The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

In case you missed our announcement on Sunday, here's the official film lineup for this year's 10th Annual SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK (October 13th-14th at the Drexel Theatre). It's also the 30th Anniversary of the Ohio 24-Hour Horror Marathon, so we'll be rolling out vintage footage, memorabilia, and other sorts of fun associated with this dual celebration. The films in this round the clock excursion into fright include:

-The OHIO PREMIERE of LUZ, the hypnotic demonic-possession shocker that has been wowing audiences on the festival circuit, and is set to have its U.S. Premiere at this year’s Fantastic Fest. The debut feature from German director Tillman Singer, it’s the story of a young cab-driver and her terror-filled night in a run-down police station. Birth Movies Death calls it “A stunning debut”, and Slash/Film lauds it as “daring, unconventional, and downright demonic.”

-The MIDWEST PREMIERE of CRYSTAL EYES, a delirious tribute to Italian horror cinema from Argentinian directors Ezequiel Endelman and Leandro Montejano. In 1985 Buenos Aires, the one year anniversary of the death of an eccentric supermodel triggers a new wave of brutal slayings. With style to spare and a twisted sense of humor, CRYSTAL EYES nods to the best work of Mario Bava, Dario Argento, and Sergio Martino.

-The MIDWEST PREMIERE of HAGAZUSSA: A HEATHEN’S CURSE. In the vein of such recent hits as THE WITCH, director Lukas Feigelfeld’s period piece shocker is soaked in atmospheric dread, as spiritual horrors run rampant in 15th century Europe. The Hollywood Reports calls it “A spooky, stylish, spellbinding debut”, and Birth Movies Death praises it as “Visually stunning…a nightmarish slow burn.”

-George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino in the Tarantino-penned, Robert Rodriguez-directed vampire/road movie romp FROM DUSK TILL DAWN! With an all-star cast including Harvey Keitel, Juliette Lews, Salma Hayek, and genre stalwarts Fred “The Hammer” Williamson, Tom Savini, Danny Trejo, and Cheech Marin!

-David Lynch’s nightmarish, mind-bending, modern classic LOST HIGHWAY! Or as Lynch himself called it “A 21st Century Noir Horror Film. A graphic investigation into parallel identity crises. A world where time is dangerously out of control. A terrifying ride down the lost highway.”With Bill Pullman and Patricia Arquette, and in brain-melting w i d e s c r e e n Panavision!

-The gorgeous new 4K restoration of Dario Argento’s uber-stylish proto slasher DEEP RED, in an extended cut never before released in the U.S! In blood-soaked w i d e s c r e e n Techniscope!

-Sam Neill, Charlton Heston, and Jurgen Prochnow in John Carpenter’s skin-crawling Lovecraftian tour de force IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS! In senses-shattering w i d e s c r e e n Panavision!

-Deborah Kerr in Jack Clayton’s marvelously creepy THE INNOCENTS! Truman Capote adapts Henry James’s “The Turn of the Screw” for the big screen in one of the most frightening cinematic ghost stories of all time. Featuring gorgeous BLACK AND WHITE w i d e s c r e e n CinemaScope photography by the legendary Freddie Francis!

-In honor of her return to the genre, a rare screening of Horror icon Jamie Lee Curtis in the Canuxploitation slasher favorite TERROR TRAIN!

-A 35mm screening of special effects maestro Stan Winston’s directorial debut, the atmospheric monster revenge film PUMPKINHEAD! Starring beloved genre icon Lance Henriksen!

-Scream Queen Linnea Quigley in the 1988 demons run amok on Halloween gore classic NIGHT OF THE DEMONS! In glorious 35mm!

-Michael (DEATH WISH) Winner’s utterly deranged Nancy Drew goes to Hell 1984 slasher thriller SCREAM FOR HELP!

PLUS!
-Coffinloads of 35mm trailers and shorts!
-The 10th Annual Costume Contest (with $100 First Prize!)
-The 10th Annual Scream Contest
-Rare footage and memorabilia from 30 years of Ohio 24-Hour Horror Marathons
-And more surprises!

Tickets for SHOCK AROUND THE CLOCK are on sale at the Drexel Theatre (2254. E. Main St./cash or charge), Laughing Ogre Comics (4258 N. High St./cash only) or via PayPal at http://www.horrormarathon.com. Advance tix are $40, with a bump to $45 the day of show (if there are any left.) Reserve your place now for what promises to be a landmark night of terror!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:39 am 

Man, this looks great and, regrettably, I will be missing the 'Thon for the first time since 2004. With the birth of my twin girls (yes, twins) in June, leaving my wife with 2 4 month-old and a two-year-old, probably wouldn't leave me in good standings!

Hopefully, I can make it back for 2019 but, again, this list looks awesome and there are so many I want to see or see again (Deep Red). Well done, Joe!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:32 pm 

Our 3 tickets have been pruchased and we are totally looking forward to this.

Really solid looking lineup with that desired mix of fun, serious, old, new, etc.

Will the schedule be out this weekend?