The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Halloween Playlist
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:26 am 

Hey guys! Halloween is my favorite time of year (big surprise), and I have this fairy impressive Halloween playlist. It's the only music I listen to between Oct 1st and Oct 31st. But every year I look for new music and songs to make it even better.

Do you guys have any recommendations for me?

Post subject: Re: Halloween Playlist
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:45 am 

Alice Cooper - Pretty much anything but especially "Welcome to my Nightmare" (The entire Album)
King Diamond - Pretty much anything but especially "Abigail" (The entire Album)
Mercyful Fate - Pretty much anything but especially "Melissa" (The entire Album)
Wednesday 13 - Pretty much anything
Ghost - Pretty much anything but especially "Cirice"
Nowhere Fast - View Through a Tear (from the soundtrack of THE PROWLER)
Lizzy Borden - Pretty much anything
Fastway - Soundtrack to the movie "Trick or Treat"
Rob Zombie - Pretty much anything
Skeleton Witch - - Pretty much anything but especially "Forever Abomination" (The entire Album)
Slayer - nuff said
William Castle - Ghost Story scary sounds of Halloween

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:59 pm 

Nice suggestions. I have half of those. Mercyful Fate and Ghost sound pretty good. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:00 pm 

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwEix0Evjew

Aaaaaand this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1mtoGJnzz0

That's all I need.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:19 pm 

A newer one from one of my favorite bands that gives me a Halloween vibe:

They Might Be Giants - Aaa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

Another cool Halloween thread! Okay, here goes:

-Anything by the legendary Goblin. Their soundtrack work is duly revered, but standalone album ROLLER is also a favorite. As well, 4/5 of the original lineup (sans Claudio Simonetti) released a new album this year (FOUR OF A KIND) which is well worth checking out. If you like them, you should also check out Zombi, a band who is clearly in debt to the Italian masters.

-It's probably no secret 'round these parts, but The Alan Parsons Project's TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION has become one of my all-time favorite seasonal listens. Bombastic, melancholy, and atmospheric, it's a great conjuring of Edgar Allan Poe's work and a wonderful Halloween record.

-The late Isao Tomita was a mainstay on Fritz the Nite Owl's show for years. His oeuvre is vast and varied, but the more Horror and Sci-Fi related material is well worth seeking out ("The Gnome" is a standout track that Fritz often featured.)

-It should go without saying, but John Carpenter's scores are legendary, and his two recent solo albums are also top notch. His collaborations with Alan Howarth are also great.

-There's a whole phalanx of great artists from the late 70s to 80's in the goth/doom rock field who have often populated Horror Marathon intermission playlists. You can't go wrong with The Cure, Bauhaus (guest stars in THE HUNGER!), Joy Division, and Siouxsie and the Banshees. On the more punkish side, The Damned's third and fourth album (MACHINE GUN ETIQUETTE and THE BLACK ALBUM) both feature some outstanding seasonal tracks; you'll often hear "Plan 9, Channel 7" and "Wait for the Blackout" during SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK.

-The Cramps are quite possibly the premiere psychobilly Horror rock band to ever grace this earth. Almost all their albums are worth exploring.

-As Tim mentioned, Alice Cooper remains a legend in the field. He's so famous that it can be easy for some to discount his greatness, but the catalog really holds up.

-The classic Hammer and AIP scores are always an evocative delight, especially the work of James Bernard.

-There are a whole slew of compilations featuring one hit wonders and 45 singles of Horror-related songs that range from doo-wop to rockabilly. Most of them are great fun.

Aaaaand there are probably many more, but I'll stop there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:53 am 

Any Halloween Carol from Bert Convy. He locked down the Halloween song market in the 50's and 60's.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:36 am 

While their entire catalogue isn't appropriate for Halloween, I find that if you grab any random song by The Cure, it'll help establish that spooky vibe.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:59 am 

not worldsfinest wrote:

Love these. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:02 am 

How could I forget THE MISFITS!! The most famous punk rock / horror band in history.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:05 am 

agentstinky wrote:
A newer one from one of my favorite bands that gives me a Halloween vibe:

They Might Be Giants - Aaa

Love the video.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:21 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
Another cool Halloween thread! Okay, here goes:

-Anything by the legendary Goblin. Their soundtrack work is duly revered, but standalone album ROLLER is also a favorite. As well, 4/5 of the original lineup (sans Claudio Simonetti) released a new album this year (FOUR OF A KIND) which is well worth checking out. If you like them, you should also check out Zombi, a band who is clearly in debt to the Italian masters.

-It's probably no secret 'round these parts, but The Alan Parsons Project's TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION has become one of my all-time favorite seasonal listens. Bombastic, melancholy, and atmospheric, it's a great conjuring of Edgar Allan Poe's work and a wonderful Halloween record.

-The late Isao Tomita was a mainstay on Fritz the Nite Owl's show for years. His oeuvre is vast and varied, but the more Horror and Sci-Fi related material is well worth seeking out ("The Gnome" is a standout track that Fritz often featured.)

-It should go without saying, but John Carpenter's scores are legendary, and his two recent solo albums are also top notch. His collaborations with Alan Howarth are also great.

-There's a whole phalanx of great artists from the late 70s to 80's in the goth/doom rock field who have often populated Horror Marathon intermission playlists. You can't go wrong with The Cure, Bauhaus (guest stars in THE HUNGER!), Joy Division, and Siouxsie and the Banshees. On the more punkish side, The Damned's third and fourth album (MACHINE GUN ETIQUETTE and THE BLACK ALBUM) both feature some outstanding seasonal tracks; you'll often hear "Plan 9, Channel 7" and "Wait for the Blackout" during SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK.

-The Cramps are quite possibly the premiere psychobilly Horror rock band to ever grace this earth. Almost all their albums are worth exploring.

-As Tim mentioned, Alice Cooper remains a legend in the field. He's so famous that it can be easy for some to discount his greatness, but the catalog really holds up.

-The classic Hammer and AIP scores are always an evocative delight, especially the work of James Bernard.

-There are a whole slew of compilations featuring one hit wonders and 45 singles of Horror-related songs that range from doo-wop to rockabilly. Most of them are great fun.

Aaaaand there are probably many more, but I'll stop there.

Great choices. I especially like Tales of Mystery and Imagination. Great stuff. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:25 am 

Worldsfinest wrote:
Any Halloween Carol from Bert Convy. He locked down the Halloween song market in the 50's and 60's.

I didn't know Bert Convy sang. I'm really digging the Monster Hop. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:27 am 

AEinhorn wrote:
While their entire catalogue isn't appropriate for Halloween, I find that if you grab any random song by The Cure, it'll help establish that spooky vibe.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:37 am 

Ghost wrote:
How could I forget THE MISFITS!! The most famous punk rock / horror band in history.

Wow, that's a jackpot! Dig Up Her Bones, Scream!, Helena, Die Die My Darling. A lot if great songs. Thanks.