The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:09 pm 

Time heals all wounds, maybe it's time to talk to the people at studio 35 again and rebuild burned bridges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:11 pm 

What the hell I thought we were all hoping for a 24 hour marathon this year and now the theater is closing?
Didn't Studio get some new owners?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:28 am 

The same new owners that the entire staff mutinied by literally walking out on? Yeah...a lot of people aren't so happy with the new Studio 35. Drexel East is cool with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:54 pm 

The Studio 35 owner you're referring to has since partnered with Eric Brembeck. As far as I can tell, being a Studio 35 regular, Brembeck pretty much runs the place now despite only having a half share of the theater. He's brought on a series of renovations including an entirely new digital sound system. The walkout situation did mar Studio 35's image, but it's in the past and the theater is now better than ever.

Drexel East is great choice too, and the food services are spectacular. But really, as long as there's a theater with seats I'll be happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:59 pm 

keystone wrote:
Drexel East is great choice too, and the food services are spectacular. But really, as long as there's a theater with seats I'll be happy.

I wouldn't mind having to BYOC (Bring Your Own Chair) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:28 am 

I think the Drexel East is just fine. There is something to be said about the shoebox shape of the old Drexel North or Grandview. But the food was a huge step up at the East.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:19 pm 

NOOOOOO!!!!!

I know a lot of folks kvetch about the comfort level at the Grandview, but, dammit, there's something unique about the single-screen theater experience. Everyone in the building is there because they want to see the same thing that you do. The sound system may not be optimal, but for most of the films that are screened at a marathon, it's perfect! New theaters are just so bland and characterless. One looks just like the other. Old single-screen theaters have charm.

I know that today's economic situation has made old movie houses a thing of the past, but I will forever miss them. I'd give up my DTS sound and stadium seating in a heartbeat for a good single-screen repertory theater. They just don't build them like http://www.byrdtheatre.com/ any more. If you're ever in Richmond, VA, you seriously owe it to yourself to take in a movie there.

R.I.P. Drexel Grandview. You were a grand old lady.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:38 am 

I enjoyed the four marathons that I attended at the Grandview.

R.I.P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:59 am 

DTS sound? I can't live without digital surround sound. Too bad that their isn't a SDDS home system.

I'm more concern on the digital projection systems. I like the anamorphic prints. I like the 2.40:1 aspect ratio. I like Cinemascope format films. Will studios will modify those movies and conventional 70MM films. I would not want to see a 1.85:1 or 1.77:1. versions of those movies. Including movies that was done in Super 35. (Don't get me started on Super 35 films. Damn you RKO Pictures for creating Superscope) I want to see unused space on my HDTV when watching 2.00:1 to 2.75:1 aspect ratio films.

Well I hope the tix's will be on sale soon.