The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:43 pm 

So after watching last nights episode I was left wondering did "The Walking Dead" Go to far??? And the more I thought about it I came to the conclusion that Glen's death scene was to brutal for TV.

I have seen just about every blood soaked movie and TV show ever made but even I was cringing as Glen was trying to talk with one eye popped out and the top of his head shredded. It just wasn't necessary to kill off such a beloved character in such a horrific and unjustified way. I know they wanted us all to hate Negan but they could have accomplish that without the brutality that was bestowed upon poor Glen and Abraham for that matter.

There is nothing the Zombies can do that I would feel is to graphic for TV but the human on human aspect of it was to real and took me out of the fantasy zombie show mind frame and threw me into the unwanted reality of the world we live in.

I hope the producers don't feel the need to try and top themselves every season, it's not needed and really wasn't cool.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:11 pm 

To be fair, that scene & the injured Glenn (with eye popped out) trying to talk to Maggie is scene for scene from the graphic novel. Abe died in the comics by arrow through the eye, which Denise got a few episodes back. They wanted to give him a more honorable killing, taking it for the team so to speak.

Yes, it was brutal, but it is rated TV-MA & they had multiple warnings before & just before each commercial break return about scenes of intense violence & viewer discretion is advised. At the end of last season Negan did say what he was going to do, so what were people expecting to happen?

I remember much more brutal scenes & episodes on Sons of Anarchy than last nights episode of The Walking Dead.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:28 am 

I stopped watching THE WALKING DEAD at the end of Season 5, because I finally realized what this show is.

It's a long, drawn out, snuff film.

There isn't ever going to be a happy ending. There isn't ever a conclusion. Eventually, everyone dies, either at the hands of people worse than themselves, like the Governor or Negan, or by being careless and being eaten by a zombie. And sure, I can handle that in a movie, but for 22 hours per season? I get too attached to these characters only to know that their eventual fate is something horrible.

So, that said, despite not seeing it directly, or even being surprised by what happened, I actually think that the answer is "No, it didn't go too far."

If you're in for the ride of this show, it needs to be with the acknowledgment that everyone will die. Except Rick. And his death will happen in the last episode of the show.

Because as they told us explicitly in the first season, "We're the Walking Dead." This story isn't ultimately about zombies. The Zombie uprising is the event that sent the world into its collapse and downward spiral, and sure, zombies are always going to be a part of it and a background threat. But it isn't about zombies. It's about humanity, and our slow descent. The worst monsters on this show (and in the comics) has always been humans. Whether it's Shane, or the Governor, or the people of Alexandria, or Negan, the show is about what kind of monsters we can become when society isn't there to support us.

And honestly, most of the notable deaths in the series have come at the hands of humans, not the walkers. And when it is walkers who kill a major character, it's usually because a human allows them to.

So, no, I disagree with you. I don't think the show went too far. I think it went just far enough. It made you uncomfortable and upset, which honestly should be the way we react when someone gets their head bashed in with a baseball bat. I am personally in favor of horror that makes us squirm and feel upset with horrific acts. We shouldn't be desensitized to violence. And far too often, as fans, we cheer for the gory, horrible deaths that befall the protagonists (or antagonists) in horror films.

If the latest episode of THE WALKING DEAD made you upset? That tells me that they did something right.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:47 pm 

AEinhorn wrote:
If the latest episode of THE WALKING DEAD made you upset? That tells me that they did something right.

I have been looking at this several different ways and your conclusion is basically the same one I came to myself. Like you said in a 2 hour movie it doesn't matter who dies or how violent the death is but in a TV show that you invest time and energy into you become unnerved when someone that you have been rooting for the last 7 seasons is killed in such a brutal and unforgiving manner.

I watched the first 2 seasons of "Scream" on MTV and honestly I was surprised at what a fun show it was but again every time we meet a new character they are nothing more than a future victim and you can't maintain a show with that premise. Below is a great quote from Noah, one of the main stars of SCREAM:

"Noah Foster: Well, think about it: You know, girl and her friends arrive at the dance, the camp, deserted town, whatever. Killer takes them out one-by-one. Ninety minutes later, the sun comes up as survivor girl is sitting in the back of the ambulance watching her friends' bodies being wheeled past. Slasher movies burn bright and fast. TV needs to stretch things out. You know, by the time the first body is found, it's only a matter of time before the bloodbath commences."

So at-least SCREAM is acknowledging any TV show based on a Slasher film is going to be a limited run.

I still like The Walking Dead but now more than ever I see the characters as nothing more than future victims.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:05 pm 

I bailed after season 3. Similar to Sr. Einhorn, there just wasn't a lot there there to keep me engaged. It's a delivery mechanism for 1) misery and 2) gory violence. I'm fine with both in manageable doses (like, say, a movie). An ongoing TV show is a big commitment though and I couldn't do it after 3 seasons. Couldn't find anyone to really care for (and the few I liked I knew/know would be dead meat eventually). Plus characters were too inconsistent -- morons when the plot needed it, clever when the plot needed it. I know it's good escapist entertainment for so, so many, but I just couldn't do it.

And ON topic: Screencaps I saw were pretty groddy. Hard to look at in the case of Glenn who was around back when I used to watch.