The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, okay...I'll give you a Marathon update!

Was I the only one thinking about The Mist over the last few days?

Anyway, it's been way too long since Bruce or I posted any sort of info on this board in order to, ya know, entice you to actually want to attend the Marathon this year. "But Joe", some of you might say, "I's attend the event even if there were no films, just to see you and Bruce hold court, with your winning mutual charisma and dynamic good looks!" Yes, well, maybe some day.

In the meantime, I can give you some confirmed information and some speculation to keep you interested. As of right now, The 5th Annual INCREDIBLE 2-HEADED MARATHON: NO NICKNAME AT PRESS TIME will rise from the dead at 10pm Saturday October 18th at the Drexel East Theater in beautiful (and soon to be blood-stained) downtown Bexley, returning to its damned abode at or around Noon Sunday October 19th. When I last checked, Bruce was working on a ticket that might go on sale this weekend, although the power outages might push that back a bit.

The films? Well, I don't want to jinx anything, so I'll just give you a few hints at possible titles, all of which are in various states of confirmation. They (possibly) include:

*An infamous and often banned international sub-classic that has yet to play at a Columbus Marathon.

*An early work from an internationally acclaimed, award-winning director that is both entirely like and entirely unlike his current output. This, too, has never played a Columbus Marathon.

*An atmospheric, haunting mid-career work by yet another internationally acclaimed director that has (again) never played the Columbus Marathon, although a rather significant connection can be made between this director and an Ohio celebrity....or should I say, a well-known Ohioan who should be a celebrity.

*A classic shocker from a mega-influential horror icon, which has previously played the Columbus Marathon and can be connected (in a roundabout way) to the Jeff Daniels comedy Something Wild.

*Another classic shocker which from a genre favorite which features a starring turn by a legendary actor who I once met at the Drexel, and who has Ohio ties. As a side clue, I fell asleep during this movie the first time I saw it at a Marathon, although that was more because of the time frame than the quality of the film.

So there you are, ya bloodthirsty bastahds! Have fun guessing, and hopefully we'll have more definite word in the coming days. Until then...stay scared.

-Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:56 pm 

hmmm...I smell a Leprechaun-series marathon!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:44 am 

Is one of these Puppet Masters vs. Demonic Toys? If not, I don't care. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:52 am 

*An infamous and often banned international sub-classic that has yet to play at a Columbus Marathon.

Cannibal Ferox?

*An early work from an internationally acclaimed, award-winning director that is both entirely like and entirely unlike his current output. This, too, has never played a Columbus Marathon.

Dead/Alive or Bad Taste? (Evil Dead?... I forget if Raimi's won awards)

*A classic shocker from a mega-influential horror icon, which has previously played the Columbus Marathon and can be connected (in a roundabout way) to the Jeff Daniels comedy Something Wild.

Day Of The Dead? (mainly because of the picture you posted and that I have no idea, but I'm sure I'll be kicking myself when you tell us what this is)

*An atmospheric, haunting mid-career work by yet another internationally acclaimed director that has (again) never played the Columbus Marathon, although a rather significant connection can be made between this director and an Ohio celebrity....or should I say, a well-known Ohioan who should be a celebrity.

"International", "haunting", and "atmospheric".... Suspiria? (but "mid-career"?...no idea...is this one Day Of The Dead?)

*Another classic shocker which from a genre favorite which features a starring turn by a legendary actor who I once met at the Drexel, and who has Ohio ties. As a side clue, I fell asleep during this movie the first time I saw it at a Marathon, although that was more because of the time frame than the quality of the film.

No idea... I had a guess but it was dumb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:54 am 

BloodPepsi wrote:

Dead/Alive or Bad Taste? (Evil Dead?... I forget if Raimi's won awards

Dead/Alive has played at a Columbus Marathon. It was still going under it's original title of Brain Dead then, but it has played.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:58 am 

yeah, I wasn't so sure about what's been shown at Columbus marathons before 2000.

As for the "mid-career" movie, I just want it to be Prince Of Darkness...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:07 am 

Hey that's not Ving Rhames in the picture!!! (Hope that people get the reference.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:32 am 

Thanks for the info, Joe. You should get Bruce to have you two do a lecture series on Horror at the Wexner Center. I would be willing to sit and listen to you two for an hour or two non stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:34 am 
Site Admin

BloodPepsi wrote:

Day Of The Dead? (mainly because of the picture you posted and that I have no idea, but I'm sure I'll be kicking myself when you tell us what this is)

Well, Day of the Dead has never played the Columbus Marathon, so no go on this clue. And come on: would I be that obvious to post a picture from one of the hinted-at flicks? Well, maybe I would...but in any case....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:35 am 

Dead Alive also played at the zombie themed Studio 35 marathon in '03.

Day of the Dead would be great, it's one I've been hoping for since I started going to marathons.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:00 pm 

Joe you should have made these a little more difficult:

Joe Neff wrote:

Faces of Death

Joe Neff wrote:

Meet the Feebles

Joe Neff wrote:

My Bloody Valentine

Joe Neff wrote:

Piranha

Joe Neff wrote:

The Hunger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

usinoh wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:

The Hunger

Didn't know that David Bowie was born in Toledo, now did you?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:05 pm 

Joe Neff wrote:
usinoh wrote:
Joe Neff wrote:

The Hunger

Didn't know that David Bowie was born in Toledo, now did you?

Didn't he date a Hustler Model? looking for that Larry Flint connection :)

I was trying to guess a movie you fell asleep in :D actually I think you told me this at some point but I can't remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:27 pm 

I'm guessing #2 is Bad Taste and #4 is The Birds? Maybe? No clue on the others. Speaking of which, how about showing The Others some year? Damn good movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:09 pm 

The only two that I have guesses for are:

- Cannibal Ferox

- Shivers - the clue is "entirely like and entirely unlike his current output."

-