The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:22 pm 

I'll give it a try without repeating others' guesses.

Joe Neff wrote:
*An infamous and often banned international sub-classic that has yet to play at a Columbus Marathon.

I Spit on Your Grave

Quote:
*An early work from an internationally acclaimed, award-winning director that is both entirely like and entirely unlike his current output. This, too, has never played a Columbus Marathon.

Tough one. Evil Dead has played at a marathon, can't re-use the Feebles, Uwe Boll's House of the Dead is too obvious...

Steven Spielberg's Duel. Crystal Skull similarities: trucks in the desert and, of course, Dennis Weaver surviving a nuke.

Seriously, I got nothing.

Quote:
*An atmospheric, haunting mid-career work by yet another internationally acclaimed director that has (again) never played the Columbus Marathon, although a rather significant connection can be made between this director and an Ohio celebrity....or should I say, a well-known Ohioan who should be a celebrity.

Ohioan = Ray Wise = Twin Peaks = director David Lynch = Blue Velvet or Lost Highway

Quote:
*A classic shocker from a mega-influential horror icon, which has previously played the Columbus Marathon and can be connected (in a roundabout way) to the Jeff Daniels comedy Something Wild.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre '74?! :shock:

Quote:
*Another classic shocker which from a genre favorite which features a starring turn by a legendary actor who I once met at the Drexel, and who has Ohio ties. As a side clue, I fell asleep during this movie the first time I saw it at a Marathon, although that was more because of the time frame than the quality of the film.

Martin Sheen in David Cronenberg's Stephen King's The Dead Zone.

Last edited by Cody on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

carter9000 wrote:
*An early work from an internationally acclaimed, award-winning director that is both entirely like and entirely unlike his current output. This, too, has never played a Columbus Marathon.

- Shivers - the clue is "entirely like and entirely unlike his current output."
-

Ah, my amnesiac friend, but Shivers a.k.a. They Came From Within played the 2nd Annual Night of the Living Drexel. Try again.

Cody wrote:

Quote:

Uwe Boll's House of the Dead is too obvious...

HA! Boll's Razzie nominations don't count. Although he was nominated for the Max Ophuls Award. Still, no awards, no acclaim, no dice.

Quote:
*An atmospheric, haunting mid-career work by yet another internationally acclaimed director that has (again) never played the Columbus Marathon, although a rather significant connection can be made between this director and an Ohio celebrity....or should I say, a well-known Ohioan who should be a celebrity.

Ohioan = Ray Wise = Twin Peaks = director David Lynch = Blue Velvet or Lost Highway

Now that would be interesting.

usinoh wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:
The Hunger

Didn't know that David Bowie was born in Toledo, now did you?

Didn't he date a Hustler Model? looking for that Larry Flint connection :)

I was trying to guess a movie you fell asleep in :D actually I think you told me this at some point but I can't remember.

Tim, Tim, Tim...how could I ever fall asleep during The Hunger, everyone's favorite Marathon flick? Although maybe I just have a Hunger/Suspiria double feature in my back pocket for this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:03 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
HA! Boll's Razzie nominations don't count. Although he was nominated for the Max Ophuls Award. Still, no awards, no acclaim, no dice.

Acclaimed, reviled. Potato, po-tah-to.

(And thank you for no Boll.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:34 pm 

Oh I guess I'll take a stab at it.

Quote:
*An infamous and often banned international sub-classic that has yet to play at a Columbus Marathon.

Tenebrae?

Quote:

I'm thinking Peter Jackson as well. Frightners? Bad Taste showed at one of the sci-fi marathons.

Quote:

Diary of the Dead?

Quote:
*A classic shocker from a mega-influential horror icon, which has previously played the Columbus Marathon and can be connected (in a roundabout way) to the Jeff Daniels comedy Something Wild

The Silence of the Lambs? (directed by Jonathan Demme)

Quote:
*Another classic shocker which from a genre favorite which features a starring turn by a legendary actor who I once met at the Drexel, and who has Ohio ties. As a side clue, I fell asleep during this movie the first time I saw it at a Marathon, although that was more because of the time frame than the quality of the film.

Note really a shocker, but Army of Darkness? It showed at around 3-4am at one of the earlier marathons that Joe might have been old enough to finally go to :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:22 pm 

Incase anyone wonders how I connected TCM '74 and Something Wild - TCM production manager Ron Bozman was associate producer and 1st A.D. on Something Wild.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:33 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:

I think the first guess on this was correct considering it was booked last year and was only cancelled due to a mix-up on the date.

Joe Neff wrote:

If I am interpreting this correctly, it is the one which I contributed in part to tracking down the print source, and it has been guessed correctly by someone above.

Joe Neff wrote:

Everything here points to Philip Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers except for the "never played the Columbus Marathon" part. Unless Joe is referring only to the Horror marathons and not counting it's appearance at the Science Fiction marathon in 1993. (He does use the qualifier "the" instead of "a" like the first two clues, so you never know...)

Joe Neff wrote:
*A classic shocker from a mega-influential horror icon, which has previously played the Columbus Marathon and can be connected (in a roundabout way) to the Jeff Daniels comedy Something Wild.

I think Cody may have gotten this one right. (Joe's not denied it yet). I'm getting more envoius of you guys as we speak, sigh...

Joe Neff wrote:

The Dead Zone is also a good guess, but Martin Sheen was the supporting role and not the "starring turn." Plus, I think it's apperance at the marathon was before Joe's time, but I could be wrong. Joe has discussed when it all started for him before, but my memory is not perfect.

If you guys are able to snag all those titles, it sounds like a swell night. I wish I could be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:50 am 

Hey Joe, let me know if you got my PM.

As for the films in question, I don't have any better guesses than those provided already. You guys always impress.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:03 am 
Site Admin

IamJacksUserID wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:

Joe Neff wrote:

Everything here points to Philip Kaufman's Invasion of the Body Snatchers except for the "never played the Columbus Marathon" part. Unless Joe is referring only to the Horror marathons and not counting it's appearance at the Science Fiction marathon in 1993. (He does use the qualifier "the" instead of "a" like the first two clues, so you never know...)

Wow, now you're analyzing qualifiers. Tres impressive, but the "a" and "the" were meant to refer to the general Columbus Marathon, Science Fiction and Horror. So, Invasion of the Body Snatchers is out. And no, The Dead Zone is also not on the slate for this year. But I'll say no more for now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:37 pm 

We have to get credit for good guesses, though. Don't we?

Joe Neff wrote:

Wow, now you're analyzing qualifiers.

I really wish there were a "sarcasm" emoticon so people don't think I'm just an overanalyzing, obsessive dork. (Not that I'm not all those things, but still...) That's the problem with cyberspace communication, I guess. I'm also still trying to figure out if the syntactically incorrect repetition of the word "which" in the final clue has any hidden meaning. Hmmm...

Joe Neff wrote:
Tres impressive, but the "a" and "the" were meant to refer to the general Columbus Marathon, Science Fiction and Horror. So, Invasion of the Body Snatchers is out. And no, The Dead Zone is also not on the slate for this year. But I'll say no more for now.

I think we can also take this to mean that the one's he is not denying are correct. DING!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:13 pm 

usinoh wrote:
My Bloody Valentine
Yay!
Though I'm still waiting for the My Bloody Valentine/April Fools Day double feature.

Quote:
Piranha
I'd rather see Piranha 2: The Quickening!

Seriously though, Piranha 2 had Lance Henrickson in it! How could anyone say no to that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:35 am 

I'm thinking I... Spit On Your Grave will be screen.