The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Slasher movies or not???
Yes, please show more slasher films starting with My Bloody Valentine 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
No, although slasher movies are great I would rather not have them at the marathons 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Bruce and Joe are so cool I will be there no matter what 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 13
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:30 pm 

Ok with the upcoming release of "My Bloody Valentine 3-D" in January of 2009 I think it would be a perfect time to expand the scope of the Horror Marathon to include slasher films and the best way to do that is to show the Original "My Bloody Valentine" at this years marathon.

Several people have asked for it and this would be the perfect year for it. The slasher genre has been overlooked (with the exception of HALLOWEEN) for far to long.

Of coarse this is just my opinion so I attached a poll to see how the board feels....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:54 pm 

Don't forget Black Christmas played in 2006.

I wouldn't mind one slasher film in the lineup every year or so, but I wouldn't want to overdo it. Provided that it's a good one and not one of the run-of-the-mill knockoffs. My Bloody Valentine isn't bad, and this would be the best time to show it before the remake ruins it for everyone. I have heard good things about an obscure film called Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker which is finally arriving on DVD this year. That might make for an excellent "premiere" if a print could be found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:34 am 

WolfNC17 wrote:
Don't forget Black Christmas played in 2006.

I wouldn't mind one slasher film in the lineup every year or so, but I wouldn't want to overdo it. Provided that it's a good one and not one of the run-of-the-mill knockoffs. My Bloody Valentine isn't bad, and this would be the best time to show it before the remake ruins it for everyone. I have heard good things about an obscure film called Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker which is finally arriving on DVD this year. That might make for an excellent "premiere" if a print could be found.

I agree it shouldn't be over done, just 1 or 2 per 'thon would be just fine. Also "Hatchet" would make a good premiere, it's available on DVD but didn't play in theaters But I prefer a classic like My Bloody Valentine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:55 am 

I was trying to remember when Black Christmas played and was too busy to look it up. The problem with the 12 hour format is some genres will get skipped some years. If we ever go back to 24, I would say at minimum one slasher film per year. Much like at the sci fi, where there are several genres that are almost always represented.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:39 pm 

I would have to say that two slasher films tops for an 18 hour 'thon to 24 hour 'thon. The Studio 35 'thon with Bruce Campbell (24 hours) had probably one of the best mixes of sub-genre's within the Horror Marathon. Outstanding combination of classic B&W and modern horror as well as the crowd fave CGI-less Dog Soldiers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:01 am 

It'll make him blush through his beard, but Joe did a fantasic job with the lineups at Studio 35. I'm looking at the last two fliers from there, which are on my cube wall. He did strike the perfect balance. The 12 hour lineups are very good as well, given the limitations, but the breadth of his selctions when he has 24 hours, while still keeping a theme, like Zombie at Studio 35 Year 5, is impressive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:46 pm 

I sadly never made it to any of the Studio 35 marathons (performing at the Renaissance Festival kind of put a crimp in those plans), but the line-ups did seem to be excellent.

While I have no wish to push our hard-working host entitites, I'd dearly love to see the Horror 'thon get back to being a 24 hour.

But to keep this somewhat on-topic, yeah, I'm all for a slasher film or two in the line-up. I couldn't handle a horror marathon where the bulk of the films were slasher movies, but one or two would be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:06 pm 

I am all for a slasher movie. I realize not everyone is as sleazy as i am so i think at least one is enough. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:15 pm 

There is certainly a place in any marathon for slasher films. But, unless you are an obsess...ahem...an enthusiast, there are plenty of garbage "slasher" films that are painful to watch, not even in the "good" bad category. The key to any successful lineup is a good mix. If the SciFi marathon was nothing but Lady Terminator or Journey to the Seventh Planet types, you might as well call it a Schlockfest which would attrct a different crowd. Those films were quite fun sprinkled in amongst the classics and more "serious" films this year, but I for one would not attend a "Schlockfest." it's just not my style.

Plus, I don't think Joe has strayed away from the slasher genre. In addition to the above examples, just last year you had Maniac and I believe Tourist Trap would be classified as a slasher film, though certainly not hardcore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:03 pm 

I'll be there no matter what, but yes to more slashers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:54 pm 

Just thinking, a good "new" slasher film to get would be the long-delayed All the Boys Love Mandy Lane, which is supposed to be excellent. Assuming we could get our collective hands on it of course. :P