The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Worst Movie?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:26 am 

I know it's horribly early to even begin thinking about another Marathon, but I've been following the progress of the film BEST WORST MOVIE about the making and subsequent cult following of TROLL 2. For those who have never seen TROLL 2, you owe it to yourself to gather some friends, toss back a few brews, and prepare to laugh your butts off. It's truly one of the best "bad" movies ever made.

In any case, the doc was made by the now-grown child star of the film and has been getting really good reviews at film fests. You guys should totally consider showing both TROLL 2 and BEST WORST MOVIE this year, along with having a Q&A with the Director. Just a thought.

No, I'm not a plant. I just genuinely adore TROLL 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:24 pm 

It is never too early. I have never seen Troll 2. I'll put it on my list though. Or maybe I will try to find it to kill time at the hotel this week in Chicago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:11 am 

I actually suggested this last year!! Joe and Bruce got a nice little chuckle and I think Bruce mentioned there is a festival for this movie in the town it was filmed? Can anyone confirm this?

Plus, I just like yelling NILBOG!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:04 pm 

I don't know if there's an annual festival, but if you go to bestworstmovie.com they have a decent history of the film. The site is run by the guy who played the main kid in the film.

I just showed TROLL 2 at my Teen Lock-In that I have at the library every year. It went down VERY well. They were all screaming for Nilbog Milk!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:51 am 

Heas anyone seen "THE ROOM"? It's supposed to be the New Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:47 am 

I remember hearing a lot about The Room, back in 2003 when it was released - not too surprising based on what I read about it that its developed a cult following. Havn't seen it yet, tho - maybe Carter has?

As for Troll 2, I've seen a lot of clips from it - it was the big winner at the Smithee Awards at Origins this year - but have yet to see the whole thing in all it's green slimy gory glory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:12 pm 

usinoh, all I have to say is, DAMN YOU!!!! The night I read your post I went and, ahem, acquired a copy of the film.

Wow.

Just, wow.

The scenes without the lead guy get a little rambly, but every moment with him on screen is cinema magic of the worst and best kind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:01 pm 

geekzapoppin wrote:
usinoh, all I have to say is, DAMN YOU!!!! The night I read your post I went and, ahem, acquired a copy of the film.

Wow.

Just, wow.

The scenes without the lead guy get a little rambly, but every moment with him on screen is cinema magic of the worst and best kind.

Ok, I need to acquire a copy of this film as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:47 pm 

I have been meaning to see the room for over a year now. Just keep postponing. It plays every weekend at a theater here in LA...in fact about a month ago the director was a special guest at a showing and I was at the theater at the same time to see Dead Sno. Was tempted to followup Dead Sno with the Room, but chose not to.

Troll 2 plays soon at the Cinefamily (coolest theater programming ever!) soon. Can't wait to see it. The trailer looks outrageous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:39 am 

Yea, I kinda figured if anyone had seen this, it would be Carter or LAConnection, since it's kind of an LA thing - I don't really think it's spread to the rest of the country yet.

-The Room, that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:11 pm 

I don't believe The Room has caught on in the rest of the country quite yet, even though there was an extensive article on it in Entertainment Weekly about a year ago.

It has played out here a handful of times, but I never made the time to check it out. Our repretory theater is kind of in a financial flux right now, so who knows if I will get the chance again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:27 pm 

It's definitely a film to see with an audience. It has its charms when viewing it alone, but I'd imagine a crowd would increase its enjoyment exponentially.

TROLL 2, on the other hand, works well on its own AND with a crowd. It's Craptacular! I've rarely laughed so hard at something. It's a strange film, in that it really straddles the line whereby you wonder if the filmmakers were in on the joke. It's almost as if they set out to do something serious, realized it was hopeless with the script/cast/budget they had, and gave in to ridiculousness. It's a true Trash Classic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:13 pm 

I saw The Room about a month ago at a midnight showing here in Chicago. It was truly awful in a modern Ed Wood kind of way. Pure melodrama but made with heart. It was kind of a terrible theater experience the kind that would have Carter's blood boiling. It had only played once before in town before I saw it, yet the (fairly packed house) seemed to think it was the next Rocky Horror. Someone showed me 3 printed pages of the callbacks you were supposed to shout out (excessive to say the least. I can't even figure out how you were supposed to read it in the dark or memorize all of it first). But people were just shouting nonsense almost the whole movie and I couldn't hear the atrocious dialogue for myself to get the joke. There's nothing funny about shouting "aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" for an hour and a half. I'd say rent it and watch it with friends and beers if it's available. Terrible audience ruined the fun I was expecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:45 pm 

Well whadoyaknow:

Christmas in August ----> http://www.hulu.com/troll-2