The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:15 pm 

Ok, I just got back from seeing HALLOWEEN and I caught on to a funny inside joke by Rob Zombie that some of you may have overlooked. In the opening scene we hear GOD OF THUNDER by KISS (1976) this is when Michael was a little boy so we know it's at least 1976, than 17 years later Michael escapes so the year is atleast 1991 and Linda is wearing a SLAYER shirt, ok this would have been atleast a year after SLAYER released Seasons in the Abyss and a year before Grunge took over when Alice in Chains releasded Dirt in (1991)and Nirvana Released Nevermind (1991). So this would suggest we are in the early 1990's BUT during a sex scene the teens are listening to Alice Cooper's Only Women Bleed from (1975) and several times the teens listen to B.O.C. Don't Fear the Reaper which was on AGENTS OF FORTUNE in (1976), I personally find it hard to believe that teens in the early 1990's would be getting it on the oldies rock station. Than the biggest one of all is Dr. Loomis buys a handgun and leaves the store with it so knowing The Brady Bill required purchasers to wait up to five days for a background check to occur before purchasing a handgun was passed in 1993 than this movie must take before 1993 but after 1991 before grung took over which was late 1991 early 1992 SO.... making this movie take place on the eve of the death to REAL METAL must be an inside joke for Rob Zombie who must HATE grunge the way any true METAL fan does!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

Tim, I think you may have just achieved godhood on this board. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:22 am 

upon my second viewing (yes I saw HALLOWEEN twice yesterday, not because I liked it but because a friend wanted to go so I tagged along for the hell of it) I noticed one of the old black and white movies they were watching on TV was "WHITE ZOMBIE" and La Sexorcisto Devil Music Volume One was released in 1992 making WHITE ZOMBIE the only true metal band to survive the Grunge wars. I know someone out there is thinking "what about Metallica" to that person/persons I say you obviously don't know anything about metal so go listen to your simple, top 40, pop metal diddies and leave real metal to the big boys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:24 am 

Well said!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:11 am 

Tim,

Un Freakin Believable! Outstanding work and thanks for the nod to real metal. You have hit the proverbial nail on the head with your insights!

I have not yet been able to catch the new Halloween flick (I have a 5 month old daughter at home and work about 10 hours a day--nuff said). I am however a huge Rob Zombie fan as a director. Saw both House of 1000 Corpses AND Devils Rejects opening night. Unlike the cheap Hollywood exploits of retelling/remaking classic films that should not be touched, I think from what I've seen Rob did a great job with his version of a classic.

You mention that kids should leave the real metal to the big boys...I believe that and also believe Hollywood should leave horror movie remakes (if they should even be done!) to the big boys as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:59 pm 

Well that and in the scene of the teens getting it on in the early 90's when the boyfriend went downstairs to raid the fridge, The girlfriend had a very nice compact flip phone lol.....
But the opening scene with God Of Thunder was awesome...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I just got back from finally seeing this.......

Now let me preface this by saying that I liked House of 1000 Corpses and thought that Devil's Rejects was a truly harrowing examination of derangement and the effect of screen violence on an audience. Played together, they're a neat trick: the former is the family's story from their warped perspective, the latter a brutal b-side that exposes all the glamorized carnage of the first for the acts of depravity they truly are. They convinced me that Rob has some chops as a filmmaker and could have a promising career ahead.

Which makes his take on Halloween all the more frustrating. Yes, there are flashes of brilliance throughout. When Loomis is speaking at his book reading, the cut from the blowup of Michael to his own eyes when he references a psychopath is inspired. And the exploration of Michael's mask obsession is interesting.

And it would've been even more interesting if Zombie hadn't chosen to completely (pardon the pun) bludgeon the audience with the device. His screenwriting skills seem to be stuck in neutral, as he relies on more stock white trash characters to fill in the margins of the story, their dialogue horribly stilted while it tries to be gritty and authentic. Giving Michael such an unredeemable family does nothing for his character; you're hit over the head with their cartoonish repellence right off the bat, as the film gives you no chance to attach to anyone.

The first half is an interesting concept, but once Zombie fastforwards fifteen years it's like he feels obligated to rush through the highlights of the original film. I enjoyed Scout-Taylor Compton's verve as Laurie, but I knew almost nothing about her before the carnage began. Part of the beauty of the original is that the audience gets to live with Laurie a bit before all hell slowly breaks loose. Trying to make Michael the quasi-protagonist is a major misstep, as it reduces most of the other characters to cyphers (and not even Charles Cyphers!), helpless passengers on the meat train.

Malcolm McDowell as Loomis? Well, there was a potentially interesting slant on the character, but we're only given glimpses of his megalomania and failed obsession. Perhaps if Zombie had included more of his character development and less bathroom scenes with Ken Foree things would've turned out better. Even though I hate most of the original's sequels, I've always enjoyed how they develop Loomis's mad fixation, transforming him from a slightly off hero in the original to a driven maniac by his last turn as the character. This version should've been about Michael and Loomis and their twisted bond, but that didn't happen.

Oh well. At least it wasn't the Dawn of the Dead remake. I'll close on a positive (or at least funny) note with this pertinent link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxI83FQ0gW8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:57 pm 

I need to change my BVD's...that YouTube clip is freakin hilarious!