The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shorts
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:01 am 

I know that the Sci-Fi marathon has shorts that resurface year after year.

Duck Dodgers
Gravity
Spaceboy

Are there any shorts that resurface year after year for the Horror marathon? If not, can you think of any that would play well?

Post subject: Re: Shorts
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:28 pm 

Well, there's Night of the Living Bread.

I think the hard part is that, in general, horror (not gore, but actual horror) seems to take more build-up than translates well into "shorts." Sci-Fi can capture you with the "Oh wow," factor in a few frames. But horror needs to make you care about the victims, and then take time to make you scared before the bad things start happening.

So, I think that fundamentally, the horror short is a more difficult proposition.

Last edited by AEinhorn on Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:33 pm 

That said...

There are some real gems here that I'd love to see make an appearance, some of which I think could end up being ones that people ask for year after year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:16 pm 

As mentioned, the Bread films are all good.

I also liked that one Legend of Beaver Dam short about a bunch of scouts at a campfire.
I wouldn't mind if that was played again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:29 am 

Tim Burton's original Frankenweenie short is always played. I'm on an island but I can honestly do without the Bread shorts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

Geez, whodathunk that a shorts discussion would be what would at least temporarily revive the message board? Truly, wonders never cease.

Aaron makes a good point about the tonal differences between Horror and Sci-Fi shorts. Timing has also been a factor in the somewhat lesser amount of shorts at the Horror Marathon. We always have a ton of Horror trailers to play, often rarities or obscurities that Bruce has recently acquired. Adding the Scream Contest also takes up more time than we budget. Since many Horror films are shorter, on average, than Sci-Fi films, we tend to play 12-13 features. And hey, laziness has also probably played a factor.

Other Horror Marathon shorts that I can remember include:

-The grotesque FOLLOW THE SUN snack bar parody that has played to a warm reception the last few years
-A Warner Brothers cartoon here and there, although we always talk about making one or two of these a regular part of the rotation
-The BETTY BOOP Minnie the Moocher cartoon that's played a few times

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:26 am 

Joe Neff wrote:
Geez, whodathunk that a shorts discussion would be what would at least temporarily revive the message board? Truly, wonders never cease.

Aaron makes a good point about the tonal differences between Horror and Sci-Fi shorts. Timing has also been a factor in the somewhat lesser amount of shorts at the Horror Marathon. We always have a ton of Horror trailers to play, often rarities or obscurities that Bruce has recently acquired. Adding the Scream Contest also takes up more time than we budget. Since many Horror films are shorter, on average, than Sci-Fi films, we tend to play 12-13 features. And hey, laziness has also probably played a factor.

Other Horror Marathon shorts that I can remember include:

-The grotesque FOLLOW THE SUN snack bar parody that has played to a warm reception the last few years
-A Warner Brothers cartoon here and there, although we always talk about making one or two of these a regular part of the rotation
-The BETTY BOOP Minnie the Moocher cartoon that's played a few times

In some cases, the horror trailers are so long, they feel like a short.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:52 am 
Site Admin

I've got a fair number of Horror themed shorts that could show up sometime, but as Joe suggests - with upwards of 12+ features there often isn't a ton of time in the schedule.

Joe sneaks some interesting things into the Intermissions but as he and I have both noted that venue often doesn't do them justice. Plus (other than BREAD) there haven't been as many immediate crowd favorites (ala GRAVITY.)

But you never know when something interesting is going to pop up. Just have to keep going to find out. ;)