The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:05 pm 

I was thinking that since 3D is making a HUGE comeback with all of these movies being released in 3D, like Spy Kids 3D: Game Over, Shark Boy And Lava Girl, Fly Me To The Moon, Journey To The Center Of The Earth, Bolt, Coraline, etc. that a 3D themed horror movie marathon would fit the feel of it. I was thinking how awesome it would be if all the movies shown at this year's horror movie marathon were in 3D. Some 3D horror films are:

"House of Wax" (the original version starring Vincent Price)

Friday the 13th 3

Jaws 3

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare

My Bloody Valentine 3D

Final Destination 4

I even thought of a name for the marathon:

"RETURN OF THE HORROR HOSTS: THE INCREDIBLE TWO-HEADED MARATHON GOES TO THE THIRD DIMENSION"

I just thought I would throw my ideas out there for anyone that wants to use them. I'm looking forward to this year's marathon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:24 pm 

Dman wrote:
I was thinking that since 3D is making a HUGE comeback with all of these movies being released in 3D, like Spy Kids 3D: Game Over, Shark Boy And Lava Girl, Fly Me To The Moon, Journey To The Center Of The Earth, Bolt, Coraline, etc. that a 3D themed horror movie marathon would fit the feel of it. I was thinking how awesome it would be if all the movies shown at this year's horror movie marathon were in 3D. Some 3D horror films are:

"House of Wax" (the original version starring Vincent Price)

Friday the 13th 3

Jaws 3

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare

My Bloody Valentine 3D

Final Destination 4

I even thought of a name for the marathon:

"RETURN OF THE HORROR HOSTS: THE INCREDIBLE TWO-HEADED MARATHON GOES TO THE THIRD DIMENSION"

I just thought I would throw my ideas out there for anyone that wants to use them. I'm looking forward to this year's marathon.

I like the way you think!!!

However here lies the problem:

The Different 3-D types:

My Bloody Valentine 3D and Final Destination 4 both use Digital 3-D

Friday the 13th 3, Jaws 3 and House of Wax use Polarized 3-D

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare uses Anaglyphic 3-D

Anaglyphic 3-D is the easiest to show because it's simply the old Red/Blue Glasses (I actually have Several Hundred Original Freddy's Dead Glasses Unused)

Polarized 3-D uses a special lens and screen both of which the Drexel does not have and are very expensive.

Digital 3-D Needs A high-resolution digital projector using Texas Instruments' DLP Cinema technology. It can be projected with a single Christie, Barco or NEC DLP Cinema projector (other digital projection technologies would work as well if fitted with the proper equipment) at 144 frames per second, six times as fast as a normal movie. And once again Drexel does not have this and it's very expensive.

Trust me you are not alone in your quest for Retro 3-D in Columbus but
there just isn't a theatre that can do it all. The Good news is that Paramount is thiking about doing a Re-Released of FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 3 in 3-D although there is no word on what type of 3-D they would use, I would think they would convert it over to Digital 3-D which would be SWEEET!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:14 pm 

Quote:
Polarized 3-D uses a special lens and screen both of which the Drexel does not have and are very expensive.

Where can those be found, and will they work on films that normally use the Anaglyphic 3-D glasses?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:37 am 

Mecha74 wrote:
Quote:

Where can those be found, and will they work on films that normally use the Anaglyphic 3-D glasses?

I know a local theater equipment company used to have a lens for rent however he told me years ago coming up with the silver screen would be very difficult. Anaglyphic 3-D can be shown on any screem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:45 am 

I don't know that my eyes could handle more than a couple films. Maybe three.

Post subject: 3D
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:14 am 

I remember a long time ago, this boy told me that he visited somewhere, I think in New York, and he said he seen "The Birds" in 3D at some movie theater. That would be awesome if we could see that. Hitchcock is a genius. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:35 pm 

I'm with Dennis, on this one...My eyes could not handle more then 3 and even more so after a couple of beers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:42 am 

The problem is that is there any good 3D horror flicks? With the exception of House of Wax and Friday the 13 3D.

Now I wouldn't mind seeing Freddy's Dead though.

Now I wouldn't mind Dial M for Murder. Not Creature from the Black Lagoon. That movie is good but that movie been screen four five times at the thons.

Post subject: Re: 3D
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:43 am 

Dman wrote:
I remember a long time ago, this boy told me that he visited somewhere, I think in New York, and he said he seen "The Birds" in 3D at some movie theater. That would be awesome if we could see that. Hitchcock is a genius. :D

That was at Universal Studios in Florida unfortunately it's not there anymore, it wasn't the full movie just a few clips as part of an Alfred Hitchcock feature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:45 am 

willcail wrote:
The problem is that is there any good 3D horror flicks? With the exception of House of Wax and Friday the 13 3D.

Now I wouldn't mind seeing Freddy's Dead though.

Now I wouldn't mind Dial M for Murder. Not Creature from the Black Lagoon. That movie is good but that movie been screen four five times at the thons.

I don't know about "Good" but these would be fun:

Amityville 3-D
Parasite
Gorilla at Large
Rotweiler
Revenge of the Creature

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:37 am 

I'm trying to recall, but I think back in the 80s I want to say Channel 4 did Gorilla at large in 3-D. I recall you had to get the glasses at UDF or they came with the Sunday paper or something. Anyone else recall this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:53 am 

These days you have to called the local TV stations by their call letters. Since none of them are going to broadcast on their original channel come June 12 2009. Since WCMH DT is broadcasting on UHF TV14 and will not return to their low VHF channel 4.

For Example

WSYX DT VHF 13
WBNS DT UHF 21
WTTE DT UHF 36
WOSU DT UHF 38
WSFJ DT UHF 24
WWHO DT UHF 46

This is the post transitional channel lineup, for people, like me that have rabbit ears TV. (I would not deal with Time Warner and have a high speed DSL modem so any cable TV shows I want to see can be viewed online or by download.)

Note WDEM flash cut to digital on 2.17.09 and still broadcasting on UHF 17. Plus WTTE and WWHO already stop broadcasting in analog.

Anyway that would be a good pick.