The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:51 pm 

Every year at the Horror Marathons I look for a trailer or slide for a Horror Movie I have never seen and 2 that stuck out in recent years were Beyond the Fog AKA Tower of Evil and From Beyond the Grave and both are now available on DVD!!

"From Beyond the Grave" is a typical horror anthology from Amicus.It's not very scary or frightening,but it still manages to raise a few chills and a few thrills.Cushing's performance as a creepy shopkeeper is simply fantastic.All the stories are intelligent,well-written and seriously memorable. Four tales of terror revolving around an antique store owned by the grim-looking Peter Cushing where various characters secure objects without paying the correct price with possible doom awaiting them.

Take my word on this…Tower of Evil is a MUST SEE if you're an admirer of raw, vicious and undiscovered horror. This film is so much fun I can't believe I just found out about it now! It's cheap and nasty, but very imaginative and spirited! Tower of Evil is appropriately set on a deserted island, carrying many secrets. After discovering the mutilated corpses of 3 teenagers and one severely traumatized survivor, an expedition team is sent to the island. An older sailor and a young handsome stud, both obviously keeping a few secrets hidden, guide the team. But the members of the expedition are more dealing with sexual intrigues and relational problems anyway. They encounter a savage caveman, severely decomposed human leftovers and authentic hidden treasures! Yay!! Horror with a twitch of adventure! The plot of `Tower of Evil' isn't exactly solid or logical, but director O'Connolly manages to create suspense nonetheless. Due to the isolated and raw location of the Snape Island, you feel trapped there along with the main characters. For the fans of typical 70's horror, there are several gruesome moments to enjoy as well as some ultra-sexy sleaziness. For example, one of the main actresses constantly wears a bikini-top, which ranks as one of the hottest ones since Raquel Welsh's in `One Billion Years B.C.'. `Tower of Evil' is a true gem of the ignored horror vaults and real fans can't afford to miss it!

*Reviews found in IMDB - I agree with them but didn't write them.

Last edited by Jaws3dfan on Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:00 am 

FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE is the last Amicus anthology film. It has a different director than the others, but is still a solid film. I've not seen the other. I'll have to check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:08 pm 

geekzapoppin wrote:
FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE is the last Amicus anthology film. It has a different director than the others, but is still a solid film. I've not seen the other. I'll have to check it out.

How many anthology films did Amicus make? Monster Club came out in 1980, it wasn't great but it was probably their true last one although FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE was way better.

You should check out Beyond the Fog (DVD title is Tower of Evil) it's very good..Marathon Worthy!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:10 pm 

MONSTER CLUB wasn't Amicus, officially. Amicus had ceased to exist by that time. It was, however, produced by Milton Subotsky who was the man behind Amicus and directed by Roy Ward Baker who helmed several Amicus films. It also has its stories based on R. Chetwynd Hayes like FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE. That's why it is so often confused with the other Amicus titles. It's a great flick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:32 pm 

geekzapoppin wrote:
MONSTER CLUB wasn't Amicus, officially. Amicus had ceased to exist by that time. It was, however, produced by Milton Subotsky who was the man behind Amicus and directed by Roy Ward Baker who helmed several Amicus films. It also has its stories based on R. Chetwynd Hayes like FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE. That's why it is so often confused with the other Amicus titles. It's a great flick.

Interesting, so the anthology films that Amicus made are:

Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965)
Torture Garden (1967)
The House That Dripped Blood (1971)
Tales from the Crypt (1972)
Asylum (1972)
From Beyond the Grave (1973)
The Vault of Horror (1973)
The Monster Club (1980) (sort of)

Last edited by Jaws3dfan on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:58 pm 

Quote:
Take my word on this…Tower of Evil is a MUST SEE

I found the DVD - from Elite...right? Is it 16x9 (anamorphic)? Couldn't find it on Netflix, so I might just have to buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:59 am 

carter9000 wrote:
Quote:
Take my word on this…Tower of Evil is a MUST SEE

I found the DVD - from Elite...right? Is it 16x9 (anamorphic)? Couldn't find it on Netflix, so I might just have to buy it.

Yes this is an Elite DVD and is in 16x9 (anamorphic) it also includes the Trailer. In my opinion this DVD is well worth the buy!!

My From beyond the grave DVD arrived today, I can't wait to watch it tonight when it's dark out!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:30 am 

Got my AMICUS BOX SET yesterday, can't wait to watch it this weekend!!

Last edited by Jaws3dfan on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:56 am 

My family and I watched Asylum, From Beyond the Grave and The Monster Club last week on our 100 inch projection big screen (it's not the Drexel, but for a home viewing system it rocks). I originally saw all 3 in during their theatrical releases many years ago (I am a Roy Ward Baker and Amicus fanboy), and the humor and horror of the films are still effective (even if the 70's and 80's fasions have come and gone).

My 12 year old daughter and I spent the next few days singing one of the songs from The Monster Club repeatedly (much to the dismay of my wife). If you haven't seen the performance of "I'm Just a Sucker for Your Love", then a viewing of the film is worth it if only for that reason alone. :twisted:

http://geeksanddorks.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:13 pm 

after watching TRICK R TREAT I needed to revive this thread.

I need to plan a weekend to watch my AMICUS BOX SET and a few other horror anthologies like CREEPSHOW and TRICK R TREAT, I also need THE OFFSPRING (aka From a Whisper to a Scream) and NIGHTMARES

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:35 am 

TRICK R TREAT was fantastic! As an Amicus fanboy, myself, it was a great throwback to the anthology films of yore. WB is out of their minds for not releasing it in theaters whilst promoting the hell out of crappy remakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:06 pm 

geekzapoppin wrote:
TRICK R TREAT was fantastic! As an Amicus fanboy, myself, it was a great throwback to the anthology films of yore. WB is out of their minds for not releasing it in theaters whilst promoting the hell out of crappy remakes.

I totally agree. WB thought that 15 kids was to many to kill but who cares, it was a great movie and deserved a much bigger release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:18 pm 

Does Tales From the Crypt (1972) have anything to do with the old E.C Comic Book?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:40 pm 

willcail wrote:
Does Tales From the Crypt (1972) have anything to do with the old E.C Comic Book?

YES!! Tales From the Crypt (1972) was the first adaptation of E.C.'s most popular and beloved comic book. These tales were taken straight out of the original panels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:55 pm 

There is also VAULT OF HORROR, but it's only available in edited form in the US for some reason.