The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:09 pm 

Josh Roxxx wrote:
the young woman in the corset i brought asked to go back and have a drink and then come back for Black Sheep

We never came back Giggty giggty

Them: hated it hated it i can not say anything other then, Can i sue the french for a hour and a half of my life being wasted?

LOL thats great..thanks for the laugh man. Although I disagree with the second part, I though Them was pretty good and was surprised by the ending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:30 pm 

I don't have a lot to add. I was suprised at how short the line was when I got there at about 5 after 8. It seemed like the theater was a little less crowded than in years past. I hope that isn't the start of a trend. In the it's small world category, I also saw Tourist Trap for the first time on Night Owl Theater. It was predictable but had a charm of sorts.

Black Sheep might have been my favorite film, though I liked Ils quite a bit as well.

I was sad there were no hot dogs to start the night and that by the first intermission they weren't taking Domino orders. Eventually I got my hot dogs, so all was good.

This marathon seemed to fly by for me and if not for the issues before Near Dark, we would have gotten out awfully close to on time, despite the late start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:05 pm 

My quick overview -

Freaks - Zombie is good, but I love Freaks, so I was fine with the substitute.

Ils/Them - I thought it was great. Dark and creepy with an effective surprise toward the end.

To the Devil a Daughter - Was mostly naptime for me, but that montage was great.

Black Sheep - Was alright.

Tourist Trap - This substitute worked out well for me personally. The Italian cannibal movies are not my thing at all and I was dreading having to sit through Cannibal Ferox. I think TT is decent, I'd definitely take it over CF any day.

Maniac - Is really good.

and Near Dark - Is awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:44 pm 

Ok,back from whirlwind time with my chick and ready to respond.

Yes,Maniac was butchered by cuts. But yet nudity was there which makes me think it's a a Euro or English print which usually cuts gore but leaves nudity.

Son of Dracula is available on Youtube and/or available through many "Alternative(bootleg)"sources like Nightcrew Video,Horror Theatre Video,etc. You probably could have picked up at copy at many bootleggers who were at Cinema Wasteland or Chiller Theatre.

The replacements for Zombie and Make Them Die Slowly as Tourist Trap and Freaks were okay but slowed the pace of the marathon down. Even my girl commented she kept feeling sleepy from the pacing. I loved both movies and was even there when Fritz first showed Tourist Trap. I lived on Fritz since I was about 5 years old and was there every Friday for Double Chiller Theatre till his showed was cancelled by the evil WBNS 10.
Kind of felt there was a lack of monsters during the marathon. How about at least one giant rubber monster movie or something along those lines?

I did pretty much notice all the titles are available on DVD. How about some vintage flicks NOT available on DVD? Even Black Sheep had just come out about 2 weeks before the marathon. Kind of lacked for rarities that you couldn't just stay home and watch. Them was okay but also slow and dragging.

Getting asked about Blood Diner,which we showed at the 3rd All Night Shriek O Rama,it was supposed to be released from Lions Gate later last year but still hasn't come out. It is available on a foreign DVD from Xploited Cinema for a little less than $30 and also includes 2 scenes not in the original Vestron Video or theatre print. If you wish to contact star Carl(Georgie)Crew he is on Myspace.com.

I must also make comment on my "glory days" yearnings of where's the bags of promo buttons and such? Where's all the free posters of yesteryear that used to be waiting at the end of the marathon? Where's the 24 hour fun of many years ago. I kept track of the weekend of when Studio 35 and Drexel had competing marathons and Studio 35 sold out and Drexel had around 225 to 250 so that's around 600 horror fans searching for a marathon. So why not have a 24 hour with a guest or two with a gaggle of prizes and fun? I saw there are new prints of Suspiria and Inferno,so how about getting Argento or Jessica Harper. At any rate I think proper preparing with announcements months before,a 24 hour slate of films and some "celebs" could really prop our formerly mighty marathon back to where it should be. Just my feelings.

And yes I do yearn for the days of the 80s and 90s Drexel North marathons. They were GREAT!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:28 pm 

I agree with you Vince,
I still have my green rubber skeleton from the 94 Drexel marathon lol

But those numbers with the year it was studio vs drexel may be off.

Take into respect that the Studio 35 put the tix up for sale before we knew they had shafted Jeff and Bruce.

So when many (myself included) found out about the Drexel either the tix went to waste or went to both cause what i heard was after many got stuff signed by Tom Savani (why i don't know the guy seems to be at every con and Mcdonalds openings) the joint was empty.

But i digress i know with enough ads it could support a 24 hour run. But i imagine they are working with a small budget and i am just happy to have a thon' 14 or 24 hour to go to.