The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:16 pm 

Didn't attend the Columbus marathon so I'll review the Music Box of Horrors marathon I attended in Chicago instead.

Seven Footprints to Satan not a bad little silent film that had some similarities to The Game of all films. Nice organ accompaniment but otherwise forgettable.

Doctor Butcher MD Though I strongly believe this should've played at 2am instead of 2pm, it was a blast. Such a grindhouse classic and the 35mm print (Joe, Bruce remember for next year) was the perfect scratchy pink that the film deserves but not distractingly so. Definitely a highlight of the marathon.

Torso Surprisingly, I have only seen this once before and completely forgot the movie so it was like seeing it for the first time. A really nice 35mm print for such a sleazy movie. Typical slasher movie combined with the early 70's Italian giallo tropes with an amazingly beautiful cast getting naked and hacked up every 10 minutes or so. The film started to drag in the second half but overall a nice addition. Probably should've played in the middle of the night instead of 4pm though.

Raw Meat 35mm Director's Cut was a beautiful print but did have a couple sound issues. I've seen this a couple of times and I always want to like it more than I do. Donald Pleasence was great to watch but the movie seems to timid to really embrace its genre and grindhouse premise. Director Gary Sherman was interviewed by John McNaughton afterwards since they are both Chicago residents. Nice conversation by two directors who seem to have made peace with the fact they've been outsiders to the studio system.

Street Trash a gorgeous 35mm print for one of the sleaziest gore movies ever. It got very warm in the theater which added to the sweaty gross feeling the film gives its viewers. The director Jim Muro was in attendance and seemed to really enjoy seeing the film with an audience. He's since become a respected cinematographer and 2nd unit director which makes sense because Street Trash looks way better than it should. Funny side note: in 2010 I was a location assistant on the TV pilot for "Shameless" and he seemed embarrassed when I told him I was a big fan of Street Trash. Glad to see he enjoyed the screening.

Another Evil This premiere was another highlight for me. I knew nothing going in and it was introduced as a horror comedy about a ghost hunter. It started off hilarious and progressively went to some really dark territory. The cinematography was really flat and almost ruined the movie for me at first but by the end I was won over and thought about it a lot the next day.

Jeepers Creepers 2 was not a particularly good movie when it was released so we decided to walk around Wrigley Field after the NCLS victory. That was scary.

Halloween 3 Season of the Witch Probably the best movie that played here all weekend. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this bats**t movie starring Tom Atkins mustache. We got a scope 16mm print that was pretty decent. Good crowd reaction but was starting the thin out.

Eyes of Fire I really wanted to check this rare 35mm print of a movie I'd never seen before. Schedule said 4:30am but they played a 30 minute after school special about a friendly witch in the attic or some nonsense. It was painful and we had had enough and left.

The last 3 movies were Eye of the Cat (which I'd never seen but didn't look interesting), Popcorn (which I've never cared enough to revisit since I saw it in 1991), and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein which would've been fine at 3pm, but for a final movie you couldn't pay me to stay for that.

Overall a good marathon. The theater was definitely thinning out at 5am when I left. I appreciate it because I'm old and 7 more hours would've really hurt me, but I think it's nice to give people a reason to stick around. With all the best movies front loaded like that, maybe they just wanted the theater empty at 10am so they could clean it easier.