The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:10 am 

I just ordered 2 new MGM Midnight Movies on DVD

Witchfinder General (1968)
Tales From the Crypt / Vault of Horror (Double Feature) (1972)

3 Great movies on 2 DVD's!!!

I will give a review of the DVD's once I get them. Witchfinder General AKA THE CONQUERER WORM is a disturbing look at the witch trials, Bruce and Joe Treated marathon goers to this great film a few years back. Same with Tales From the Crypt, were they at the same marathon? After 20 years of marathons they all start to run together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:21 pm 

Just received the 'Chosen Survivors/The Earth Dies Screaming' two pack in the mail today from Amazon. :)

For more info on all the Midnite Movie releases that came out on the 11th check out the 'Tons of Sci-fi DVD goodness thread!' in the Where Was The Kaboom forum. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

usinoh wrote:
I will give a review of the DVD's once I get them. Witchfinder General AKA THE CONQUERER WORM is a disturbing look at the witch trials, Bruce and Joe Treated marathon goers to this great film a few years back. Same with Tales From the Crypt, were they at the same marathon? After 20 years of marathons they all start to run together.

Yes, indeed, The Witchfinder General (under its US title The Conqueror Worm) and Tales From the Crypt both screened at the 1st edition of NIGHTMARE AT STUDIO 35, way back in the pre-2-HEADED MARATHON era of 1999.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:52 am 

Yeah,I got a huge box of goodies last week from DeepDiscount.com and I think I'm setting my own trend since Best Buy and others aren't getting my stuff every week I'm putting in sometimes $150 orders EVERY week. I get an excellent(lowest)price,free shipping and no travel. I love it and it beats driving all around Columbus to be disappointed.
Make sure you get the Elvira's Movie Macabre discs coming Sept.25th. Stuff like The House That Screamed,Gamera Super Monster,etc. appearing anywhere for the first time.
Although Fox and MGM are doing great with a nice slew of Midnite Movies discs I was still hoping for more. I'm still expecting The Green Slime,Jennifer,Blood and Lace,Navy vs. The Night Monsters,etc.
I'm pretty impressed with BCI's Welcome to the Grindhouse series although they should pick up a few more obscurities. I mean they released Isis out of nowhere. Who's to say they can't release Slithis or Zaat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:47 am 

I loves me some Amicus Horror! Can't wait to pick up TALES/VAULT.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:58 pm 

usinoh wrote:
I just ordered 2 new MGM Midnight Movies on DVD

Witchfinder General (1968)
Tales From the Crypt / Vault of Horror (Double Feature) (1972)

3 Great movies on 2 DVD's!!!

Well I got Witchfinder General and Tales From the Crypt / Vault of Horror (Double Feature) I have not had time to watch Witchfinder General yet but I am upset that Vault of Horror is EDITED!!!!

First let me say this was a cool movie, I had never seen it before (Joe and Bruce This would play Great at a Marathon) but it didn't take long for me to notice it was a poorly edited version, I proved my suspitions online where lots of fans are upset at MGM for doing this. On one hand its cool of MGM to release titles like these but come on how hard is it to release a theatrical or unrated print??

But other than that the print quality on both films is great, both are in Widescreen and all in all well worth the cost.

Below are email address I found to complain to Fox:

Katja.Morelli@fox.com
sharon.allum@fox.com
simon.bligh@fox.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:52 am 

DAGNABBIT! I have the disc, but haven't had a chance to pop it in and watch it. Ah well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:55 pm 

Here is the official word from fox:

Hello,

Vault of Horror (1973) was originally released as an R-Rated film but was later re-cut to get a PG rating. This re-cut version is the only version owned by 20th Century Fox. When developing the DVD, we did research information about an uncut print which was released theatrically but after several attempts, we were unsuccessful in securing a copy of that print. To satisfy the consumer demand for the title on DVD, we decided to move forward with the widescreen PG version we had in the vaults and included it with Tales from the Crypt (1972) as part of the Midnite Movies Double Feature series.

Thank you

Fox Consumer Services

I am willing to bet Bruce could come up with a UNCUT Print!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:25 pm 

It appears that there is an uncut release of the film in the UK, but it's pan and scan.

As for Fox saying they don't own the R-rated version, I call bullshit. According to the IMDB (which I know isn't 100% reliable) the R-rated version was also released theatrically in the US. It wasn't until it came out on video that it was cut. Fox probably means that the only print they had was the cut version.

Anyway, it's still a fun movie, even in it's truncated form.