The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:55 pm 

My 14 year old daughter has been wanting to see the remake of PROM NIGHT however she knows my rule about watching remakes...she has to watch the original first!!!

So Wednesday night we sat down and watched the original PROM NIGHT and I am happy to say she really liked it and it had her scared a few times.

Last night we watch the "remake" I put remake in quotes because like so many remakes these days it was a remake in name only, the 2 movies share the same title and thats about it.

After watching both movies my teenage daughter said, wow the original was so much better and creepier, there really was no story to the new movie.

It was at that moment I realized I am raising my child correctly and that there is Hope for the future of Horror!!!

Add Prom Night to the ever growing list of remakes to avoid:

1) The Fog - By far the worst remake ever, I would rather sit through Steel Magnolias again than this movie, yes my wife talked me into watching Steel Magnolias years ago and it was, in a word, torture BUT atleast when Tom Skerritt was on the screen I could think about ALIEN.

2) Dawn of the Dead - ok we have zombies (sort of) and a mall (sort of) other than that nothing even close to the original

3) Peter Jackson's King Kong - Perfect example if you give a great director to much cash he will make a piece of crap.

3) Amityville Horror - I am just to big a fan of the original movie, plus the stupid Ghost effects were not scary and not needed.

4) Black Christmas - I really don't care for either version the original is better by far.

5) Halloween - I had high hopes for Rob Zombie, but not even Rob can remake Halloween and make it good.

Some Remakes worth seeing:

1) John Carpenter's The Thing - BEST REMAKE EVER!!!

2) Philip Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Jeff Goldblum

3) David Cronenberg's The Fly - Ever Notice Jeff Goldblum is in 2 of the best remakes ever?

4) Jaume Collet-Serra's House of Wax - Actually not a bad movie but once again had nothing to do with the Original Vincent Price Classic. And Elisha Cuthbert is easy on the eyes.

5) Simon West's When a Stranger Calls - Camilla Belle did a great job in this movie and there was much more suspense than in the original.

6) William Malone's House on Haunted Hill - I am a HUGE fan of William Castle and I honestly feel he would have liked this version, to much CGI but over all a fun movie with fun characters and of coarse Jeffery Combs.

7) Steve Beck's Thir13en Ghosts - Tony Shalhoub and Matthew Lillard are enough reason to see this movie but I thought over all it was a good movie and very gory!!!

Not Sure which list Marcus Nispel's Friday the 13th will be on yet but after seeing the trailer I am hoping in will be on the "SEE" List!!!

Last edited by Jaws3dfan on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:16 am 

My son is only 5 so I have to wait a bit longer. I have been easing him into scifi, though that has been an odd experience. His frame of reference for Star Wars is the Lego games, not the movies. So the first time he watched Star Wars he asked why the ships weren't made out of Legos.

As for your list, where does the Haunting remake fall?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:44 am 

I'm in a similar boat to Dennis. My eldest daughter is almost four - and mildly autistic, which makes it difficult to expose her to anything violent.

She loves to play with Daddy's prop lightsabers, but I don't think she contemplates that they're weapons. They're just big glowing toys. She does have a toy X-Wing Fighter with Luke and R2 that she likes to play with - she even recognizes that the stick in Luke's hand is a lightsaber. But I haven't yet tried to get her to watch the films.

Someday...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:59 am 

Quote:
2) Dawn of the Dead

Despite being a fan of the original I also enjoyed the remake from a horror/action/violence perspective. They are for all intents and purposes two completely different films, I don't even consider the new Dawn a remake myself.

Quote:
3) King Kong - Perfect example if you give a great director to much cash he will make a piece of crap.

Which does not change the fact that Rick Baker's work on Kong and his portrayal of him were superb, as was the performance of Jeff Bridges. In this film Jeff reminded me so much of Christopher Lee, a man who often found himself in terrible films yet still gave his all as an actor to churn out a good role.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:45 am 

Mecha74 wrote:
Quote:
3) King Kong - Perfect example if you give a great director to much cash he will make a piece of crap.

Which does not change the fact that Rick Baker's work on Kong and his portrayal of him were superb, as was the performance of Jeff Bridges. In this film Jeff reminded me so much of Christopher Lee, a man who often found himself in terrible films yet still gave his all as an actor to churn out a good role.

I think that usinoh was referring to the Peter Jackson King Kong, not the 1976 John Guillermin King Kong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:51 pm 

Well i quite liked Steel Magnolias myself.....

and yes one of my son'd first's words was zombie (actually true)
and my soon to be one year old daughter sleeps with a stuffed cthulhu and drags it around....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:56 pm 

Speaking of the Friday The !3th remake here is some good shots of the new Jason...gotta say it looks good and that trailer was vicious so who knows?

http://www.horrorbid.com/forum/viewtopi ... =71&t=1731

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:59 pm 

Josh Roxxx wrote:
Speaking of the Friday The !3th remake here is some good shots of the new Jason...gotta say it looks good and that trailer was vicious so who knows?

http://www.horrorbid.com/forum/viewtopi ... =71&t=1731

Yeah, but no Kane Hodder though. :(

Quote:
I think that usinoh was referring to the Peter Jackson King Kong, not the 1976 John Guillermin King Kong.

Hmmm, well since there is no date listed I guess we'll have to wait until he returns to further clarify.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:33 am 

AEinhorn wrote:
Mecha74 wrote:
Quote:

you are correct, I liked the Jeff Bridges, Jessica Lange Version!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:41 am 

I find is strange that the 1976 King Kong is consider a bomb. $52,614,445 is not bad for 1976 dollars. There was a sequal in 1986.

I do like the Peter Jackson Remake.

Rob Zombie's Halloween was better than Halloween 2, and Reserection.

Here is some other remakes sequels in name only horror flicks to stay away from:

Day of the Dead

Day of the Dead 2 Contagium stay away from this sequel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:50 pm 

willcail wrote:
I find is strange that the 1976 King Kong is consider a bomb. $52,614,445 is not bad for 1976 dollars.

I agree and it was a great action film!!

willcail wrote:
Rob Zombie's Halloween was better than Halloween 2, and Resurrection.

I am a huge fan of Halloween 2 but Resurrection was horrible.

willcail wrote:
Here is some other remakes sequels in name only horror flicks to stay away from:

Day of the Dead

Day of the Dead 2 Contagium stay away from this sequel.

Also add:

Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes
Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Here is one to add to the "worth seeing" list:

The Blob (1988)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:56 pm 

Josh Roxxx wrote:
Well i quite liked Steel Magnolias myself....

SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!!SPOILER ALERT!!SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!!SPOILER ALERT!!

Did you cry when Julia Roberts Died :?: :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:33 pm 

usinoh wrote:
Josh Roxxx wrote:
Well i quite liked Steel Magnolias myself....

SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!!SPOILER ALERT!!SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!!SPOILER ALERT!!

Did you cry when Julia Roberts Died :?: :P

Why yes, Yes i did...but then again i also have track lighting and ferns...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:55 pm 

Speaking of remakes, Death Race is a total piece of ****.

Paul W. S. Anderson is definitely not "a dear friend of mine". :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:46 pm 

usinoh wrote:
AEinhorn wrote:
Mecha74 wrote:
Quote:

you are correct, I liked the Jeff Bridges, Jessica Lange Version!!

Interesting, that's the first time I've heard anyone say that.

Quote:
I find is strange that the 1976 King Kong is consider a bomb. $52,614,445 is not bad for 1976 dollars.

It wasn't a bomb financially, the film itself however seems to be universally despised.

Quote:
There was a sequal in 1986.

It however did bomb.

Quote:
Here is one to add to the "worth seeing" list:

The Blob (1988)

Couldn't agree more.