The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:37 pm 

usinoh wrote:
Dennis wrote:
Nope. I grew up here in Columbus and Fritz ad Superhost were all I recall.

it would have been '81 or '82 when I saw him on late night TV and I have been in Groveport my whole life. I think it was friday nights at 11:00 or Midnight when he was on.

I don't remember that at all.

Tim, are you sure it was not just that water in Groveport? I mean i grew up on the Hilltop so i saw other weird things lol...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:22 pm 

Yes I still have Fritz videotapes of him hosted Gamera Super Monster,Jennifer,Comedy of Terrors,Laserblast,etc. on Double Chiller. But how many people remember Moana's Place from Channel 28? She was an Elvira clone from the middle 80s and is actually our now secretary to Jim Petro,Kim Norris. See Scary Monsters#5 for the article I did many,many years ago. It's the Godzilla cover issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:55 pm 

Yea i do. Do you have any of her shows? And also do you have a link to read your article online?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:18 am 

Don't really know if the article is on The Net anywhere. I know it used to be many years ago. It is referenced on many horror hosts sites. I know Fritz did an article of his own in a Scary Monsters Yearbook soon after that.

I only have a clip I think of Moana's Place. At the time the signal was pretty weak down this way and the quality wasn't worth taping at the time since in those days a videotape used to cost like $7. I think Terry Wharton who used to put out Xenorama Magazine said he has some but he said they had all got destroyed or something.

I know I taped over 2 at least back in those days. One being Scalps when it was showed uncut by mistake. I also taped over probably 14 or so Fritz's including Godzilla vs. Megalon,Trial of Billy Jack,Return of the Giant MOnsters,Twisted Brain,etc. If I only knew. Lucky I still have some.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:34 am 

Superhost was great. I first saw Horror Hotel starring Christopher Lee on his show back around 1973 - 74. I was 7 or 8 at the time and it scared the heck out of me. Over 30 years later, I still love the dark atmosphere of that flick.

It was Superhost that also introduced me to Tormented (1960), which was later featured on MST3K.

I wish there were movie hosts today for my daughter's generation (though I have done a good job raising her on the classics. She's 12 and has seen almost every Godzilla/Gojira/Mothra/Gamera/Kaiju etc. flick in the original Japanese. She likes her Gojira figures and Mothra plushies more than Barbies). I'm sure a lot of you would agree that those hosts of yesteryear helped to shape us into the horror/sci-fi/film Mavens that many of us are today.

http://geeksanddorks.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:13 am 

Josh Roxxx wrote:
usinoh wrote:
Dennis wrote:
Nope. I grew up here in Columbus and Fritz ad Superhost were all I recall.

it would have been '81 or '82 when I saw him on late night TV and I have been in Groveport my whole life. I think it was friday nights at 11:00 or Midnight when he was on.

I don't remember that at all.

Tim, are you sure it was not just that water in Groveport? I mean i grew up on the Hilltop so i saw other weird things lol...

It could have been the water or maybe all the drug smoke the lofted into Groveport from Westerville :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:25 pm 

Quote:
I wish there were movie hosts today for my daughter's generation (though I have done a good job raising her on the classics. She's 12 and has seen almost every Godzilla/Gojira/Mothra/Gamera/Kaiju etc. flick in the original Japanese. She likes her Gojira figures and Mothra plushies more than Barbies). I'm sure a lot of you would agree that those hosts of yesteryear helped to shape us into the horror/sci-fi/film Mavens that many of us are today.

Have you by chance ever heard of a currently operating horror host called Son Of Ghoul?

He operates out of Akron, Ohio.

http://www.sonofghoul.net/

He also makes several convention appearances including Cinema Wasteland. I got to meet him there, hell of a guy. 8)