The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

I'm Conal Cochran, and I approve this film lineup!

Following the intense speculation on another thread, here's the Official Film Schedule for this weekend's 8th Annual SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK. Enjoy!

NOON TOMB OF LIGEIA
1:50pm VAMPYR w/Live Music by SUE HARSHE
3:20pm The OHIO PREMIERE of BEYOND THE GATES
5:00pm Stephen Scarlata Q+A
5:35pm The 8th Annual Costume Contest
5:50pm THE DEVIL
8:20pm THE BOXER’S OMEN
10:15pm THE HUNGER
11:45pm The 8th Annual Scream Contest
12:00am The MIDWEST PREMIERE of WE ARE THE FLESH
2:00am The OHIO PREMIERE of NIGHT OF SOMETHING STRANGE
4:15am THE BROOD
6:15am THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS
8:30am HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH
10:30am THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD
NOON Presentation of SHOCK CERTIFICATES

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:31 pm 

About as expected. Thanks!

I think I might have preferred to see Night of Something Strange a little bit earlier, but on the other hand, I'm really glad to see The Devil at an awake hour.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:41 pm 

Can't wait, see you all there!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:09 pm 

Now that's a good schedule! Nothing to sleep through and a reason to stay until the end! Wish I could go!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:48 pm 

I look at this and it feels like Joe and Bruce saying, "You mooks said last year was deliberate? Oh yeah, well DELIBERATE ON THIS PUNKS!!!"

Lots to like about this layout. I too am jazzed that The Devil is at a reasonable hour since that's one of the ones I'm most eager to see. That three-headed monster at the end closes out strong.

The Brood holding down that 4 a.m. memorial Cronenberg spot. I love the film and will try to stay awake, but that's the most likely area where I'm going to struggle.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

not worldsfinest wrote:
I look at this and it feels like Joe and Bruce saying, "You mooks said last year was deliberate? Oh yeah, well DELIBERATE ON THIS PUNKS!!!"

You forgot "while throwing Official NIGHT OF THE LIVING BREAD Action Figures at us."

Once we booked WE ARE THE FLESH, we figured that NIGHT OF SOMETHING STRANGE would be a nice pick me up from the former film's more serious and disturbing tone. And yeah, scheduling THE DEVIL too late would be sorta counterproductive to anyone who wants to see it. Plus, it's the longest film in the lineup, so those who don't cotton to Zulawski's charms (and WHO would that be???) have a dinner break opportunity. VAMPYR had to go early, and TOMB would be a shame to waste in a super later time slot.

Most of all, we wanted to craft a second half (and, in particular, a final three) that would be a kickass ride down from the Midnight peak. Hope we've done that well enough.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:23 am 

Now that's how you make a schedule! Way better than the Chicago one in the "fine art" thread. We're lucky our marathon is in such good hands.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:56 am 

I would have liked for HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH to play around Midnight and THE BROOD at 4:15am is going to be rough but overall its a good schedule and I am super excited for this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:01 am 

scratch wrote:
Now that's how you make a schedule! Way better than the Chicago one in the "fine art" thread. We're lucky our marathon is in such good hands.

I feel spoiled complaining about Chicago's lineup like I do, but I've been going to these on and off since 1989 and have probably attended at least 40-50 marathons. If I didn't have 2 marathons here and a busy work schedule I'd skip Music Box this year and drive the 6 hours. The biggest thing the Chicago marathons lack though, is the trailers and shorts. Hopefully that will change this year, since, in addition to the bad scheduling, there are a couple of 40-50 minute breaks between films at the Music Box. That's marathon death at 5am...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:59 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
I'm Conal Cochran, and I approve this film lineup!

Following the intense speculation on another thread, here's the Official Film Schedule for this weekend's 8th Annual SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK. Enjoy!

NOON TOMB OF LIGEIA
1:50pm VAMPYR w/Live Music by SUE HARSHE
3:20pm The OHIO PREMIERE of BEYOND THE GATES
5:00pm Stephen Scarlata Q+A
5:35pm The 8th Annual Costume Contest
5:50pm THE DEVIL
8:20pm THE BOXER’S OMEN
10:15pm THE HUNGER
11:45pm The 8th Annual Scream Contest
12:00am The MIDWEST PREMIERE of WE ARE THE FLESH
2:00am The OHIO PREMIERE of NIGHT OF SOMETHING STRANGE
4:15am THE BROOD
6:15am THE PEOPLE UNDER THE STAIRS
8:30am HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH
10:30am THE RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD
Some time in the AFTERNOON Presentation of SHOCK CERTIFICATES

Joe - I made just one small adjustment to your schedule announcement!! :lol:

I keed, I keed. Solid lineup. I really like the homestretch starting with The Brood at 4:15.

The Boxer's Omen and the Hunger might be a good time for me to take a break and get a bite to eat but there are no complaints with this schedule at all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

Worldsfinest wrote:

HA! But hey, I'll remind you that we have a long-standing tradition of presenting certificates at Noon, no matter if the event is over or not. After all, that schedule doesn't say "Noon-Horror Marathon Ends"! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:49 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
Worldsfinest wrote:

HA! But hey, I'll remind you that we have a long-standing tradition of presenting certificates at Noon, no matter if the event is over or not. After all, that schedule doesn't say "Noon-Horror Marathon Ends"! :wink:

Fact

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:39 am 
Site Admin

Reposting from the Facebook page...

THREE DAYS OUT from SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK!!! Here are some logistical reminders for this weekend:

-PARKING! The opening of the Giant Eagle Market District next door to the Drexel has created a new parking lot behind their building. Please note, however, that their lot is currently for Gian Eagle customers ONLY. There's still Drexel parking directly behind the theater, and there will be ample parking on sidestreets. (PLEASE NOTE: The (Other) Columbus Marathon runs through Bexley on Sunday morning, so if you park on a side street pay attention to any signs that might signal a Sunday street closure.

-DOORS! This year, we're aiming to open the doors around 10:30am Saturday morning. This should give you more than enough time to get settled in the Drexel's luxurious new seats, patronize the concession stand, gnaw on your neighbor's brains, buy a coffee mug, and get ready for the round the clock insanity to come. It should also allow us to get our opening remarks/ranting out of the way from 11:45am to Noon.

-CAFFEINE! Did we say "buy a coffee mug"? Yes indeed, we'll once again be offering a snazzy commemorative coffee mug for the Horror Marathon. You can buy it from our merch table for $15. An additional $5 to the Drexel's concession stand will get you a wristband for unlimited coffee in said mug for the entirety of the event!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:36 pm 

MEATFETISH wrote:
The biggest thing the Chicago marathons lack though, is the trailers and shorts.

:shock: Wha?!?

The trailers are such a big part of the fun!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:58 am 

scratch wrote:
MEATFETISH wrote:
The biggest thing the Chicago marathons lack though, is the trailers and shorts.

:shock: Wha?!?

The trailers are such a big part of the fun!

You're not wrong, but they're not nearly as big a part of the experience for many of the other marathons.

One thing to remember is that a lot of those trailers and shorts come from Bruce's personal collection. Not all marathons are blessed with a host who has such a rich library of old trailers and shorts.

And if you're not used to all the trailers and shorts the way we are, you don't miss them. I've attended the CWRU Sci-Fi marathon four times over the past few years, and while they've been adding a few more here and there, they show very, very few trailers. Now what they do get to show, because of the resources they have on hand, are a ton of really old cartoon shorts, including a few that are ones you're unlikely to ever see included in official collections because of their racist or sexist messages.

But yeah, the trailers and shorts do add a lot to our particular marathons, and I'm really glad that Bruce puts so much work into curating those each year.