next on my list to buy, but just wanted to see if you had seen or purchased it. I heard the Twilight Time limited release a few years back had major color issues & was super dark blue colors throughout the whole film.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/33 ... r-blu-ray/

This would be a great addition to the horror marathon next year or Joe, maybe you could do next years SHOCK-O-RAMA with the 3 remakes of Night, Dawn & Day (even though both Day remakes/sequels stink). 8) 8) 8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:27 pm 

Farva wrote:
Ghost wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:

I agree, it still holds up & one of the better remakes.

Quick question for Ghost, since you are obviously a Blu Ray freak like me. Have you purchased or seen the latest Blu Ray version released by Australia's Umbrella Entertainment? It lists it as a being coded for Australia Region, but I saw on Bloody-Disgusting site that it was indeed Region Free. It is next on my list to buy, but just wanted to see if you had seen or purchased it. I heard the Twilight Time limited release a few years back had major color issues & was super dark blue colors throughout the whole film.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/33 ... r-blu-ray/

This would be a great addition to the horror marathon next year or Joe, maybe you could do next years SHOCK-O-RAMA with the 3 remakes of Night, Dawn & Day (even though both Day remakes/sequels stink). 8) 8) 8)

I have not looked into this, I also heard the TT release had major issues, it should be about time for rights to expire and hopefully Scream Factory or Kino will give it the quality release it deserves.