The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Near Dark Remake
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:45 am 

There is going to be a Near Dark Remake.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34276

Post subject: Re: Near Dark Remake
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:53 am 

Son_of_Zardoz wrote:
There is going to be a Near Dark Remake.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34276

They even mention THE BROOD is getting a remake in the article...

Some remakes are GREAT for example JOHN CARPENTER'S THE THING, don't get me wrong Howard Hawks' The Thing from Another World is a SCI-FI Classic but JOHN CARPENTER'S THE THING is a freakin masterpiece and a perfect example of how to do a remake, same goes for the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

In recent times there have been a few good and a few GOD AWFUL remakes. I thought HOUSE OF WAX was good mainly because it wasn't a true remake it only shared the same name as the Classic Vincent Price film but it certainly did not modernize the original for a new audience it was a completly different movie with no similarities at all to the original so I was able to give it a pass. But THE FOG is the best example on how NOT to do a remake, they took a great adult Ghost story and turned it into a horrible, romantic teen movie that was so boring you can't even watch the whole thing.

As for the DAWN OF THE DEAD remake, I put it in the same category as HOUSE OF WAX, there really was nothing about it that reminded me of the original, if they would have released it under a different name I might have thought "hmmm it's in a mall like Dawn of the dead" but that would have been about as much of a connection I would have made.

Than we come to HALLOWEEN.....I hate to say anything bad because I think ROB ZOMBIE is Awesome, his movies and his Music but HALLOWEEN was well...not good..sorry Rob..it just didn't have the feel of the original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:28 pm 

"Not good."

You, sir, are a generous human being.

Frankly, I don't think that anyone will remember much of the current horror output in ten years because THEY'RE ALL REMAKES! There are a few original films like THE DESCENT and THE HOST that are super awesome and original, but you'll notice that neither of those is a Hollywood film. I don't think I've seen a major studio horror film in the last five years that is worth a damn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:49 pm 

geekzapoppin wrote:
"Not good."

You, sir, are a generous human being.

Trust me when I say that was purely out of respect for Rob Zombie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:56 pm 

They need to do a remake of SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER, they can set it in the 90's during the grunge era (The Disco of our time) they can call the movie "SATURDAY NIGHT SUCKS JUST LIKE EVERY OTHER DAY I AM SO DEPRESED I WISH I WAS DEAD"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:22 pm 

Halloween the remake... I didn't hate it as much as I thought. It's an alright slasher movie on it's own right (if the original didn't exist). Maybe if I saw it again I'd hate it as much as everyone else. But I think everyone should be able to agree that it was much better than any Halloween 9 could have been. The worst remake so far though is Black Christmas for me. That was simply incomprehensible as a movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:24 pm 

I actually like the Halloween remake much more than I thought I would. Yes, it is flawed. Yes, it is not great, but if you forget the original then the movie is not that bad.

There were basically 3 movies. Michael Meyers as a teen, Michael in the asylum, and Michael on the loose. The first 2 parts were completely new...more of a prequel than a remake. The third part I felt was the weakest because it tried to essentially remake the original. I kept finding myself thinking....yeah, yeah, yeah...I know this part because I have seen the original. The beginning 1/2 was at least new.

I also appreciate that Rob Zombie had his own take on it and it wasn't a rehash. Personally I think he should have just made his own movie. Take off the second half and rewrite it and change the names and you have a whole different movie.

Anyway, by no means do I think this film touches the original, but on it's own it isn't that bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:31 am 

I can say that Rob Zombie's Halloween was better than II and Res. If there is a part two I hope Danielle Harris make a cameo so she will match Jamie Lee record.

Don't forget that there are other non remakes of horror flicks. Death Proof, Terror Planet, and Wolf Creek are good fun. There is the so bad it's funny horror flick Flight of the Living Dead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_of_the_Living_Dead

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780583/

I rated as good as Return of the Killer Tomatoes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:35 am 

Well, after the performance of GRINDHOUSE, I guaran-frickin-tee that we won't see any original semi-big budget Horror flicks from mainstream Hollywood that aren't remakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:58 pm 

it's a shame about grindhouse. I feel bad for not seeing it at the movies. However DVD sales might save it.