The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

A DUSK TO DAWN EXPLOSION OF SLASHERIFFIC TERROR!

A gaggle of nubile, screaming teens! A deranged, bloodthirsty Santa Claus! The ultimate cinematic boogeyman! Yes, they’ll all be there at 10pm, Saturday August 19th at the Drexel Theater (2254 E. Main St.) for SLASH-O-RAMA, a shock-drenched all-‘80s, all-slasher, all-nighter! In honor of one of the most memorable decades of horror, we’ve re-christened our annual SHOCK-O-RAMA Horror Marathon kickoff event and filled it with enough knife-wielding homicidal maniacs to keep you nightmare juices flowing long after the final reel! This all-night excursion into day-glo terror includes:

-Wes Craven’s iconic classic A NIGHTMARE ON ELM ST., the birthplace of the legendary man of your worst dreams, Freddy Krueger!
-The most notorious slasher film of the era, the ultra-sleazy killer Santa epic SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT (in glorious 35mm!)
-Scream Queen Brinke Stevens in Amy Holden Jones’s feminist slasher send-up SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE!
-The pre-eminent backward-masking, Satanic panic slasher classic TRICK OR TREAT (in glorious 35mm!)
-The gore-soaked Canadian revenge opus MY BLOODY VALENTINE!

PLUS!
-The EXCLUSIVE ANNOUNCEMENT of the film lineup for this fall’s 9th Annual SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK 24-Hour Horror Marathon (October 14-15)!
-A mammoth History of ‘80s Horror 35mm trailer show throughout the evening!
-Win prizes and glory in our ‘80s Horror Costume Contest!
-Two free Drexel tickets and two free popcorn coupons to all who survive the entire night!

Tickets for this unholy undertaking are $20, and can be purchased FRIDAY JUNE 16th at Laughing Ogre Comics (4258 N. High St.), the Drexel Theater (2254 E. Main St.), or via PayPal at http://www.horrormarathon.com! It’s a mid-summer horror extravaganza like no other!

Post subject: !
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:40 pm 

Very Excited for this event. Bring on the Slasher Goodness!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:07 am 

Ordered my ticket last night! My Toledo peeps are coming down for this also!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:30 pm 

This is the same weekend as GenCon, so I don't know that I can make it - but I am deeply tempted to come out Saturday night when I get home.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:13 pm 

I think I'm going to come down for this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:48 pm 

Ticket purchased. Do we have an approximate endtime for this? 6 am? 8am? 10am?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:02 pm 
Site Admin

cleazer wrote:
Ticket purchased. Do we have an approximate endtime for this? 6 am? 8am? 10am?

Five films of around 90 minutes each, plus all the trailers and other happenings, means we'll hopefully be finishing up around 8am or so.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:55 am 
Site Admin

So the running order for SLASH-O-RAMA is tentatively set as:

NIGHTMARE ON ELM ST.
SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE
SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT (in 35mm!)
TRICK OR TREAT (in 35mm!)
MY BLOODY VALENTINE

The SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK preview reel will play in-between NIGHTMARE and SLUMBER PARTY. Tickets for SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK will be on sale at SLASH-O-RAMA, with an official on-sale date of Monday August 21st.

The History of the '80s 35mm trailer show will run in segments throughout the evening.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:01 pm 

Excellent! Can't wait! Are the tickets for Shock Around the Clock $40?

Joe Neff wrote:
So the running order for SLASH-O-RAMA is tentatively set as:

NIGHTMARE ON ELM ST.
SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE
SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT (in 35mm!)
TRICK OR TREAT (in 35mm!)
MY BLOODY VALENTINE

The SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK preview reel will play in-between NIGHTMARE and SLUMBER PARTY. Tickets for SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK will be on sale at SLASH-O-RAMA, with an official on-sale date of Monday August 21st.

The History of the '80s 35mm trailer show will run in segments throughout the evening.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Farva wrote:

Yes! $40 in advance, $45 at the door.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:22 pm 

Thank you! See you Saturday!

Joe Neff wrote:
Farva wrote:

Yes! $40 in advance, $45 at the door.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

It's time for the Annual Red Meat Tossing to the Horror Marathon Crowd! Yep, some hints about a few of the SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK titles that'll be announced this Saturday at SLASH-O-RAMA. I know that some of you don't do the Facebook thing, so here are the hints I just posted on the event page ovah dey:

-An underrated film from an underrated genre favorite that could very well have made the cut for SLASH-O-RAMA. It's one we've been wanting to show for years.

-And speaking of something we've wanted to show for years...a highly enjoyable romp that should be fun with this audience. While the director is not well-known, another member of the crew has a strong connection to the Marathons that you might not expect.

-An atmospheric classic that has never shown at a Columbus Horror Marathon...which, quite frankly, surprises the hell out of us. But hey, we're more than happy to correct that slight!

-A stone cold classic that jump started the career of a veteran actor and has been highly influential since its release.

-The most divisive film in this lineup. But one which will be of great interest to a good chunk of Nightmarathoids.

Have at it! Let the guessing and wild speculation commence!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:07 pm 

I actually got one of the clues right!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:25 am 

not worldsfinest wrote:
I actually got one of the clues right!

#witness...

A few thoughts on Slash-O-Rama...first off, great event. Much more low key than the 24 hour which was really great, considering I have a 1 year old at home who wanted to play with daddy when I immediately arrived. I told my wife this is all prep work for October. On to the movies...

NOES - Big fan. Liked that there was documentary crew in attendance. I'm not really sure if Craven meant for some of the moments to be funny but maybe it's just as time has passed, things seem a little more lighthearted.

SPM - Felt like this was exactly what it was supposed to be, although you can certainly see the Roger Corman touch. I remember seeing this video box at Rent-A-Flick and Startime Video growing up and always thought the drill was super scary...I was wrong.

SN, DN - CATHOLIC GUILT! CATHOLIC! For all the hype and "controversy" I was a bit let down. don't get me wrong, the print itself was pretty good and maybe I've become desensitized over the years. There were some pretty good laughs, which I think were unintentional but none the less, lives up to it's billing as a slasher but not the controversy.

Trick or Treat - Slept through this one since it played at the SATC a few years ago.

My Bloody Valentine - I first saw this about a year ago on Netflix and was excited to see it on the big screen and it didn't disappoint.

Bruce did another great job on the trailer reels, and the SOTC reveal was great as well. Looking forward to several of the titles in October. Once again, thanks for putting this on.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:54 pm 

This really was a great event. The lineup of movies really worked well.

I've always spoken out heavily in favor of the diversity of the 24-hour events, but the 80's slasher era is a corner of the genre than many of us really hold close to our hearts. [insert My Bloody Valentine pic]

Good luck trying to top it next year.