The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:28 am 

I have not seen us on the list of only 100 theatres lions gate is putting this out at then right to DVD....

A movie based on Clive Barkers short story from The Books Of Blood gets 100 theatres but House of the Dead gets mass release? WTF?

Why is Lions Gate burying this film? :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:30 pm 

It's only going to be released to "dollar theaters" or the bargain-basement places that normally play second-run films. Check the listings for your local cheap theaters. I don't know about Columbus, but I know there's one in Youngstown that has it. I'm about 40 minutes away from there so I may make the drive.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/to ... hp?id=7154

What I've heard is that there's a new regime at Lions Gate that is burying all the leftover films from the previous one (except Saw 5, of course). They are supposedly moving in a new direction and abandoning most of their horror and other genre films to go "mainstream". Which sucks, but that's Hollywood for you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:43 am 

Hey everyone, I saw an updated list that shows the movie playing at the Cinemark Movies 12 in Columbus. So I hope all horror fans will go see the movie and enjoy. At these prices, there's no reason not to!

I just read that Lions Gate is contractually obligated to the film's producers, Lakeshore Entertainment, to show the film in at least 100 theaters. So this is apparently their way of fulfilling their contract without having to spend money to advertise the film. The dollar theaters are getting a deal on future LG films as incentive to carry this movie. This little scam was the brainchild of the studio's new head, Joe Drake. So he's the one to blame for burying the movie. But at least we will have the chance to see it in a theater for a decent ticket price, so technically it's not all bad for us. Too bad for Kitamura and the other filmmakers though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:05 pm 

Yea, I've read alot about that as well. It's Lionsgate's way of trying to go more "Mainstream" which i saw that Oliver Stone's, bio pick on Bush called simply "W" is being put out through Lions Gate films...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:13 am 

Saw the movie Saturday night and really liked it. I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece or anything, but it's a good, solid old-school horror movie with lots of blood (if you're into that sort of thing). If you get a chance, it's worth checking out, and the price is certainly right (I paid a whopping $2.25). Really glad I had the opportunity to see it on the big screen. If you miss it, check out the DVD when it comes out. Good flick. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:08 pm 

It is still playing, I might check it out this weekend.