The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:41 am 

MarathonVet wrote:
L.A. Connection wrote:
To all those defenders of the remake - Tell me what was original or worthwhile about the new movie to, other than doing it in English??

In my opinion, your making WAY too much out of this. You can't stop the production of remakes. Like it or not, they are a permanent fixture in Hollywood. I'm not really a fan of remakes myself, and I agree that remaking "Let the Right One In" was not necessary at all. My only point was that, as far as remakes go, they did a really good job on "Let Me In". Remakes usually remove everything that I thought was cool about a movie, and replace it with whatever is trendy or make huge changes in order to attract a new and younger audience. I have accepted the things I cannot change (the over bombardment of remakes) and in doing so, I can appreciate "Let Me In" as a horror movie that I enjoyed.

Just because we can't "change" the fact that remakes and "reimaginings" are a large part of Hollywood doesn't mean we can't argue about their merit. Remakes have been and always will be a good topic for debate and discussion. I have yet to see Let Me In, but a lot of folks are making valid arguments as to why it was not necessary artistically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:46 am 

I have a question I want other posters here to chime in on about the caretaker. Whether it be the book or either film.

SPOILERS!

I can see the need for a caretaker to transport her around, move freely in daylight and aquire various things that a child could not in basic society, but killing for her?

It's obvious that Eli/Abby is a far more stealthy, stronger and effective hunter more than capable of catching her own prey than the caretaker ever could. That goes for disposing of the bodies as well. With her atleast metahuman(if not superhuman strength) she would seem far more able to accomplish that task than the merely human bumbling and aging caretaker.

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:22 am 

Great observation, Mecha. You're absolutely right. I'm not sure why those duties were necessary, unless she was too weak at times? Backup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:12 am 

You bring up a fantastic point. My only guess would be that when she feeds, she loses control and makes a huge mess. The caretaker may be able to do it with less mess and faster cleanup. My only other guess would be to give her protection during the daytime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:25 pm 

In that frenzied feeding state, she wouldn't have the cognitive ability to plan out a clean kill, and furthermore would not be able to properly dispose of the body.....

SPOILERS!!!!!.....

for example, when she kills the guy in the underpass, it was a complete mess...also, the caretaker was obviously friends with her when he was young, and has a loyalty to help her....