The Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons

The Official Forum of the Ohio Sci-Fi and Horror Marathons
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

I work only to serve The Secret Bread Empire. Send Kevin money now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:48 pm 

Let me dig out my Bread DVD. Hmmm It looks strange seeing the video via HDMI cable. To really serve the Bread Empire you must show Anorher Bread Film on an endless loop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:50 pm 

Quote:
Friday the 13TH 3D released onto DVD in its orginal Arriscope 3D format with 3D glasses. I watch the DVD on a Samsung HDTV using a standard DVD player with HDMI support. The 3D effects comes off just fine.

Whippin' out my nerd card here. I'm 99% certain that the new DVD is actually converted to anaglyphic 3D. Field-sequential doesn't work on the vast majority of digital televisions and polarized, well, isn't possible in the home. Also, the 3D transfer is not great. There are a ton of registration errors that lead to heavy ghosting and eye-strain. Projected on a theater screen, I could see high amounts of upchuckin' happening. There are anaglyphic film prints available. I saw one at a drive-in a couple of years ago. I'm not sure what shape they'd be in now. The film did have some of the better 3D effects of the 1983 craze.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:41 pm 

Sorry to get off topic, but I would like to adress geekzapoppin. Why exactly won't modern digital 3D techniques translate to the digital image produced by modern televisions?

I have always wondered this, because they are both digital signals. Why do DVDs have to do that red and green crap?

You seem like you know your stuff and I am just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:25 am 

For me the 3D effects of the Friday the 13 3D comes off just fine. I know that there are some defective DVD's out there. I did rewatch the movie via composite and componet cables and HDMI wins out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:43 am 

The reason that digital 3D doesn't work at home is that it is accomplished by projecting the separate L and R images sequentially, every three frames. Then a device is placed in front of the projector that is synchronized in such a way as to polarize the L and R images. Since the glasses worn by the audience match the polarization of the projector device, the left eye only sees the left image and the right eye only sees the right one. The frame rate is so high for Digital 3D, that the image doesn't suffer from flicker like older, film-based, methods. Hence, little chance of headaches. Also, the glasses use a form of circular polarization, which allows you to move your head and not lose the 3D effect. That is an overly-simplified explanation, but hopefully it makes sense. Wikipedia has a pretty good article on it.

There are some home projectors that can work similarly to the theater setups, but they are expensive and there aren't many films commercially available that take advantage of it.

If you're seeing an old 3D film in a large theater, then a polarized, two-projector, setup is the way to go. It works really well. It's just hard to properly pull off. You have to get the projectors perfectly aligned, as well as have a literal silver screen in order to bounce enough light back. Remember, the lenses in the glasses are quite dark, so you have to compensate. That's partly why 3D got a bad reputation in the past. The vast majority of the time, the theaters weren't properly-equipped and the projectionists either weren't adequately-trained or just didn't care. When it's done right, it's great. When it's done wrong, it will make you vomit. Modern Digital 3D has solved pretty much all of those problems. It's possible for the studios to make digital versions of their old 3D films. They just have yet to do so.

Some of the guys on this board know much more about film than I do, so feel free to correct any mistakes I've made. I'm just an enthusiast, not an expert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:06 am 

Remember that the 3D version of Friday 3D DVD is a conversion of the original Arriscope 3D format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:51 pm 

(Looks at watch. Looks at calendar. Looks at message board. Looks back at watch. Slams head into desk.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:05 am 

I known the feeling. I hope Joe wouldn't release the movie lineup it will make the wait even worse. I hope I don't give Joe any ideals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

*rumble, rumble*
*BUUUUURP!* - Oops, sorry
*rumble*

No, that's definitely not ME ... I really do think something's coming!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:32 pm 

thump thump...

thump thump...

I think you are just paranoid. That body you buried under the floorboards couldn't possibly be making any noise.

Will you ever have to endure another puny 14 hr mini-marathon?...

NEVERMORE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:22 pm 

damn you people and your teasing!

lineup!

LINEUP!!!!!